Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wheel sizes?
MK9R

posted on 21/10/02 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Wheel sizes?

What size wheels/tyres do you think are best suited to a bike engine powered 7? I want to use both on road and track, but mainly track use.

Also any thoughts on wheel types, ie. alloys are pretty heavy compared to steel rims unless you spend a fortune on split rims.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 21/10/02 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
Also any thoughts on wheel types, ie. alloys are pretty heavy compared to steel rims unless you spend a fortune on split rims.

That's not what I've found! Originally I had a set of old steel Cortina wheels, since replaced with a set of Ghia alloys that were slightly wider.

I needed 2 hands to lift the old ones, but I can carry 1 alloy wheel in each hand without effort.

David

ChrisGamlin

posted on 21/10/02 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
13" wheels are the best bet for price, if you want to do track days you'll probably
a) Want nice grippy tyres, and
b) wear them out quickly

Good soft tyres for 13" rims are generally a lot cheaper, for example, Yoko A032s can be got for £50 per corner for 185/60s, but are over £100 for 15" versions, and also the rims themselves will be cheaper.

The only problem with small wheels on a BEC is gearing, especially if you've got a ZX9 engine which is low geared compared to most others anyway. Best thing is to use the spreadsheet attached (from the Yahoo BEC list) and put a few combinations of tyres in to see how it will affect your gearing / top speed, as for track you'd want at least a 120mph top end if you are planning on doing any of the faster circuits.
Make sure you amend the bike's max RPM in the "data" page tho, otherwise it uses a base figure of 11kRPM red line and so looks lower geared than it actually is. You can also edit the tyre sizes in there to put in the tyre size you're interested in rather than those in the drop down menu.

cheers
Chris

MK9R

posted on 21/10/02 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Chris.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.