Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fuel tank bracket made!
blakep82

posted on 23/1/11 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
fuel tank bracket made!

been a while since i had the time and patience to do any fabrication, finally got around to making my fuel tank bracket, this was the original plan

Description
Description

and this is what came out, pretty good i think, considering i've not tried making anything in years now...

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

i'm happy with it, its nothing particularly difficult to make, but i think its turned out good. even had my girlfriend do some welding on it, and grinding the welds on top smooth, she did a good job going to make it smooth as possible, probably smotth out some of the welds, they're not brilliant lol, coat the whole thing in filler, sand it all down so it doesn't look like its been made out of loads of different bits, paint it, and hopefully make it look like its been cast in one piece of steel.

now, where can i get some neoprene rubber (not foam) but the kind of stuff they use on ships hatches to seal them in rough seas

[Edited on 23/1/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

r1_pete

posted on 23/1/11 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Nice job, how about putting some black plastic sleeving over the threaded rod to make it look less like errrr threaded rod, and a bit more factory......

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 23/1/11 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Yes! Thats the next bit, going to get some 8mm i.d. Tube, to go over the 8mm rod, weld the tube to the rod to make it like a very long bolt

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

stevegough

posted on 23/1/11 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
impressed! (I don't mean with the job) I mean the girlfriend with welding skills! Keep her at it! nice to see such a team effort.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

blakep82

posted on 23/1/11 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
yeah she did alright! she'd never tried before, so i got her to just tack the angle for the sides, and the flat on the top together, i showed her 2, she did the other 2

she wanted to help with it since i forst showed her it. during the summer she had the engine and gearbox out of it for me lol. for christmas my mum even got her her own overalls, she was well chuffed!

stevegough

posted on 23/1/11 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote

Way to go! She'll be buying you parts next!

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

omega 24 v6

posted on 23/1/11 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
How many gallons will that hold Blake??

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

blakep82

posted on 23/1/11 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
its only about 35 litres i think... been a while since i worked it out, but i'm sure thats what i worked it out to be. lol why the ? thats about right isn't it?

omega 24 v6

posted on 23/1/11 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
35 litres is about the same a mine right enough. It's just that in the photo;s with he diff for scale it looks huge. LOL

blakep82

posted on 23/1/11 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
oops, just u2u'd you about it lol. yeah, it sits a lot higher up on the chassis than it would in say a locost, or any other type of 7.
can't find a photo, but i think on a locost, the tank sits behind the axle, on the same level? well, here the bottom of the tank is above the top of the diff, by about an inch or so i think. maybe a bit more.

don't know the dimentions, but its roughly like this
Description
Description

its as wide as the bracket, so 31cms, a little shorter, so maybe about 42cms? and about 25cms tall i think, though that works out to about 32.5 litres, but its around that kind of size anyway

omega 24 v6

posted on 23/1/11 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Cool so 35 litres it is then. You'll get about 30mpg so 200miles to a tank sounds good. When will you bee finished it?

blakep82

posted on 23/1/11 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
er, always by the spring. that went for last spring, the spring before that, and the one before that
don't think i'm far off now though, just a few fiddly things to do, things i need other people to make, and i keep getting nervous about getting them wrong and needing it done twice lol. bits i need made are header tank, electric loom, and headlight mounting frames, and going to have someone install the fuel system for me too. he races cars, and runs a van hire place, so he knows what he's doing. then a case of checking it all against the manual i think still need to tart up the bodywork, its a bit rough, but its all 2nd hand. ooh, still need a cat for the exhaust actually...

got people lined up for all these jobs though, so it should be alright. just need to get my finger out, and get them ordered.

blakep82

posted on 9/2/11 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
hows that for a bit more factory?

Description
Description

loggyboy

posted on 9/2/11 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Coud it not be considered to be a little OTT? Wouldnt a couple of bent ally straps done a suitable job for about 1/20th the weight?
blakep82

posted on 9/2/11 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
no, it couldn't have been 2 straps, that was the original plan, but the tank and chassis are 2nd hand, and i wasn't up for modifing them too much. but if you look, 2 of the tabs means the strap would go over the filler neck, and on the other side, the gauge sender. so this was the way i decided to do it

[Edited on 9/2/11 by blakep82]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.