Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake pipe flaring 'kit'
Kelvin

posted on 2/10/02 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Brake pipe flaring 'kit'

Hi All,

Gonna sound a bit silly and stupid this one, but I'm having one of those days!

Just got a brake pipe flaring kit from Burtons. Anyone used one before as I'm buggered if I can get it to work right!

Any help greatly appreciated.

kelvin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 2/10/02 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
basicly clamp the pipe in the clamp,pipe just proud of the clamp top,put the tool in usualy marked opo 1 first,then opo2 if nec afterwards,the pipe end must be square and de bured
stephen_gusterson

posted on 2/10/02 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
if its one of the cheap ones READ THE INSTRUCTIONS as the little die bits dont fit the way you expect. I didnt have the instructions on my first kit and it was hopeless.

1. make sure the pipe end is straight cut. use a tool for the job.

2. use a needle file to slightly dress the inside of the bore. Do the same to the outside so you have a slight taper to the end.

3. put ti in the clamp with the RIGHT amount protruding, there is a mark on the die to show.

4. Put the die in the end of the tube (DONT use the pointy end of the press to bell the end - thats wrong!)

5. Screw the pointy bit against the die until its squashed flat.

You now have a 'single flare'. Its basically a male end with a kinda mushroom head.

To make a 'female' double flare, keep the pipe in the jig and remove the die, and screw the pointy bit in the mushroom headed bit, until its squashed down.

You now have a double flare.

The tech language might be a bit much for you

I had big problems with mine until I used it right, then its like shelling peas.

atb

steve

johnston

posted on 2/10/02 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
best thing for cuttin the pipe is one of the wee tools plumbers have bout 3quid oin b&q just clamp it on and give it a spin and a wee wheel cuts perfectly square

Alan B

posted on 2/10/02 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
(snip)I had big problems with mine until I used it right, then its like shelling peas.

atb

steve

Ah yes, one of my most useful pieces of advice
Glad you find it easy now!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 2/10/02 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget to put the nuts on the pipe before you do the second flare . Not that it's ever happened to me . On mine you leave pipe the depth of the little die protruding to make a flare. Stick the pip on the little die into the end of the pipe and like Steve says, squash the bugger for a single then remove the die and do it again. If you get a Clarke one they do a pipe cutter included.

yours, Pete

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 2/10/02 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
(snip)I had big problems with mine until I used it right, then its like shelling peas.

atb

steve

Ah yes, one of my most useful pieces of advice
Glad you find it easy now!

Yep. Forgot that it was you amounst the many that helped me out. Trying to work the tool without the proper guidance was impossible. Like, so bad i might have to buy em ready made! But even then, PaulF knew a place just a couple miles away that could help.

Thats one of the good things on this list - help from Rothwell or Florida is just a post away!

atb

Steve

bob

posted on 2/10/02 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yep,i'm attacking the pipework this very 7 rest days.
All info helpfull,and yes my clarke kit came with no instructions at all and the only thing i've ever had flared was trousers.

Alan B

posted on 3/10/02 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
Bob, I did a sketch the last time someone asked but couldn't upload it then
It's there in my archive now as "pipe flares".
May help a bit along with Steve's write up.

bob

posted on 3/10/02 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks alan.

Kelvin

posted on 3/10/02 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Hi All,

Many thanks for all the advice.

Yep, it's a cheap one and yep, it came without instructions!

Now feeling a little more confident!

Cheers,

Kelvin

bob

posted on 8/10/02 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Well that was'nt too bad,had a good few practice flares and went for it.

Thanks too all for your input,one final tip that wasnt posted but came via DEANC was a touch of lubricant on the end of pipe.
I used a bit of LM grease and it worked a treat.

Will post pics of work completed as soon as i can ponse another digi camera for a minute

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.