Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Skyline as donor?
James

posted on 17/6/06 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Skyline as donor?

Was poking round a mate's 200sx earlier. Thinking what a nice donor it'd make.

Along comes his big brother who done his best to out do him by buying an extremely tasty looking R33 Skyline. 280BHP (IIRC) out the box, twin turbo, 2.5lt straight 6. He's upped the boost a little and it's currently about 360BHP.

Hmmm, I thought, great donor for the Viento sized type cars!

Anyone know much about them?

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

ned

posted on 17/6/06 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
twin turbo, 2.5lt straight 6. He's upped the boost a little and it's currently about 360BHP.

Hmmm, I thought, great donor for the Viento sized type cars!

Anyone know much about them?

I'd hazard a guess:
EXPENSIVE!!

and probably most of them have been ragged or fiddled with so you have to be very careful with what you are buying and they probably keep their value as muppets probably keep upping the boost and blowing them up!?

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
quattromike

posted on 17/6/06 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
AMEN

Mike

"At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark"

graememk

posted on 17/6/06 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
i'm using the nissan s12 engine in my indy

James

posted on 17/6/06 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graememk
i'm using the nissan s12 engine in my indy

That's the 1.8 turbo right?

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

graememk

posted on 17/6/06 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
yep 1.8 turbo, sounds quite nice running on mega squirt

JoelP

posted on 17/6/06 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
never mind the rest of it james, the best bit is the 4wd and electric diffs! Some trick stuff. I think its a good idea, but maybe a bit heavy and expensive.
DIY Si

posted on 17/6/06 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Would probably be best to make a spacframe chassis for it and use the car as is otherwise. Make a rally car basically.That way you could make it lighter, stiffer and generally faster. And keep all the shiny trick bits that would probably be a right ar$e to attempt in a locost type car.
Deckman001

posted on 17/6/06 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Judging by what Jaspers interested in as a next car, it might have all ready been thought of

Jason

Crazy Jay

posted on 18/6/06 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Altho the Skyline engine is awesome, unless ur lookin for 600bhp i'd say go for the sr20det as its good for 450-500bhp and there is loads on ebay for the price of an R1 engine

My 200sx has 270bhp and it will get to 60 in 5.25secs so in a locost chassis it'd be ridiculously fast, which is why i'm building an MK SX after i sell the R1!!

datz510

posted on 18/6/06 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using the Nissan s14 engine (ka24de 2.4L) in my locost. Once I have it running, I'll be swapping it out in favor of a Silvia engine (sr20det turbo 2.0L).

The skyline engines are sweet, but I would look into the sr20det before the rb25dett. The sr20det is the perfect size for a locost project and can easily make upwards of 300hp with minor modifications.

Hang on, we're goin for a ride!

1972 Datsun 510 (1600) w/ 200hp 3.0L V6
1995 Nissan Pathfinder rock crawler

Jasper

posted on 19/6/06 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Don't do it James Sr20DET is the way to go .....

The Skyline engine would just be ridiculous overkill - and they are much rarer and much more expensive secondhand.

Just get one as your daily driver .....

BTW - I'm gonna go have a look at this bad boy soon if it's not sold.... I'm mean really - would you want to chop it up as a donor : Rescued attachment R34.jpg
Rescued attachment R34.jpg

James

posted on 19/6/06 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Don't do it James Sr20DET is the way to go .....

The Skyline engine would just be ridiculous overkill - and they are much rarer and much more expensive secondhand.

Just get one as your daily driver .....

BTW - I'm gonna go have a look at this bad boy soon if it's not sold.... I'm mean really - would you want to chop it up as a donor :

Glad you're looking at another one.

My mate's one was £8K for an 'N' reg so cheaper than the 1989 one you looked at!

Cheers,
James

chockymonster

posted on 19/6/06 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
My mate's one was £8K for an 'N' reg so cheaper than the 1989 one you looked at!

Cheers,
James

That's nearly what my mate has spent this year on servicing for his R33 GTR Lemans. Nice looking cars, but really only straightline monsters.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Syd Bridge

posted on 19/6/06 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
[quote
....... Nice looking cars, but really only straightline monsters.

