Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering vibration
pewe

posted on 25/9/22 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Steering vibration

Hi, Guys. I can detect a slight but annoying vibration through the steering wheel at around 60 which isn't there either above or below that speed.
I've ruled out wheels and tyres by fitting the spare set.
Track rod ends were replaced a few thousand miles ago, alignment done at the same time.
Recent MOT didn't flag up any issues with bushes etc.
I'm now beginning to wonder if the rack's worn or the mounting bushes have gone a bit soggy.
Before I get down and dirty any suggestions gratefully received.
TIA.
Take care out there.
Cheers, Pewe

nick205

posted on 25/9/22 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Wheel bearing
Steering column bearing
Inner joints of the track rods

Slater

posted on 25/9/22 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Brake disc out of balance? Maybe can happen if disc is warped and material is removed unevenly around the disc????

Lost a wheel nut?

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/9/22 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Possibly due to flat spots on the tyres, very common when a car sits for a while between uses. Sadly my experience is the flats can't be removed once the tyre gets a bit old, even with a good hot drive. I've just replaced two fronts on the Fiesta due to this, but they were over 6 years old. Best prevention is to either jack the car up on blocks so the tyres are off the ground or roll the car a bit every few weeks onto a new part of the tyre if stored for a while. It's also a good idea to press the clutch every month over winter to stop it sticking.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 26/9/22 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Possibly due to flat spots on the tyres, very common when a car sits for a while between uses. Sadly my experience is the flats can't be removed once the tyre gets a bit old, even with a good hot drive. I've just replaced two fronts on the Fiesta due to this, but they were over 6 years old. Best prevention is to either jack the car up on blocks so the tyres are off the ground or roll the car a bit every few weeks onto a new part of the tyre if stored for a while. It's also a good idea to press the clutch every month over winter to stop it sticking.

Good call on tyre flat spots and something not many look out for. However, "pewe" mentions he's ruled out wheels and tyres by swapping to his spare set, so that may no be it in this case.

Grimsdale

posted on 26/9/22 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
check if you have the correct hub centric spacer on your wheels - i chased this issue for about a decade before realising my mistake!
pewe

posted on 27/9/22 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I'll give all your suggestions a try
Cheers, Pewe

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.