Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Insurance !
maff

posted on 31/8/04 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance !

WOW! absolutely amazed today.
Been planning a kit car for a while, so thought i'd work out if i could afford to insure one!
1st quote for a 250 bhp c20xe engined locost, no limit on milage, fully comp and to be parked on a road - £340!!
that is ace seeing as i'm currently driving a 60 bhp clio which cost £4 less than that to insure!! there is a god after all.

Dave Ashurst

posted on 31/8/04 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
That sounds good. Who was it from?
maff

posted on 31/8/04 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
it was with greenlight insurance.
wilkingj

posted on 1/9/04 at 05:48 AM Reply With Quote
Whats a C20XE engine out of?.. and how easy did it fit. And is it 250Bhp out of the box?. ie did you modify it!

Thanks

Best Regards

Geoff

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Brooky

posted on 1/9/04 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall i think, out of the cavalier GSI. But as usual - i may be wrong.
cornishrob

posted on 1/9/04 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
its the vaux 16 valve lump used in the cav and cali gsi. carlton gsi2000 and mk2 astra gte 16 valve.

Amazing engines if a little unrelaible in these late days for them. brilliant for bolt on tuning as well.

Thats a good insurance quote, i hate being 19 and having to pay extortionate ammounts.

twinturbo

posted on 1/9/04 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Maybee from A GSI2000 but they don't produce anywhere near 250BHP.. Nearer 2 to 250BHP..

Not even the GSI3000 Carlton 3LT 24V Straight 6 Produces 250BHP only 200ish..

The Calibra Turbo lump is well Short of 250BHP too...

TT

twinturbo

posted on 1/9/04 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
It's fairly difficult to get a 2.0 Engine to deliver 250BHP naturaly aspirated.. And it would not be a nice road car engine..

TT

maff

posted on 1/9/04 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
the car isn't built yet, i just wanted quotes before i made a track only car or a road and track car or just road.

the engine is out of a 1989 2l 16v astra gte, some cav gsi's have them, along with some calibra's. mods will be rear wheel drive big wing sump conversion, bellhousing for type 9 ford box. and then the usual stuff omega pistons, throttle boddies, cams etc. the engine is about 150 ish standard, so i'm really expecting 200 - 220bhp, but i put 250 for the quote to see what it would be. because i could go a turbo route. prefer n/a though.

[Edited on 1/9/04 by maff]

twinturbo

posted on 1/9/04 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Do you intend to make it a useable daily driver?

Finding a Calibra Turbo Lump will be more cost effective and give better power vs driveability..

TT

cornishrob

posted on 2/9/04 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
As standard the engine should produce around 150 horses, it is possible to see that kind of power but it is not cheap.

a friend of mine had a nova with 212 n.a horses from said engine, it was cammed, chipped with induction, fuel and exhaust upgrades and very little fuel economy. That car was an animal to drive.

With high compression pistons and throttle bodies, lightened and balancing components, dry sump and silly cams i think it would be possible to see 250 horses or more.
Brilliant engines, think ill stick with a cosworth tho.

maff

posted on 3/9/04 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
yeah calibra turbo engine would be a good idea. was also thinking of 2l zetec for a while. just unsure about sva tests at the moment (need to research it a bit) i would prefer not to have a cat, and easier emmissions test would be nice.
cornishrob

posted on 4/9/04 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
i dont like vauxhall but power for pound vauxhall are best up to around 350-380 horses.

with a calibra turbo engine you can see 360 horses with bolt on modifications (ecu induction exhaust, fueling and boost preassure) you will need some silicon hoses for the boost tho.

It cost me the best part of 3k just to buy the parts for my 2.0 zetec to turbo it properly. and n/a dont expect to see more than 200 even with multi throttles

Simon

posted on 10/9/04 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
"It's fairly difficult to get a 2.0 Engine to deliver 250BHP naturaly aspirated.. And it would not be a nice road car engine"

twinturbo

If Suzuki can get 175bhp from 1300cc and make it useable (ie from 30mph to 200mph in top gear) then I'd have thought 250 bhp from 2l would be reasonable.

ATB

Simon

Tblue

posted on 10/9/04 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Not quite the same as getting big power out of a bike engine, the XE was designed for a car weighing over a ton, hence it has quite a long stroke compared to a bike engine. Bike engines have very short stroke and a larger bore which allows for bigger valves and also short piston skirts. Trouble is with a locost the boundaries for what an engine was designed for are blurred. Car engines are made for torque and bike engines for power which works well with the weights of their intended vehicles. The locost weights fall between the two making both suitable, consequently a 250 horse power N/A car engine wouldn't be that bad (assuming that the gearing is correct). Although I should expect the clutch wear on a BEC to be quite high.
Tblue

posted on 10/9/04 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
As posted on Racecar Forums

What you need to do to an XE to make 250ish

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.