Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Towing Advice Please
Andybarbet

posted on 14/2/11 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
When i hooked up a caravan to our SAAB last year for the 1st time & towed, on a quiet sunday i took it to the industrial estate where i work, i then practised reversing into the parking spaces & turning round etc.

It was well worth a couple of hours of my time, when we got to the campsite, i pulled up, reversed the caravan onto the hardstanding we had booked & all went like clockwork, which was nice considering the amount of people around watching me with a cuppa in their hands !

I didnt find it too difficult driving with 1 tonne of caravan attached either, just make sensible manouvres with plenty of time etc.

One thing i would say though is when i hooked up for the sunday practice, i told the wife and kids to stay indoors and leave me to it until i got home and fully unhitched, i really didnt want any distractions resulting in forgetting to connect something properly.

Good luck and its not as bad as you may think.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

steve m

posted on 14/2/11 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
"practice, i told the wife and kids to stay indoors and leave me to it until i got home and fully unhitched, i really didnt want any distractions resulting in forgetting to connect something properly. "

Andy, you are so right !!

I have been towing Caravans about for 23 ish years, and STILL tell everyone in the car, wife daughter grandkids etc to shut the f**k up untill i say they can talk,

Last year we were nearly at chichester (40 miles from home) when Reece (10) piped up, "grandad can we talk yet"

we all did laugh, as its normally a 5 miniute/ 1/2 mile time, just for met to make sure evry thing feels, and looks right

But the family did take head of my nead to prepare

Steve

jimmyjoebob

posted on 14/2/11 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
DavieP is spot on

I only have a pair of the rachet straps so I put one per side across both wheels with the ratchet tightening the centre section evenly as below (not as neat as your drawing I'm afraid, daviep).

Description
Description

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

HowardB

posted on 15/2/11 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
in my opinion that wont pull up properly.

buy, beg, borrow or acquire 2 more straps to save your pride and joy leaving your trailer and ploughing through your back windowl

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

posted on 15/2/11 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Hi.

The bridging straps in my pic are only £4.99 + p&p. ( handystraps1 , ebay item 110365447997 )

I actually prefer them to the ones with metal loops. Less likely to damage alloy wheels, and cheaper.

Cheers,
Paul G

HowardB

posted on 15/2/11 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
Hi.

The bridging straps in my pic are only £4.99 + p&p. ( handystraps1 , ebay item 110365447997 )

I actually prefer them to the ones with metal loops. Less likely to damage alloy wheels, and cheaper.

Cheers,
Paul G

What he said

Howard

daviep

posted on 15/2/11 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
in my opinion that wont pull up properly.

buy, beg, borrow or acquire 2 more straps to save your pride and joy leaving your trailer and ploughing through your back windowl

hth

Is this based on experience or pure conjecture? Which part do you think will remain un-tensioned?

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

HowardB

posted on 15/2/11 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have experience of using a single strap to hold in multiple places, it always needs "worked" through to allow the tension to move pass the points where it is "locked".

In the diagram shown I fear that the ratchet end would be tight, and the other end less so. In my experience using two straps is better than one fed back, or round. If it works for you that's ok, but I prefer to do it the same way as Mr 907.

thanks

Howard

daviep

posted on 15/2/11 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
I have experience of using a single strap to hold in multiple places, it always needs "worked" through to allow the tension to move pass the points where it is "locked".

In the diagram shown I fear that the ratchet end would be tight, and the other end less so. In my experience using two straps is better than one fed back, or round. If it works for you that's ok, but I prefer to do it the same way as Mr 907.

thanks

I agree that I would always use individual straps if the option was available and the bridging straps are also excellent, however if you cross the straps as shown they will both tighten evenly as there is no part of the straps is actually trying to slide over anything.

As soon as you wrap the strap around anything then you will start to have problems with the ratchet being tight and the hook being slack.

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

stevegough

posted on 15/2/11 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
what a brilliant forum.

You can't knock this forum, can you? A guy asks a simple question like Alex has done here - and BANG! 33 replies including photos, diagrams and loads of advice in just 24 hours - bloody amazing init?

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

norfolkluego

posted on 16/2/11 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
One more tip, once you've strapped the car down you'll be left with one loose end on each ratchet strap. Make sure you tidy them away so they can't come loose and get tangled in the trailer wheels.
nick205

posted on 16/2/11 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackbird Rush
Another thing to watch out for is after a while you'll relax into it then look in the rear view mirror and see this car right up your tail and Sh*t yourself that someones going to plough into you!

Always a winner for making yourself jump

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.