Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: suspension book
dblissett

posted on 21/4/04 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
suspension book

i am having a nightmare trying to sort out my irs for my 442 i have used the avon dimentions and as the rear suspension rises the top of the wheels move outwards i think this is possative camber and it should be the oposite
before i loose my temper and scrap the lot can anyone recomend a good book on suspension design or should i give up on irs and get a dedion tube from gts
does this tube fit a +4 chassis
cheers a very pissed off dave

wicket

posted on 21/4/04 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
How to build & modify Sportscar & Kit car Suspension & Brakes; Des Hammill

Simple easy to understand diagrams & description, needs to be read a few times I think to fully understand though.

Mark Allanson

posted on 21/4/04 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have it as well, bloody good book, cheap on Amazon

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

dblissett

posted on 21/4/04 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
as you have both got the book which way did you decide to go with your back suspension irs live axel or dedion
cheers dave

wicket

posted on 21/4/04 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Live axle, Cortina, in a Luego locost chassis.
Mark Allanson

posted on 21/4/04 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Live axle, capri in a book chassis

I will start modifying after the SVA, particularly trailing arm lengths and angles

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

pbura

posted on 21/4/04 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have any way to move your upper chassis pivots down? If you can, that would be the way to get a more satisfactory camber curve.

Here's a free suspension program that will allow you to see what it takes to get camber behavior similar to your front. If you can achieve that, and a roll center that's (1) slightly higher than the front RC, and (2) stays fixed laterally in roll, you're home free.

Suspen

You might also need either longer upper wishbones (or shorter lowers) if you change these pivot locations.

Got a picture of your rear chassis?

Pete

Pete

jcduroc

posted on 21/4/04 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dblissett
i am having a nightmare trying to sort out my irs for my 442 i have used the avon dimentions and as the rear suspension rises the top of the wheels move outwards i think this is possative camber and it should be the oposite ...

Dave
I just found out the same when drawing an Avon-dimentions based IRS; have a look at this thread.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=12252&page=1#pid102651

Use the "suspen" prog that Pete recomends.
I'm designing entirely my rear suspension based on a 1.6 Sierra diff + driveshafts.
How much will your rear track be?

Joćo

JCM

type 907

posted on 21/4/04 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All,

I'v had a go at making my own IRS.
My top wishbone is about two thirds the length of the bottom wishbone. They start off horizontal, and as they rise the top effectively shortens more than the bottom one thus creating negative camber on compression.

I haven't driven it yet, but it looks right.

Paul G

Too much is just enough

jcduroc

posted on 21/4/04 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
IRS Rear Suspension

Try these:

Top wishbone
Chassis mounting from CL: 305 mm
-----"---------"------ from ground: 300 mm
Length: 295.5

Bottom wishbone
Chassis mounting from CL: 178 mm
-----"---------"------ from ground: 140 mm
Length: 407

Upright
CL height from ground: 269.3 (tyre rolling radius)
Top mounting from chassis CL: 585 mm
-----"---------"------ from ground: 594.3mm

Bottom mounting from chassis CL: 585mm
-----"---------"------ from ground: 144.3mm

Track is 1470 mm
Starting camber is 0ŗ (later to change to -0.5ŗ/-1ŗ according to tyres)
Roll center height: 108 mm (4 in. 1/4).

Pls, feed back the results and your opinion.

Cheers
Joćo

JCM

britishtrident

posted on 22/4/04 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know the avon suspension but if the top wishbone is about 2/3 the length of the lower one it is i the right ball park.
The inner pivots for the top and bottom rear wishbones need moved -- most likely the lower one will need to be raised so the lower pivot 0.5" higher at the inner end than the outer and the upper lowered by perhaps 1".

My fvourite suspension book is "How To make Your Car
Handle" author Fred Phun Publisher HP Books ISBN 0-912656-46-8

[Edited on 22/4/04 by britishtrident]

Bob C

posted on 22/4/04 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
To get camber control right, your swing axle length (where lines through wishbone pivots converge) needs to be on the "car" side of the wheel - i.e. the vertical separation of the chassis pivots should be less than the vertical separation of the upright pivots.
All the above applies - try to get an old dos program called "suspen.exe" to locate your roll centre properly if you can be bothered. U2U me if you want it posting to you.
cheers
Bob C

pbura

posted on 22/4/04 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jcduroc
Try these:
[snip]
Upright
[snip]
Pls, feed back the results and your opinion.

Was taking a peek, but outboard top pivot height of 594.3mm appears to be incorrect (taller than the wheel). What's the right measurement?

Your chassis appears to be quite low! Is it for racing?

