Board logo

Roll Call.
Doug68 - 6/9/07 at 04:51 AM

Posting here seems to have gone a bit quiet lately, so I was wondering who's doing what these days with mid-engined projects...

Fred W B - 6/9/07 at 05:57 AM

I'm still here, working, building, thinking etc..

Most of my effort at the moment is documented HERE

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 6/9/07 by Fred W B]

RazMan - 6/9/07 at 07:00 AM

I finished mine last Xmas (2006) and have been using it on a daily basis since then, having covered nearly 9k miles so far.

I really miss the building process though, and keep thinking about the next project ..... but don't tell my bank manager or I'll be in deep trouble

lsdweb - 6/9/07 at 07:11 AM

I clicked 'Finshed the thing' but I'm fitting a new engine and this looks like a pretty major job (again!).

Wyn

ditchlewis - 6/9/07 at 07:46 AM

RaZman i saw you on the A12 a couple of weeks back. cool car really stands out from the rest of the hacks trudging up and down to work

Ditch

RazMan - 6/9/07 at 07:59 AM

Thanks Ditch - it doesn't exactly blend into the commuter traffic very easily does it

iank - 6/9/07 at 08:31 AM

Its taken a while, but the chassis is now nearly ready to start having bits bolted on.

JC - 6/9/07 at 08:35 AM

I'm still here! It's been quiet over the summer due to an old broken shoulder being a pain(!) however, about to bring the car home into the garage where hopefully progress will resume!

rpmagazine - 6/9/07 at 09:39 AM

Still weighing components and accurately measuring suspension bits, chassis changed too as per thread.
Just got last issue of magazine done, so I have a couple of weeks to do work. Just sourced a 5 axis cnc machine to do the body work and negotiating with a spa company to get 4" of foam sprayed onto a mold in the future.

TheGecko - 6/9/07 at 11:02 AM

I clicked still working on it but I felt a bit dishonest I've hardly touched the car in the last 3-4 months - combination of work, (and more work and more work!), cold weather (remember, it's winter down here in the antipodes) and family commitments.

All that said, things are on the up: I just finished a 5-week stint acting in my bosses job (he can have it!) which collected me some extra beer tokens. Plus, two lengths of 25mm round steel got delivered and I spent some of Tuesday evening turning innocent bits of pipe into squashed bends (may/will need to pack the pipe with sand as the bender I have borrowed is pretty basic). Those bends will eventually result in a portal frame for my scuttle bulkhead - think Lotus 23 as per photo:

Still very time poor but, as someone said to me a while ago: "Once you start putting schedules and time limits on it it stops being a hobby and becomes work". So, it'll be done when it's done

Dominic

kb58 - 6/9/07 at 01:18 PM

I finally got to see an authentic Lotus 23, and boy are they low; it make a Seven look like a truck. Here in the U.S. with the big SUVs, it would be dangerously invisible once you're closer than 50 feet to many trucks.

On the topic of projects, a buddy has an idea that's pretty nuts - very different from my Kimini. As a hint, it would be most appropriate to be wearing a leather helmet and goggles!

iank - 6/9/07 at 01:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kb58
On the topic of projects, a buddy has an idea that's pretty nuts - very different from my Kimini. As a hint, it would be most appropriate to be wearing a leather helmet and goggles!

Something like this?
http://www.spiritowners.co.uk/homeindex.html

Alan B - 6/9/07 at 05:06 PM

I'm in the middle of two middy projects....finishing one would be nice I guess..LOL

sgraber - 6/9/07 at 05:13 PM

HEEEEre I am....

I would say 'present', but nothing seems like a gift these days. The last 5% seems to take 95% of the effort....

Doug68 - 6/9/07 at 11:53 PM

It's good to see that there's people out there still going! Judging by the responses I think there's some lurkers on the forum too!

I'm sure we'd all like to know what you're up to or planning...

