Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sierra pad to disc gap
tony-devon

posted on 3/8/11 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
sierra pad to disc gap

Hi all this might seem a silly question, but on my custom build I have a wierd problem, the brakes seem to retract off so far that most of my master cylinder travel is used in getting the pads out to the discs, then it bottoms

I have 5/8" master, that in theory should shift enough fluid to work.

operating the footbrake and you can see both calipers moving

if the pads stayed closer with just a few thou gap as I had expected, then I think it would work fine, and 20mm stroke on 5/8 master will move 4cc of fluid, and I only need 2.5cc of fluid to move 2 off 40mm pistons 1mm, but I have much bigger gap, so all the fluid is being used in just moving the pads, not gripping the discs

what stupid mistake am I missing

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_gsxr

posted on 3/8/11 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Tony,

These are front brakes or back ones?

You can get residual pressure valves that will stop the pads moving back so far. Something like 2psi. Not sure why you would need one, though as most people don't have this problem.

If they are back brakes then the handbrake auto adjust should look after you.

Matt

britishtrident

posted on 3/8/11 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Know exactly what you mean Been there got the T shirt ---

Are you using special brackets to mount the callipers ??? ---- in which case I would suspect they are not presenting the brake pad surface square on to the disc surface.
A bit of patience and traditional hand fitting & fettling is required ie bending filing and shimming required.

The other possibilities are the calliper is sticking on a guide pin or the spring clip clip that steadies the floating part of the caliper is missing

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

daviep

posted on 3/8/11 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Got any play in the wheel bearing?

Disc running nice and true?

Clamp off each flexi to see if one side is travelling too far.

Pump the piston out and clamp the flexi before realeasing the pedal, if you can get the calipers to squeeze the disc you may see something moving/twisting indicating an alignment problem.

Personaly I would say the master is possibly a bit small as full stroke only moves each piston 1.5mm which seems a bit small to me. I've got no theory to back this up though just one of those great forum opinions

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

tony-devon

posted on 3/8/11 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys, these are rear brakes, calipers are mounted at the front of the upright with the bleed nipple towards the top, using the standard sierra parts

I havent connected the handbrake up yet, as I need to make the cable and a whipple bar due to my custom setup

tonight Im going to wind the pistons all the way back in, and start again. will strip and go over the calipers as well, running out of time, money and patience LOL

Ive never had so much stress and aggro with anything in my life, as I have these rear brakes.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daviep

posted on 3/8/11 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Got any pics?

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

mookaloid

posted on 3/8/11 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tony-devon
Hi guys, these are rear brakes, calipers are mounted at the front of the upright with the bleed nipple towards the top, using the standard sierra parts

I havent connected the handbrake up yet, as I need to make the cable and a whipple bar due to my custom setup

tonight Im going to wind the pistons all the way back in, and start again. will strip and go over the calipers as well, running out of time, money and patience LOL

Ive never had so much stress and aggro with anything in my life, as I have these rear brakes.

I think you need to fit the handbrake cable and keep operating the handbrake cable till it adjusts itself up. Then it should be ok on the foot brake.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

britishtrident

posted on 3/8/11 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
ISTR it is the hydraulics that operate the adjuster but I could be wrong on that, given the added info I would suspect the self-adjuster mechanism\s are U/S perhaps somebody in the past forced them back without slackening the handbrake cable.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Arthur T wareing

posted on 3/8/11 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi I had a problem with a offside rear calliper at sva I didn't have time to find the reason so just changed it for a new one for retest after when I did a bit of research I discovered if the hand brake is activated before the vehicle has had the brakes bled it can cause problems with the calliper.
adithorp

posted on 3/8/11 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
quote:

I think you need to fit the handbrake cable and keep operating the handbrake cable till it adjusts itself up. Then it should be ok on the foot brake.

DO NOT operate the handbrake lever untill the pistons have been pumped out with the foot brake! Otherwise the lever moves too far and fubars the adjusting mechanism.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

mookaloid

posted on 5/8/11 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
quote:

DO NOT operate the handbrake lever untill the pistons have been pumped out with the foot brake! Otherwise the lever moves too far and fubars the adjusting mechanism.

oops! I stand corrected

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

tony-devon

posted on 5/8/11 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
thanks guys, I linked up the handbrake and one side works a treat, just getting that side working has made a difference to the footbrake feel/travel/pressure etc

but the other side isnt playing ball, looks like the handbrake mechanism is either damaged or siezed? I was planning on only running handbrake one side, as its a trike thats all I need, but now its annoying me that I know the other caliper is knackered. will actuate the handbrake, and releases a tiny bit, but the lever wont spring all the way back up. this results in the brake dragging/not fully releasing

time to get messy again and delve in to work out how to strip and fix the calipers, thanks for the help

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.