Pete

Pete

jcduroc

posted on 22/4/04 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pbura
quote:
Try these:
[snip]
Upright
[snip]

Was taking a peek, but outboard top pivot height of 594.3mm appears to be incorrect (taller than the wheel). What's the right measurement?

Your chassis appears to be quite low! Is it for racing?

Pete

Sorry all.
It's 394.3 not 594.3 (typing error).

No Pete it's for fun driving
Ground clearance is to be 115 mm at the front axle plane and 120 mm at the rear (very slight raking)

JCM

pbura

posted on 22/4/04 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
For everybody's info, below is the kind of data you get from Suspen.exe; I added some sub-captions to explain the movements.

Joćo,

Here's your data in Suspen. Sorry about the units of measure, but it was the only way. Camber change looks excessive, but if you raise the upper inboard pivot along the same tube (if possible), you will fix this, and retain the very fine RC behavior, as you've found the Magic Angle

Please feel free to U2U or e-mail if you'd like to talk about alternatives.

ATB,

Pete Rescued attachment JCMIRS.jpg
Rescued attachment JCMIRS.jpg

Pete

jcduroc

posted on 22/4/04 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Pete

I just converted the inches to mm.
Before going into a deep analysis of the figures pls tell me:
* between lower A-arm & chassis p/u's (pivot mountings?) 14.02 (356.11 mm); where does it come from?
* between upper A-arm & chassis p/u's (pivot mountings?) 24.02 (610.11 mm); where does it come from?

Cheers
Joćo

JCM

pbura

posted on 22/4/04 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Pete

I just converted the inches to mm.
Before going into a deep analysis of the figures pls tell me:
* between lower A-arm & chassis p/u's (pivot mountings?) 14.02 (356.11 mm); where does it come from?
* between upper A-arm & chassis p/u's (pivot mountings?) 24.02 (610.11 mm); where does it come from?

Cheers
Joćo

Those are the chassis mounting from CL figures, multiplied by 2.

P.

Pete

Digger Barnes

posted on 22/4/04 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi I know I am bit late to this thread, but I am in the stage of designing my IRS at the moment.

I'll give you a bit of background to what I have been doing.

I felt that I needed to understand a bit more about suspension geometry and the like (I want to race the car and want it handle as well as is possible having no previous experience apart from F#~+][g it up when I was a kid by lowering cars and changing wheels without thinking about the handling implications). Anyway I digress so I have tried to read as much as I can about it and then write my own software to give me an idea about what is going on.

So if you are interested I am just finishing (by the end of the weekend) the first verified (by me) draft. It is a windows program that I have developed that I hope is easy to use. The dimensions it requires to simulate camber changes are the upright dimensions, wheel tyre dimensions, track and the points in space of wishbone pickups.

The output gives you
Camber change in:
Bump or droop
Roll (roll center is calculated iteratively across the roll not just taken as the initial roll center of the car)
Bump and droop at the point of roll
Bump and droop during roll.

The output is currently to a csv file that can be read in note pad or excel (animations soon).

If you would like a copy u2u me and I will send one out.

Bob C

posted on 23/4/04 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Chaps, I just looked back over this thread & realise my comments about suspen.exe could be construed as my thinking it was not much good. That's not what I meant - it just came out wrong - the program itself is simple to use and enables you to nail your roll centres exactly where you want 'em. And as Pbura said in an email to me, it's got to be a major factor in having a car feel nice to drive - what else is there? (rhetorical question......). Previously I was just going to use the simple rules outlined by others - I'm glad I took the trouble (with a lot of help from Pete) to do it properly. My initial rear suspension roll centre moved 3" sideways with 3 degrees of roll! Now it stays put. Cheers Pete!
Bob C

dblissett

posted on 23/4/04 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
sketch

here is a very rough sketch of my rear whisbones and moutings it looks like my top wish bones are to short being only 230mm long or should i add 35mm to get their true length
thanks for everybodys help as i am calming down i wont be scraping the locost just yet
cheers dave Rescued attachment whisbonesrear.jpg
Rescued attachment whisbonesrear.jpg

Digger Barnes

posted on 24/4/04 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Bob it is also my understanding that it is important to try and fix the roll center.

But I do believe (pure speculation as I have not done the calcs to see if it is achievable yet) that it would be advantageous to move the roll center to the outer wheel in a corner in terms of handling, but I don't know how this would make the car feel.

So a few questions for the experts out there

So does anyone have experience of this to share?

Is it really possible to fix the roll center when different bumps and droops are added into the equation for different wheels?

p.s. my program also outputs the roll center position during roll.

jcduroc

posted on 24/4/04 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Digger Barnes
Bob it is also my understanding that it is important to try and fix the roll center.

