Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sprung/Unsprung weight - wassit all mean?
Cheffy

posted on 11/8/02 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Sprung/Unsprung weight - wassit all mean?

Could someone please explain to a simple chef what the (obvious?) difference between the two is, which is good and which is bad-and why?

Cheers, Mart.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 11/8/02 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Basically everything that can move up and down when you compress the springs (by pressing down on the car) is sprung weight, everthing that can't is unsprung weight.

Wheels, tyres, brake discs, calipers for example, are all unsprung weight.

The idea is that the less unsprung weight
you have the easier it is for your springs and shocks to keep the tyre in contact with the road because of the reduced inertia.
So the easier it is for your shocks and springs to do their job the better.

Probably someone will explain it better, but I hope that helps.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
philgregson

posted on 11/8/02 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
Unsprung weight is all the weight on the car that is not carried by the springs - believe it or not! This would normally include wheels, tyres, brake disks and calipers and a percentage of the weight of drive shafts, suspension arms etc.

Sprung weight is the weight on the car that is carried by the springs and includes - well, everything else really!

In the simplest of terms the unsprung weight is important as it dictates the speed or ease at which the suspension reacts to changes in the road surface.

The higher the unsprung weight relative to the sprung weight and the more likely any deflection of the road wheels will be transfered to the body of the vehicle rather than absorbed by the susspension.

Think in terms of inertia - the wheels etc are a mass and the lighter they are the easier it will be to deflect them. The rest of the car is another mass and the heavier it is (Compared with the unsprung weight) the less likley it is to be deflected and the more likley it is that the movement of the road wheels will be taken up by the springs.

In reality it is far more complicated than that but there is the basic idea.

Reduction in unsprung weight can be carried out in many ways - the most obvious being changing whels for lighter ones - hence alloys. However alloys have now become fashion items as much as tuning accessories and it no-longer necessarily follows that your new set of shiney alloys are any lighter than a good set of steel wheels.

Other ways of reducing unsprung weight include IRS as opposed to a live axle so that the weight of the diff is carried by the chassis of the vehicle rather than attatched to the unsprung axle. Inboard disks and callipers are another way of reducing unsprung weight.

philgregson

posted on 11/8/02 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
I've just read my previous post and it sounds a little garbled - too late and too much beer. I'm sure someone will clarify it for you if it makes too little sense.
Alan B

posted on 11/8/02 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
An example:

Consider IRS v live axle.

If you imagine pressing down on each of these you can easily see what moves relative to the road, and what doesn't

On the live axle you have wheels, tyres, hubs, brakes and the whole axle and diff as unsprung weight, all has to be controlled by the springs/shocks.

Compare to the IRS where only the wheels, tyres,brakes and hubs are unsprung, but significantly the diff. is not.
Obviously in the case the springs/shocks have an easier job keep the tyres on the tarmac

Cheffy

posted on 11/8/02 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Guys,

Funny how it all seems so obvious once somebody explains it. Appreciate the help. Oh, and by the way, both explanations make sense, even after a beer!!

Alan B

posted on 11/8/02 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
- too late and too much beer......

Hmm.. I haven't had a drop so why does mine seem garbled too

Actually though, I think between us we have it covered

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.