Board logo

Track Use - Cut down sump
dmrider_10 - 28/7/14 at 08:31 AM

Hi there this is my real proper nuts and bolts thread on here so Hi!

Ive recently bought this car:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=192316

The builder has done a very good job of it and was meticulous.

My main intention for the car is fast road and track use. Previous to this Ive had several mx5s, all with bullet proff reliablity, I dont want it to end there!

My concern is the reduced sump size, as per the advert ^:

"The engine has a modified sump off a RWD Sierra 2.0 DOHC that has a round 40mm removed from the bottom"

Now the car also has an accusump system plumbed in but I see this as a bit of a get out of jail free card and not something which should really be working away at every corner? Maybe Im wrong?

I was just wondering who else is running a reduced height (40mm seems alot!) sierra sump and does track work, any problems?

Also Ive effectively lost 0.8 ish of a litre of oil capacity with the reduced sump volume which is surely detrimental too?

Any info/advice welcomed, thanks

loggyboy - 28/7/14 at 08:43 AM

Do you know the accu sump is working round every bend? if so then something is wrong.
As long as you keep the oil level on max then the 0.8l loss will only just be at the theoretical minimum line so is not really 'under capacity'.
Accusump will also increase overall capacity.

Paul Turner - 28/7/14 at 08:50 AM

If a cut down sump is done correctly you should be OK but most DIY sumps are a disaster waiting to happen. DIYers just do not have the knowledge to know what you can get away with. One error and its a lost engine.

I have had a Dunnell sump on my Zetec for 12 years now. Its got a fair bit cut from the lowest point but most of that lost capacity has been replaced by extending the flat bottom to include the original raised area. An oil change takes just over 4 litres but a fill from a dry engine is nearly 4.5 litres. It is also very well baffled to prevent the oil sloshing about and the pick up has been modified correctly so that it is the correct distance off the bottom. Done several sprints and a few track days and providing the oil is at the correct level there are no issues. If you let it fall too low (only happened once) its still OK in corners but falls worryingly when you brake really hard (but not enough to put the warning light on which is set at 30 psi).

The only way to be 100% sure about surge is to dry sump the engine. But that costs ££££'s.

Jenko - 28/7/14 at 11:53 AM

Should be fine with the accusump. I used one on my last car (mostly track) to good effect. It stopped oil surge, and as mentioned also adds some additional oil capacity.

The engine you have is fairly rare in kit cars, so not much options other than the accusump.

You will only know if you have a problem if you are on track...so, keep enjoying the car and keep an eye on the oil pressure gauge.

snapper - 28/7/14 at 01:20 PM

A proper cut down sump should have capacity put back with an extra box to one side or shorter bowl extended to the rear with baffles

redturner - 28/7/14 at 06:45 PM

I have done lots of sump reductions for the Locost race cars. We normally remove 40mm but always put the lost capacity back on, to the front. We have had no reports of failure through oil problems...

dmrider_10 - 28/7/14 at 08:48 PM

Redturner, have you done many sierra sumps? Do you add any baffling? Any pics?

Thanks

redturner - 28/7/14 at 08:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dmrider_10
Redturner, have you done many sierra sumps? Do you add any baffling? Any pics?

Thanks

Not done a Sierra sump except to dry sump them for fitting to Black Tops. If done correctly the original metal can be used to create baffles without any chopping provided that you increase the capacity to original. We only have pictures of our dry sumps.....

baz-R - 29/7/14 at 06:37 PM

i have a haynes roadster with a 30mm cutdown "wet" sump but i have a zetec in mine
i hillclimb and get no issues

i dont think a accusump would be needed unless there is already an issue and i dont even need an oil cooler in my car sound like there is a capacity issue

[Edited on 29/7/14 by baz-R]

dmrider_10 - 29/7/14 at 09:34 PM

Just to reiterate, I don't currently have any problems, and also Im not really aware of the accusump discharging at any point.

But I know how hard track work is on a car so was just putting the feelers out for the general opinions etc. Sounds like its a case of just trying it! ha

dmrider_10 - 29/7/14 at 09:34 PM

Just to reiterate, I don't currently have any problems, and also Im not really aware of the accusump discharging at any point.

But I know how hard track work is on a car so was just putting the feelers out for the general opinions etc. Sounds like its a case of just trying it! ha