The 'Skyline' monicker is said to from 'Skyline Drive', at the top of the mountain at Bathurst. ie Bathurst 1000km, back in the days when all engine classes ran, not just V8's

Like the Aus V8 supercars, the Skyline can be made to handle as well as any rear drive live axle car.

Jasper

posted on 19/6/06 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chockymonster
quote:

Cheers,
James

That's nearly what my mate has spent this year on servicing for his R33 GTR Lemans. Nice looking cars, but really only straightline monsters.

You are kidding - 4WD with active diffs - they certinaly go round corners as well, that's why they been so successful on the track....

Crazy Jay

posted on 19/6/06 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Was it not the Skyline, that for years, held the lap record around the Nurburgring?
chockymonster

posted on 19/6/06 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
quote:
Originally posted by chockymonster
quote:

Cheers,
James

You are kidding - 4WD with active diffs - they certinaly go round corners as well, that's why they been so successful on the track....

Out of the box they are straightline monsters, great for cruising but not really suited to our roads. It's the active diffs that especially make me say straightline monsters! Lets not go comparing the race bred things from touring cars and those with stupid amounts of money thrown at them. The standard car is such a let down, you need to spend a good 3-4 grand to get a car that handles and accelerates like Nissan should have made it. It is one of those cars that should always be on a wishlist but never driven.
I've driven 2, a GTR-33 and a 34 V-Spec. The 33 was when I was looking to change my scoob for something else and I thought a skyline might be fun, the 34 was when I wanted to change the Evo that I bought after realising how poor the Skyline was (and seeing how much Abbey charge to look under the bonnet!!!)

In race tune these cars are immense, in road tune they are dissapointing.

Kodiak

posted on 20/6/06 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck with a special based on Godzilla and his little brothers. IMHO the SR20DE / DET are the way to go, cheaper, simpler, better power to weight potential....but then again 600bhp could be fun!
Jeffers_S13

posted on 30/8/06 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure what you would use it as a donor for ? if youd make some sort of totally custom chassis then hard to say if it would be a good donor but the engine simply wouldnt fit in a normal ish sized 7 chassis. Ive put the CA18DET in a Rush and only just managed to get everything under the bonnet, the bare RB block might, just, fit lengthways but there would be no room for the intercooler never mind two turbos or any of the ancilleries. Also the front diff is part of the sump, so the engine would have to be mounted waaaay forward if you were also intending on using 4x4 plus this would also mean it being mounted very high in the chassis to accomodate this setup. As said any of the 200SX engines are good donors though

Build pics : http://tinyurl.com/fuyh6

impreziv

posted on 17/9/06 at 03:41 AM Reply With Quote
if anyone is interested in doing an Rb26DETT into a Locost...

you will need to find a transmission from a RWD RB25DET. the Skyline GTR is AWD, so the stock tranny wont work.

i would guess you would need a larger chassis than a 'by-the-book' locost. the RB is a big engine. ive seen an SR20 in a Locost, and i cant imagine fitting an RB in there.

the two turbos dont stick out very far, but the ancilleries up front are very bulky. and the intake manifold sticks out very far.

i think a normally aspirated RB engine could fit as easily as an SR20. as long as you did Velocity stacks. the RB30E (3.0L straight-6 SOHC) can be made into a RB30DE (DOHC) by swapping the head from the RB25DE. with 12.5:1 you can make 300bhp

JamJah

posted on 17/9/06 at 04:42 AM Reply With Quote
I personally wouldnt ever consider a skyline after seeing one after it hit a tree just down from the plant hire (?) place on the Red road to Camberley.

Surely skyline inners in a locost would only be fit for tescos car park? I mean could you ever pull away from traffic lights without a tyre change or two to get enough grip on the 'mac?
I suppose the question that I am trying to ask (semi rhetorically) is how many bhp does it take to produce enough torque on a 7esque car for it to struggle to find grip consistantly in first. I know this probably deserves its own thread as people may decide to debate the use of the terms bhp and torque (although I know the difference !) and the effects from wheel sizes, gearboxes and axle diffs.

G.Man

posted on 17/9/06 at 04:52 AM Reply With Quote
My zx12r vortx gets squirrelly on toyo 888's in a fast pull away, quite easy to break traction and slide her as well..

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.