New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Worried of Doncaster
Jon Ison

posted on 31/12/05 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
I'm getting worried.

What's the problem? - I hear you ask.
Well it's this forum. I may be wrong, and feel free to shoot me down, BUT it's going the way of a number of other forums and turning in to a "Where can I buy 'X'" rather than "how do I make 'X'"
Perhaps it's me getting old, but people are getting too impatient, wanting stuff NOW, rather than thinking about it and building it.
Anyway, what do you think?

Marcus

what do i think ? does it matter ? enjoy

DEAN C.

posted on 31/12/05 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't a difference of opinion wonderful?
"Genesis"

What do I think?does it matter?Enjoy!
"Jon Ison"

Although I agree with Marcus in principle I think the two quotes above sum it up totally,and I dont discourage anyone!

PS. I'm off into the garage to start my new project,a pile of bits in boxes which in a couple of years should resemble a 1964 Velocette Venom,glad Im not still casting my engine block for the Indy.

[Edited on 31/12/05 by DEAN C.]

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

steve_gus

posted on 31/12/05 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
50% was a guess I think when we had polls in the past, its summat like 30-40% with the rest all various kits.

Personally, I found building my chassis the most enjoyable bit. Then, on the other hand, Ive seen the MK chassis in a show and thought how nicely turned out it was.

But, my intention was always to create somethign unique that I could say was from a pile of steel, and not a kit. Started in 2000 btw and 80% complete. (Pehaps this is a good argument for keeping things quick and simple and close to 'book' design, which my car isnt....)

regarding manufacturers outsourcing - there are reasons..... My BIL used to work for one of fords suppliers. He also worked for them when they were part of ford too. Apparently, ford tend to sell off a lot of their own parts making divisions for two reasons. Firstly, they can beat them up for a better price and swap suppliers should they need to. Secondly, if they do need to swap suppliers or make other money savings, its someone else that lays people off and makes redundancies, and not Ford........

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 31/12/05 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with Steve.

the things that took the most time on my car we're the thing's that matter least.

If I started again I'd leave out the heater, the boot, the fully trimmed interior, the complicated dash etc.

Keep it Simple Stupid - words to live by!

It's nice to be able to say "I made that", everything apart from the roll bar and the bits Henry Ford Gave me is an original, Chrisg item (Which is probably why it's so crap!)

It's a Like a graph with cheap and quick as the axes.

The cheaper it is, the longer it takes.

Conversly you can have it tomorrow if you have enough cash, and Caterham's phone number.

There's nothing like the experience of driving at speed in a car you MADE, rather than built, Pride's a good thing

It could be an excellent laxative too.

Cheers

Chris

David Jenkins

posted on 31/12/05 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
For me, building was 75% of the 'hobby', with the actual driving a bonus (I've always wanted a 'seven' but could never afford it).

I deliberately didn't go for the bells & whistles approach - super-light, ultra-fast, whatever - and instead went for a 'classic' design.

It was fun to make, is a huge grin to drive around, and still occupies me even though it's on the road.

I don't care if others want to go for the flash, ultra-fast car - that's their choice. I'm having fun with what I've got!

David

Marcus

posted on 1/1/06 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
First of all, allow me to apologise if I offended anyone with this thread, it was definitely not intended!
I appreciate the work that goes into even the most comprehensive kit, and agree with Jon, if that's what floats your boat, who cares, enjoy.
I just think a lot of people are missing out.
Before Locost, I couldn't weld, spray or bend aluminium. I bought a welder (secondhand, I hasten to add!), was given a small comperessor, and a book.
It was 2 weeks of welding practice before I dared starting to weld the chassis. I cut up so many pieces of RHS to check for porous welds, bashed them into submission until the metal snapped before the welds, only then did I start.
This is where I feel lots are missing out. Ok, if space is a problem, I can't argue. But any idiot can learn to weld, with very few exceptions (I proved that).
A little mechanical knowledge can go a long way and mechanical sympathy will get you further. But the most important attribute is patience.
Go on build your chassis - it's easy

Marcus

Oh, and as for being a grumpy old git, yes, you're probably right!

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega 24 v6

posted on 1/1/06 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have to agree to a certain extent with the original post. We are a small nation of people but have always been an enormous nation of inventors and engineers possible the largest on earth. I am always telling my Son that when your are faced with a problem you might not always be able to solve it but you must first look around you and try all your resources to solve the problem yourself. Exhaust all possibilities before admitting defeat. Personal achievment must be the greatest feeling in the world, and I would say to anyone wanting to build a kit car "If thats what you want to do then fine "
However anyone out there who thinks to themselves " I wonder if I could do the whole thing myself" then the answer is definately yes. If you're confident enough to think you might be able to I'm sure you can especially with all the help available on here.

wilkingj

posted on 1/1/06 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I am concerned its make what I can and buy what I cant make.

Most people fear the electrics. As an apprenticed (old school) BT Engineer of 36 years experience, and a practising Radio Amateur of 25 years, I find that part easy. Some do, and some dont, and that goes for all aspects of the build.

Lets not knock each other. I dont care about reputations, or whether my build is better than yours.

To me, this site is about people of all abilities and skill levels coming together and helping each other to build our cars.

Thats what this site is about, not whether you are a die hard scratch builder or a chequebook builder.
ALL should be welcome, as we each have different skills, knowlege and experience to offer to those less fortunate not to have that particular skill or snippet of knowlege.

Edit:
Couldnt spell apprentice (now corrected)

[Edited on 2/1/2006 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Trev D

posted on 1/1/06 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Here here.; )
Ian Pearson

posted on 1/1/06 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Here here.; )

Well said that man!

DEAN C.

posted on 4/1/06 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
Marcus,I dont think anyone took offence,you were only giving people a reality check and at least you've the guts to say what you think in a reasonable manner.
I think most of us understood where you were coming from.
I'm a qualified engineer(time served fitter/mechanic) but it never stops amazing me the cars some non mechanical people finish,mind you there are some rough ones as well,but not many now probably due to the SVA.

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.