Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone do 3D drawing?
designer

posted on 29/12/22 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone do 3D drawing?

As I am rubbish at 3D drawing, I'm after anyone around West Yorkshire who could possibly draw my 2D into 3D.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sam_68

posted on 30/12/22 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
What program and what is it you need re-drawing?

I work in 3D with AutoCAD and regularly visit West Yorks (family up there), but you may be better off with someone who uses Solidworks or Fusion 360 on a regular basis (I've got both, but I'm not fluent in them).

HowardB

posted on 30/12/22 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
solidworks has a handy option where a scaled drawing can be scanned in a then drawn round - ideal for 2D to 3D.
still requires some work.

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

bi22le

posted on 31/12/22 at 12:47 AM Reply With Quote
What do you need as 3D drawing is a strange term?

If you want a 2D drawing converting to a file type which can then be machined, milled for example, then it needs to be modelled.

I have SOLIDWORKS and can model. Depending on it's complexity, I can't do particularly complex ergonomic curves known as surfaces.

Stick a pict up of the drawing or just one plane view if it's sensitive so people have some context.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

designer

posted on 31/12/22 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
It's similar to this:

Description
Description

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sam_68

posted on 1/1/23 at 03:38 AM Reply With Quote
That's easy - I'm sure any of us could do that, depending on what software you require it modelling in.

Bi22le's question is relevant, though: why do you need it?

The last spaceframe I modelled in 3D was as part of a full design model that included engine, suspension, bodyshell etc., but the actual spaceframe was then printed as dimensioned 2D orthographic projection drawings for the fabricator to manufacture it

bi22le

posted on 1/1/23 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
It's similar to this:

Description
Description

Solidworks could model this but I'm unsure if would be the preferred route. Unless you intend on adding all of the car components.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

designer

posted on 1/1/23 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
That is the basic layout. Crosspieces, side protection and suspension/steering mounts will be added.
coyoteboy

posted on 5/1/23 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Who's doing what with the model? Do you need a model to edit/continue to add to, or just as a base to work from. Who's going to work on it? What do they have? Bear in mind that if you're modifying it, whoever is modifying it will prefer it in their native format so they don't lose the design history. If they provide it in a univeral STEP or similar format, it's a lot harder to use for anything except an outline.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.