Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help! (Cortina wheel bearing)
steve26

posted on 16/8/03 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Help! (Cortina wheel bearing)

Hi, i'm hoping someone can help - ive searched in previous posts & can't seem to find the answer to this...

I need to know how to tighten the Front Cortina wheel bearings on my Locost ... I say 'how' because some cars U use a pole about 3 metres long to get sufficient leverage to tighten them, then others r just hand tight then back off 1/2 a turn etc.. I also need the torque setting if poss!

p.s. I don't have a Haines manual.

Cheers + regards, Dan S

RoadkillUK

posted on 16/8/03 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
From the manual.

Refit the adjusting nut, and tighten it to a torque wrench setting of 27 lb f ft (3.7 kg f m) whilst rotating the hub and disc to ensure free movement and centralisation of the bearings. Slacken the nut back by 90 degrees which will give the required endfloat. Fit the nut retainer and new split pin. Bend over the ears of the split pin.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyps

posted on 16/8/03 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
As the Cortina has tapered roller bearings (TRB's) - at least, I am 99% sure they have - the procedure is generally to tighten the nut until the wheel stops turning, and then back off the nut by about 1/4 turn. Make sure to rotate the wheel in both directions whilst tightening the nut to seat the rollers fully.

The most important thing is not to over-tighten the bearings as this is a sure way to make them seize very quickly.

I used to work for Timken, the leading manufacturer of TRB's and the most common cause of failure was overtightening - on trucks particularly this would often lead to the bearing friction welding itself to the hub shaft, the shaft then turned coming off, generally complete with brake drum and wheel/tyre - a big lump to hit something with!!

It is amazing how loose a bearing can be and still be OK, although correct setting up is recommended!

Hope this helps.

[Edited on 16/8/03 by andyps]

[Edited on 16/8/03 by andyps]

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Rob Palin

posted on 17/8/03 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
I had to do this at Pembrey after the scrutineer found my left front could move sideways slightly if he yanked on it with all his strength. Unfortunately i've got the technical skills of a gerbil and so just tightened the adjuster nut unti i could no longer get any lateral movement when pulling on the wheel. Not very scientific but it worked.

BTW Dan, you're faster than the lovechild of Roadrunner & Speedy Gonzalez - what did you do before you raced Locosts?

andyps

posted on 17/8/03 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Rob - it sounds like you did have a loose bearing, the problem with what you did is that if the play was due to anything else (balljoint etc.) then you can easily end up overtightening the bearing and not solving the problem.

Andy

steve26

posted on 18/8/03 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers people, have now tightened the nut as suggested and the vertical movement has gone - thanx very much! Guess the 'ultimate test' will be taking it round Silverstone on Sat.! Reckon on taking it steady for a couple of laps just to make sure tho!

p.s. rob - i've done some short oval racing when I was younger a more recently a bit of 'very amateur' karting. Nothing comes close 2 the long circuits though - lovin' it!

DickieB

posted on 18/8/03 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Dan
"take it easy for a few laps" Really? What, the night before when you are walking it? Can't believe you know how to take it easy in a car. Just wish I was as quick. No, quicker actually!
Dickie B

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyps

posted on 18/8/03 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
The best test will be to re-check for any play after the couple of "taking it easy" laps - that way you can be certain the bearing rollers are seated properly and be confident that all is OK.

Andy

Rob Palin

posted on 18/8/03 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Dickie you can't talk, you're no slouch yourself!

Dan if you can drive like that and you've only just started then i think i'd better resign myself to being left near the back.

Still, it can be good fun back here too so i'm not knocking it!

Rob

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.