Board logo

dry sump tank location
beaver34 - 13/11/10 at 10:50 AM

where do most people fit the dry sump tanks, i struggling to get it in the engine bay wher i would like it, can it be mounted in the passenger footwell would that be an issue for msa reg though not being behind firewall?

T66 - 13/11/10 at 12:36 PM

I very much doubt the regs would let you keep a tank of hot oil in the passenger cab of the car, personally I wouldnt want it there anyway.

From previous reading I think its a no, but the piping can go through the cab, but must be covered over under a suitable shield.

daniel mason - 13/11/10 at 02:00 PM

some do put it in passenger footwell but i would not take that risk myself!

perksy - 13/11/10 at 04:08 PM

Not sure of your layout or how much room you have

But this is mine if it helps

beaver34 - 14/11/10 at 05:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by perksy
Not sure of your layout or how much room you have

But this is mine if it helps

thanks was looking at putting mine there, or behind the rad infront of the engine how much oil does that hold? and what engnie is it carnt see from the pic

thanks

perksy - 14/11/10 at 08:27 PM

Vauxhall XE engine

The Tank is from SBD http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Dry_Sump_Systems/Dry_Sump_Spares_Acc/Dry_Sump_Spares.htm

Holds about 5 litres iirc

Mounted to the chassis on some rubber sheet

Be aware though that if you go for a smallish tank like this it needs to be mounted as near to the engine as possible

beaver34 - 14/11/10 at 09:00 PM

Thank you,

Is there anything inside that tank baffles or the like as some I have seen have, I'm having one custom made i think and will mount it behind the steering rack infront of the engine, hopefully should help with cooling and the pipe length will be short

nz_climber - 20/11/10 at 10:02 PM

Mine is where the passenger footwell used to be, put the firewall behind the oil tank

My tank is a bit bigger than 5L, will hold about 10L, but will run with about 8L. Engine Toyota Beams 3sge