Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wet weather gear
stuart_g

posted on 4/7/07 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
wet weather gear

Just trying to get pro's and cons on wether to have a hood or not.

I am looking at a new 7 project and just to have an aero screen. I like the idea of this as there is no wipers, demisters, heaters to worry about but the only thing putting me off is being caught out with the fabulous british weather. What are your points of view?

Cheers
Stu.

David Jenkins

posted on 4/7/07 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
I built my car with no screen at all - I now have aeroscreens - but did the interior so that it didn't matter too much if it got wet. Vinyl seat cushions, rubber mat floor, and so on.

I've only been caught once in really heavy rain, and it was no worse than being on a motorbike - in fact, probably better, as most of the rain flies past when you're on the move.

The worst bit about driving in heavy rain is the difficulty in steering where I want to go! These cars are lively in the wet...

[Edited on 4/7/07 by David Jenkins]

Confused but excited.

posted on 4/7/07 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
It depends on how far you want to run at any one time.
I was going down the 'bare bones' route for the same reasons, then I bought a soft top and frame off one of the guys on here for silly money and now I am going to change plans as we seem to have swapped a climate for random weather.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

JUD

posted on 4/7/07 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
I have to admit that I don't think weather gear is really worth it. You have to lug it with you everywhere, and it is still likely to leak when you need it.

Mine is minimalistic - Aeroscreen, GRP seats, no mats/carpets. All you need is a couple of holes in the seats and floor to let it all drain out.

I guess it is a matter of personal taste as well as what you intend to use the car for - if I were using mine as a daily driver then I guess I would have a different opinion

---------------------
MK Indy Blade

David Jenkins

posted on 4/7/07 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JUD
I have to admit that I don't think weather gear is really worth it. You have to lug it with you everywhere, and it is still likely to leak when you need it.

I have a 2-piece biker's over-suit made of some nylon-like material. I tend to wear the jacket over a fleece when it's cool as it keeps the wind out, which I find enough to keep me warm. The trousers I keep in the boot, just in case of rain. When I'm not wearing them the fold into a pouch that's not much bigger than an A4 padded envelope.

stuart_g

posted on 4/7/07 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
I will be using it for weekend/evening's and may be travel to some shows in it. No show is that close to me so it means some long journeys.

I suppose this is the same dilema as the BEC vs CEC debate (don't go there!!).

David Jenkins

posted on 4/7/07 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
I went from just south of Ipswich to Newark & back a few weeks ago - 140-odd miles each way. Fortunately nothing worse than road spray on the way up, but the over-jacket was useful for keeping the muck off.

For your planned use I'd stick with the aeroscreens and put up with the odd wet outings.

IMHO, of course!

David

JonBowden

posted on 4/7/07 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
How about windscreen, side screens (these are supposed to be good for keeping the wind out in the dry.
Then a sort of customised tarpaulin clipped onto the windscreen top (like the Caterham) and stretched over the roll bar.
This would be light to carry and would allow long trips without worrying about being caught out

Jon

stuart_g

posted on 4/7/07 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I went from just south of Ipswich to Newark & back a few weeks ago - 140-odd miles each way. Fortunately nothing worse than road spray on the way up, but the over-jacket was useful for keeping the muck off.

For your planned use I'd stick with the aeroscreens and put up with the odd wet outings.

IMHO, of course!

David

I think you are right. I used to ride bikes and have a one piece waterproof over suit I could wear, come to think of it I still have my crash helmet so I could always put that on aswell, I'm glad that is sorted been thinking about this for a while now.

ditchlewis

posted on 4/7/07 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
i have already bought a windscreen wipers heaters and thay are sitting in the garage.

after a drive yesterday and the very bad spray on the roads i'm in two minds. most of the spray went over my head and my jacket remained relativly dry i had no type of aero screen at all

i my keep both options, screen and door when the wife wants to come or a long trip and an aero screen for fun.

ditch

BenB

posted on 4/7/07 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JonBowden
How about windscreen, side screens (these are supposed to be good for keeping the wind out in the dry.
Then a sort of customised tarpaulin clipped onto the windscreen top (like the Caterham) and stretched over the roll bar.
This would be light to carry and would allow long trips without worrying about being caught out

That's exactly what I'm making
You definately need the screens though otherwise the rain and spray whips round and goes all over the inside of the screen!!!! 0 visability time!!!

DarrenW

posted on 4/7/07 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Ive been out in some pretty crap rain and still dont feel the need for wet weather gear. Just keep waterproof trousers behind seat just in case.
If the rain was so bad that visibility was poor then i fail to see how weather gear would make it any better (not been in a car with it though). i have considered half doors to try and stop some of it entering cockpit area though, although mainly to aid some better aerodynamics.

zetec

posted on 4/7/07 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Surrey Dave flintstone roof looks like my next project. cheap to make and 2 mins to put up and should keep all but the worst rain off if used with sidescreens (which are very good for motorway runs).

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

bilbo

posted on 4/7/07 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
I put a soft top on my old 7, but in the rain it was a bit like sitting in a leaky tent in a 60mph gale. It did save me from getting drenched a few times though, but I'm not sure I'm putting one on my new car. I'm certainly having side screens again though.

[Edited on 4/7/07 by bilbo]

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

piddy

posted on 4/7/07 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
It all depends what you want to use the car for.
If you have planned to go somewhere and the then the weather changes you don't go or you get soaked.
I've fitted a screen and side screens and a flintstones roof. the roof folds down too about 12"X2"

[Edited on 4/7/07 by piddy] Rescued attachment Small.jpg
Rescued attachment Small.jpg

JUD

posted on 4/7/07 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by JUD

I have a 2-piece biker's over-suit made of some nylon-like material. I tend to wear the jacket over a fleece when it's cool as it keeps the wind out, which I find enough to keep me warm. The trousers I keep in the boot, just in case of rain. When I'm not wearing them the fold into a pouch that's not much bigger than an A4 padded envelope.

Agreed - protecting yourself rather than the car is the way to go. I have personal wet wether gear stashed in the car - takes very little space. You just have to be prepared to get a bit damp

---------------------
MK Indy Blade

David Jenkins

posted on 4/7/07 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
I used to commute from Chelmsford to central London on a motorbike; 40-50 miles, and occasionally I got really WET.

You just have to learn that you can only get so wet, and after that everything's just a 'bonus'...

You should ask the Duxford lads about getting wet going to Newark...

rusty nuts

posted on 4/7/07 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
The problem with having a screen with no roof is that the inside of the screen needs wipers as well ! Found out the hard way going to Newark on the Friday P.M. in a very heavy downpour , Geoff{ Wilkinj} was behind with no screen wearing a crash helmet and he was no better off . Have cleaned the screen and applied Rain X but have not been out in the rain since.
Surrey Dave

posted on 14/8/07 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Roof

Rescued attachment hood2 vsml.jpg
Rescued attachment hood2 vsml.jpg

Surrey Dave

posted on 14/8/07 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Roof Too

Rescued attachment hoodbacktrim2.jpg
Rescued attachment hoodbacktrim2.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.