Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Kit car as your only car?.
Nickctp

posted on 5/9/12 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
quote:
Originally posted by Nickctp
I TRIED using my Lotus elise as an all rounder for a year - it just didnt work out. With the kit car I personally would not even consider it after the trouble I had with my Lotus when I had it.

I used my S1 Elise as a daly for 4 years was great fun. I was also the first person in the office all the days of big snow. I have yet to go out in the Locost in the snow but a bit of planning and preparation and it should be ok. However I guess it comes down to how much you want to do it, I always have a set of water proof overalls and my helmet in the car so im good for most wethere.

Oh it was great fun in the good weather - don't get me wrong,but I did struggle in the bad weather & on top of the usual lotus probs. I had an S1 too (tuned K Series) & I guess one of the other issues was I just did not want to damage it in any way as I had spent so much on it bringing it up to spec. But still using a kit as an all year round car - I really dont think it would be ideal unless you are very hardcore - just my 2 pennys worth though!

Westy1994

posted on 5/9/12 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
As Nickctp says, sometimes needs must. I fully appreciate that the cars condition will suffer, but even now I still clean the dam thing after every blat and check everything is still where I fastened it to, so another 15 minutes cleaning the thing more thoroughly won't be much hassle.

I did check various companies that 'say' they cover cars over 10 years old on a special policy, but the Volvo I have is not one of them despite it being nearly 18 years old. I put this down to the fact that there are still many of them in daily use, I passed 3 of the same car as mine only today, the same age as well...... even got a wave from one of them, lol.....

Not finished that PH thread yet, got up to page 14 before turning in last night, so I will finish that off tonight. Been busy on the doors today, one is almost complete now.

@Fieldy. That is something I have considered, however the only use the tintop gets is to transport 3 border collies to vets or for some other dog related reason, buying a car suitable to house 3 such dogs takes me back to what I have already. I can fit 1 dog in the 7 very well, and actaully had to do this a few years ago when the tintop failed to start and it was an emergency, looked a bit odd with a dog in a aeroscreened 7, but hey it worked and the dog survived just fine.

I drove my Spitty for years as an only car, only got another one because I decided to compete with it and running a competition car on the road is no fun at all. Apart from the leaking soft top it was fine.

Not Anumber

posted on 13/9/12 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Go for it Westy, i'm planning to use my Indy all year.
When the first Lotus 7s were made they were regarded as an all round capable sportscar and often used every day as a main car. There has been a change of emphasis since especially with the current attraction to aero screens/ no screens making them a summer only car but theres no reason why they can't fullfill both functions still.

Back in the day before wife and kids I had a Pilgim AC Cobra replica I used all year round including through a harsh winter. It was no less practical than any other sportscar and I cant see any reason why a 7/ Locost should be any different if set up for it.

Andybarbet

posted on 13/9/12 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
I also say go for it.

I drove some very rusty, small, some with soft tops cars for the 1st few years after passing my test in 1990 & managed just fine in all weathers. My chum still has a series 1 land rover that has been his only transport for over 20 years, no heater, soft top etc, mind you it is a 4x4 so atleast thats a bonus in winter I know people who dont have a car licence & ride a motorbike for as much of the year as possible, they seem to manage fine too.

I think we have got too used to our creature comforts in the last few years, I wouldnt hesitate to use a kit for as much of the year as I could, but as said the OP does minimal miles & probably wont even drive in really bad weather so it shouldnt be an issue.

I say good luck & let us know how it goes

[Edited on 13/9/12 by Andybarbet]

Fieldy

posted on 13/9/12 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
So just to be clear what’s the actual issue? I presume the tin top is paid for? Is it the insurance cost? If that’s the main factors maybe something like this would be ok for you….

www.coverbox.co.uk

“The box also allows us to check your miles, the times driven, where you keep the car overnight and if it is different then we can decrease or increase the premium accordingly during the year.”

Don’t think I would personally go down that route, to big brother for my liking but it could work out good for your circumstances, just another option really

Westy1994

posted on 13/9/12 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fieldy
So just to be clear what’s the actual issue? I presume the tin top is paid for? Is it the insurance cost? If that’s the main factors maybe something like this would be ok for you….

www.coverbox.co.uk

“The box also allows us to check your miles, the times driven, where you keep the car overnight and if it is different then we can decrease or increase the premium accordingly during the year.”

Don’t think I would personally go down that route, to big brother for my liking but it could work out good for your circumstances, just another option really

I tried them, they will not cover a car over 10 years old, or at least that's what they told me last week. Kind of glad really anyway for the reasons you mention.

Just finished the doors today, had to make them from scratch due to my not standard windscreen, but they have turned out ok and far better than the Westfield supplied items of the 90's, had an email from the canvas supplier who is having issues with stock, so back to the drawing board there then !.

I agree with the other posts regarding modern cars having spoilt us, but I think an early adulthood of motorbikes has toughened me up somewhat, and I can't really see it being worse than riding a bike.