Here's my progress as of Wednesday night... Rescued attachment DSC03478.jpg
Rescued attachment DSC03478.jpg

Doug68 - 7/9/07 at 04:01 AM

BTW there's a bloke over here in Perth who's building a car under original Lotus 23 bodywork for track use.
He's got a Toyota 4cyl twin cam of some sort and a VW tranny in it.

Steve, whats the hold up now? Are you legal on the road yet?

v8kid - 7/9/07 at 09:38 AM

With me its just that last 1% thats the killer. Took the car on the track last night and it only lasted a couple of laps before a hose blew off - well I forgot to put a hose clip on actually and it would be in the most inaccessable place.

Gearchange is much better but the combination of a very high first gear and a lightweight flywheel makes standing starts a challenge.

SVA next month and then a winter of testing before the 2008 season I guess.

akumabito - 7/9/07 at 09:57 AM

Still lurking! Since I'm not building anything, there's usually not much constructive/interesting I can say..

violentblue - 7/9/07 at 03:36 PM

I'm building a +4 seven at the moment, figured it'd be smart to do that first before beginning my mid engined build.

I have an evolving design, that I'm intending to start once the "7" is done.

airframefixer - 7/9/07 at 09:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Doug68
It's good to see that there's people out there still going! Judging by the responses I think there's some lurkers on the forum too!

right here. Ive been dreaming about building one since I was 17 yrs old, finally building now. Career, lifestyle, and finances have aligned themselves to make this possible for myself.

http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2142

R1 powered, scratch built, le mans inspired middy

Andrew

[Edited on 7/9/07 by airframefixer]

gttman - 8/9/07 at 09:27 AM

Still working on mine..... slow progress due to work and the fact that I sold all my wishbones and uprights!

Have planned my Alloy fuel tank which is just being welded up and I have spent more time fettling the body, mainly around the winscreen frame and the hard top.

Frame and hard top work.
Frame and hard top work.

[Edited on 9/9/07 by gttman]

geoffreyh - 8/9/07 at 04:23 PM

Hey GTTMan,

Why did you sell your wishbones and uprights. Maybe they were so nice somebody offered you a fortune for them?

Geoff

mark chandler - 8/9/07 at 06:10 PM

Frame coming along nicely, engine and G/box mated so will be having a look at solidly mounting the engine in the next few weeks.

Here its is hanging above my BEC, serious lack of space at present. Rescued attachment DSCF0031.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0031.JPG

gttman - 8/9/07 at 07:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by geoffreyh
Hey GTTMan,

Why did you sell your wishbones and uprights. Maybe they were so nice somebody offered you a fortune for them?

Geoff

Basically yes lol.
Didn't make any money on them and it took the guy 8mths to convince me to sell him the lot.
He had the wishbones, uprights, bearing hubs rose joints, steering rack etc etc.
And I have also just made him 2 radiators and the petrol tank so it looks like he is hoping I will end up selling him a complete kit as I develope it.

The main gain for me is that it is paying for me to redevelop the rear end so that it is repeatable in the future.

andybod - 8/9/07 at 09:18 PM

does rebuilding the noble count i ticked the box anyway Rescued attachment noble build photos 041.jpg
Rescued attachment noble build photos 041.jpg

Ringius - 9/9/07 at 04:51 PM

Hi all!

Been following the forum for quite some time now, finally deciding what to use so on so forth...

Currently mocking up seat, pedals steering wheel etc to get the dimensions I need.

I am intending on building a middy based on the Audi A4, although putting in the Audi V8 is tempting. Currently a bit out of my league though.

turbo time - 14/9/07 at 03:13 PM

I sold mine for a profit, some guy near Miami has been autocrossing it, and is doing well apparently....

I'm now living in Hong Kong through 2008...

CraigJ - 14/9/07 at 09:22 PM

Mine going well, will hopefully be finished by xmas. have a look at my blog www.onyxmongoosezx10.blogspot.com