But I do believe (pure speculation as I have not done the calcs to see if it is achievable yet) that it would be advantageous to move the roll center to the outer wheel in a corner in terms of handling, but I don't know how this would make the car feel.

So a few questions for the experts out there

So does anyone have experience of this to share?

Is it really possible to fix the roll center when different bumps and droops are added into the equation for different wheels?

p.s. my program also outputs the roll center position during roll.

I suppose that by "fixing the RC" you mean laterally.
In roll the outside wheel goes into bump the inside one in droop so the IC's will move (normally) in opposite directions.
RC will move both vertically (RC height)and horizontally (RC offset). It's almost impossible to keep 0 offset but it may br limited within reasonable figures (<= 5 mm).

Joćo

JCM

pbura

posted on 24/4/04 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Bob C, thanks for the good report! I think that whenever anyone gets way off the book (and IRS certainly qualifies), they'd do well to understand their suspension geometry. Like you guys, I've been reading up because I don't want to screw the pooch.

Another free suspension design tool that I like is the Wishbone program from Race Tech magazine, available on their downloads page. You need to register to get it, and you'll also need Microsoft QuickBasic to run it:

https://www.racetechmag.com

What I like about Wishbone is that you can set the chassis in a particular attitude, like 2" bump or 2 degrees roll or some combination, then twiddle suspension pivots until you get results that look good to you. You can then alter the chassis position and tweak some more. I flip back and forth between 2" bump and 2 degrees roll to try to strike an effective compromise. I'll also test at 1" bump, 2 degrees roll (favored by Staniforth for his string computer) because it's a very representative condition in cornering.

After doing the design in Wishbone, you can enter the settings into Suspen and move the suspension through its paces, to get a better sense of what's happening in a dynamic sense. Suspen can do the whole job, but IMO it's a bit awkward for watching your camber change while you're tweaking a pivot height, for example.

The only thing I DON'T like about Wishbone is that you're forced to deal with bump steer, which is a PITA during this design stage, though it's a nice tool to have eventually.

I'm looking forward to checking out Digger Barnes' proggie, too.

Another thing I've done in the way of suspension design is to solve it graphically. The method I used was based on the classical "three position analysis" method for solving four-bar mechanical linkages. I have a page on my website about this. Sorry it's a bit hard to follow, but the CAD program I used was not amenable to creating images for the web, or editing text. What I like about the graphical method is the degree of control it gives you over the process, more like shooting fish in a barrel rather than jus' fishin'

Re: Fixed Roll Centers

Two writers I admire, Carroll Smith and Allan Staniforth, go on and on about the desirability of the fixed roll center. It appears to be a handling, or 'feel' issue, rather than being essential to a car's actual ability to go around corners. The book Locost has a well-fixed front roll center (and rear, with the solid axle), and I wonder if this isn't a big reason that people find the Locost's handling to be so incredible, like it's riding on rails. Again, I think the off-book builder would do well to emulate the book geometry as closely as possible, unless he really knows his stuff about suspension design (I don't). The book Locost RC moves a couple of inches towards the unloaded side in roll, BTW.

Re: IRS Considerations

I've been fooling around with jcduroc's suspension coordinates, and so far I've learned that if you want a highish RC with IRS, the layout will more closely resemble that described by type 907 and britishtrident, than what I stated in my first post on this thread. The top bone will be close to parallel, and the bottom will point upwards somewhat from wheel to chassis. I may be wrong, but with this arrangement it seems difficult to get really good camber curves in both bump and roll when the RC is much higher than about 3-4". One advantage of a solid axle or de Dion car is the higher rear RC, which limits weight transfer in roll and maximizes the rear tires ability to provide traction for accelerating, IMO. The conclusion I'm drawing is that a rear anti-roll bar is practically necessary with IRS.

Sorry about the long post!

Pete

Below is my interpretation of the book Locost front suspension in Wishbone: Rescued attachment Wishbone.jpg
Rescued attachment Wishbone.jpg

Pete

pbura

posted on 24/4/04 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Here's the related diagram: Rescued attachment locost2.jpg
Rescued attachment locost2.jpg

Pete

dblissett

posted on 24/4/04 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
irs

i have to hold my hands up and say most of what is being said is way above my knowledge of suspension
with that in mind i think it might be better to admit my limitations and buy a dedion tube from gts
the last thing i want is to spend two years building a car that wont drive properly and i wont be happy with
it seemed like a good idea at the time
thanks every body dave

[Edited on 24/4/04 by dblissett]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.