Had to re-install windows today , so lost a lot of pics, but I do have some from today of the doors I made which I will upload later on when I have found the drivers again.

ETA - Pic attached

[Edited on 13/9/12 by Westy1994]

DIY Si

posted on 13/9/12 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
My BEC used to be my only car, and had no windscreen or doors. Or heater actually. I drove it everywhere, and even in the snow at -4C. At temps that low I was wearing thermal long johns, some short thermal boxer type things, normal trousers and my Helly Hansen water proof over trousers. On top was just a thermal top, a T shirt and my Helly fleece/water proof jacket combo.

With the right gear there's no reason you can't use a 7 all year round as your only car. I've done the weekly shop in mine with no boot box as the passenger footwell suffices, and have even been to B&Q for four 6ft tree posts which came home roped to the roll bar. The only problem I found was that some of my electrics needed more weather proofing. What will be fine in summer heat doesn't always work in traffic when it's pissing it down. But all the funny looks you get does take the edge off!!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

nre

posted on 2/10/12 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
There's a member on here (nre?) who uses a Mojo as his daily transport all year round. Not short commutes either; Leicester to Gaydon I think.

That'll be me :-)

But the commute is only from Warwick to Gaydon so 10 miles each way.

Car has been off the road for the last 6 months, with a broken cam belt tensioner leading to an engine swap, which led to various other upgrades... but prior to that was a daily driver for 7 years... took it's toll on the powder coat though (see sample pic below!)... Needless to say, part of the last 6 months has been spent on a thorough chassis restoration!

Sylva Mojo Zetec on GSXR750 throttle bodies...
www.mymojo.co.uk - Facebook feed

JPSC Forum - A dedicated forum for discussion on all things relating to Jeremy Phillips designed cars
Including the Star, Leader, Striker, Phoenix, Fury, Jester, Stylus, Mojo, Riot, J15 & Vectis

wilkingj

posted on 2/10/12 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Tip for wet weather clothing...

Go to the BMF Bike show (usually at Peterborough) and look in the Rejects tent for clothing.
A large proportion of it is mail order returns that they cant sell as new.

I got an Aquapore jacket that retailed at £140 for £40. It was minus the Armour plating sections. But what the Hell... you dont need elbow and back pads in a car. Also in perfect condition just minus the removeable armour plates.

I got a full face ACU Gold Spot Approved Helmet for £35. Absolutely fine condition, completely unmarked. Just the box was a bit battered. I wear the Helmet on my head in the Viento, not the box

Gloves were £5 a pair, good leather and synthetic Biker gloves, I bought 3 pairs.

A word of warning... CAREFULLY EXAMINE every detail of the item, seams, stitching, missing studs, zips etc... There was some real crap hidden in the rails of perfectly good clothing. But Most was realy good kit, especially if you are a Kit car driver and not using it for biking.

Certainly a hell of a bargain for me.
Next show will probably be early next year. Its a bit late for this year.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Westy1994

posted on 2/10/12 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Due to the rather limited internal size of my car, wearing huge winter jackets would be a pain in the £&% I would think, I have just this week done a trial fit of a proposed half roof using the front rail / catches I made a month or so ago, even went as far as gaffer taping it on more securely and going for a blast, chickened out at 60mph but it stayed on and was very well behaved, it flapped about a bit at the door tops, but some Velco would stop that. I have the option at this point to convert it to a full hood, need more testing to see if I can cope with just a half one.

[url=

@ Nre

Not sure what engine you run, but with my aged Xflow chassis rust is not really an issue due to it doing its own oil changes whilst being driven, ending up as mist all over the chassis, this annoyed me at first having spent an age repainting the whole chassis some years ago, but now I see it as quite a bonus....

[Edited on 2/10/12 by Westy1994]

nre

posted on 3/10/12 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Westy1994

@ Nre

Not sure what engine you run, but with my aged Xflow chassis rust is not really an issue due to it doing its own oil changes whilst being driven, ending up as mist all over the chassis, this annoyed me at first having spent an age repainting the whole chassis some years ago, but now I see it as quite a bonus....

[Edited on 2/10/12 by Westy1994]

Zetec installed at the back of my car, so even if it did leak it wound't help a great deal!

Sylva Mojo Zetec on GSXR750 throttle bodies...
www.mymojo.co.uk - Facebook feed

JPSC Forum - A dedicated forum for discussion on all things relating to Jeremy Phillips designed cars
Including the Star, Leader, Striker, Phoenix, Fury, Jester, Stylus, Mojo, Riot, J15 & Vectis

DIY Si

posted on 3/10/12 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Depending upon what seats you have, and how big you are, you may be surprised how much you can wear. I'm 6'3" with a 46" chest and I found wearing all my winter gear quite snuggley and warm once in the seat. But having no roof or doors does make getting in and out easier than with them.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.