Board logo

Catalytic converters and type approval
Cheffy - 19/2/13 at 04:21 PM

Hi,

Been searching for a while but can't find a definitive answer.

I know that replacement catalytic converters on tin tops must be type approved, but does the cat on my Zetec black top build need to be type approved for IVA?

TIA,

Mart.

coyoteboy - 19/2/13 at 05:08 PM

Does it not depend on the year? First I've heard of it having to be type approved for a tin-top, seen dozens of cars that go through MOTs with sports cats fitted that are not type approved.

Cheffy - 19/2/13 at 05:40 PM

I'm going on the info in this thread:-

Linky dinky

Seems to be a bit of a grey area.

Mart.

loggyboy - 19/2/13 at 05:52 PM

IVA is not type approval so it won't effect kitcars. all you need for iva is to pass the emissions test.

Cheffy - 19/2/13 at 06:06 PM

Thanks loggyboy, that's what I'm after.

Mart.

SteveWalker - 19/2/13 at 10:01 PM

Surely type approval is immaterial. The requirement for both IVA and MOT is to meet the emissions requirements - it doesn't matter how you meet them, you don't actually need a cat at all, except that the levels are low enough to generally be unachievable without one.

loggyboy - 19/2/13 at 10:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
Surely type approval is immaterial. The requirement for both IVA and MOT is to meet the emissions requirements - it doesn't matter how you meet them, you don't actually need a cat at all, except that the levels are low enough to generally be unachievable without one.

Not true anymore, mot rules changed recently, if fitted as standard a cat must be present.

[Edited on 19-2-13 by loggyboy]