Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sports CAT's
omega0684

posted on 17/9/09 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
sports CAT's

been looking threw some sports CAT's for a mate of mine who says that it will increase BHP of his car.

his catalytic converter typically has 400 or 600 cells per square inch (cpsi), and he claims the original cat is restrictive in its flow, typically allowing an open area of around 55-65%.

the Milltek sports CAT he wants to get quotes
quote:
A Milltek Sport Hi-flow Sports Cat which will be fully integrated into a large bore downpipe, has only 100-200 cpsi depending on application. These cats have an open area of between 75-85%, thus reducing back pressure substantially and increasing flow rates, all very desirable for extracting more performance, especially on turbocharged engines

ok, so it may increase flow and reduce backpressure but as it has less 'cells per square inch' does that mean its less efficient and therefore doesn't take as many pollutants out of the exhaust fumes as a standard CAT resulting in increased emissions?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 17/9/09 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
isn't "sports cat" a contradition in terms?

seriously though a less restrictive one would flow better but would probably not do its job as well, 6 of 1 half a dozen of another

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

MikeRJ

posted on 17/9/09 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
ok, so it may increase flow and reduce backpressure but as it has less 'cells per square inch' does that mean its less efficient and therefore doesn't take as many pollutants out of the exhaust fumes as a standard CAT resulting in increased emissions?

Yes.

jeffw

posted on 17/9/09 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
I had Milltek sports cats (actually the complete system including downpipes) on my RS4 and it always sailed through the MoT. These where 100cell sports cats which certainly flowed much better than the standard RS4 cats.

sebastiaan

posted on 17/9/09 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Remember, for the type approval tests and to conform to the legislation!) cats need to convert aroudn 95-99% of CO, HC and NOX when they are warm (typically after the engine has run for ~60 seconds)

For the MOT you just need a conversion efficiency of around 50%, meaning that it is OK for the catalyst to "let past" 10-50 times as much CO, HC and NOx (probably not even measured come MOT time, i'm not fully up tot speed on the UK legislation) as during the type approval tests.

So:
MOT: sport cat OK
Type approval test: Sport cat certainly NOT ok.

matt_claydon

posted on 17/9/09 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan
Remember, for the type approval tests and to conform to the legislation!) cats need to convert aroudn 95-99% of CO, HC and NOX when they are warm (typically after the engine has run for ~60 seconds)

For the MOT you just need a conversion efficiency of around 50%, meaning that it is OK for the catalyst to "let past" 10-50 times as much CO, HC and NOx (probably not even measured come MOT time, i'm not fully up tot speed on the UK legislation) as during the type approval tests.

So:
MOT: sport cat OK
Type approval test: Sport cat certainly NOT ok.

^ what he said.

Type-approval / MOT are not really comparable as the results are in g/km rather than % and it's done on a drive cycle rather than at fast idle, but the point above still stands.

mrwibble

posted on 18/9/09 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
for about 300£ + u might get 3-4bhp...
jeffw

posted on 18/9/09 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Get considerable more than that on a Turbo car....

britishtrident

posted on 18/9/09 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Any non type approved replacement cats fitted to a standard tintop 2001 onwards are now an MOT failure.

If you buy a replacement cat it must be type approved for the vehicle it is fitted too.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

stevebubs

posted on 18/9/09 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Any non type approved replacement cats fitted to a standard tintop 2001 onwards are now an MOT failure.

If you buy a replacement cat it must be type approved for the vehicle it is fitted too.

MOT is also a "visible only" test, so if the sports cats are hidden behind a shield, it would be hard to tell if they were original or not...I'd also question whether some corner street MOT places would recognise OEM vs aftermarket...

mrwibble

posted on 18/9/09 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
so what car is it for?
britishtrident

posted on 19/9/09 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs

MOT is also a "visible only" test, so if the sports cats are hidden behind a shield, it would be hard to tell if they were original or not...I'd also question whether some corner street MOT places would recognise OEM vs aftermarket...

MOT stations have been made well aware of it while normal pattern replacement cats might be harder to spot a sports cat stands out like a sore thumb.
On a properly type approved cat the R103 approval number is normally stamped in big letters in a visible position on the underside of the cat.

see http://www.r103.info/20090327160741561_0001.pdf

There is a loop hole for cats developed before the end of 2002 but that can only really be exploited on models sold or used before that date.

see http://www.r103.info/LABELS.pdf

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.