Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Religious Fundamentalism and Creationism
flak monkey

posted on 5/1/06 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have a few problems with certain christian denominations. But there are good and bad in each (though some are more strict than others).

I am definately not be your stereotypical Christian by any means (you wouldnt think it to look at me). And i certainly dont go around pushing my ideas or beliefs on anyone (those are the types i have the most issues with, and they tend to be the fundamentalist type as well).

I am methodist, probably the least pushy of the Christian denominations.

I am quite willing to accept peoples criticism of religion. And think no worse of those who dont believe or have faith. I have had patches of questioning my faith, but its always been there in the back of my mind.

Wars have been fought throughout time in the name of religion, but never in the true cause. Its just another excuse, and its a terrible thing, and makes people very wary.

People think religion makes your life boring. It most certainly does not. It doesnt change much in your life at all to be fair, it can if you want it to, but it doesnt have to. People also have these stereotypical views of religious types as bible bashers and dowdy old women, this is not the case at all. At our church at home I helped get a christian rock (proper rock with big guitar solos etc) band in to play, and we often had lively services which were by no means boring!

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

derf

posted on 7/1/06 at 04:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
and B. Have the power to excommunicate people from God

Ive been trying to get excommunicated for 2 years now, ive sent blasphomouse letters to the vatican addressed to the "dude with the funny hat that always wear pj's and speaks funny". ive never had a response.

I'm a barely there Jew. I do some (read none unless my parents make me) of the religous stuff, but i have in general been put off by religion. The catholic church is way too controlling. My wife can be nuts if I bring up religion, she goes to church and is scared of god and all. Ive even seen her pray for me. Ive never asked for that nor do I want it it. if god doesnt see that i'm a generally good person and should be accepted as I am then screw him. He asks me to accept him for the sadistic murderer he claims to be, and i think it should go both ways.

And who is the vatican to say that they are the only way to god, sounds kinda kooky to me, if they are so almighty then give the money that they have sitting in the bank and feed the poor, use some money for some good now, look into stem cells to see if they can work. I dont think stem cells are the cure all for everything, but if scientists keep looking at the next big cure then one will be the next big cure.

Anyway i'm gonna take a walk over to my bathroom and take a poo and comtemplate the meaning of life some more, maybee something wothwile will come out.

smart51

posted on 7/1/06 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by derf
if god doesnt see that i'm a generally good person and should be accepted as I am then screw him.

Words you might live to regret?

Oh God, you do exist! Err, Um, I guess I did once say that.

steve_gus

posted on 7/1/06 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
and god, being a loving god, would not let that one thing condemn you.

But isnt there something in the bible that infers that you can be a great person all of your life, yet still do one little thing and be sent to hell.

Perfection is difficult to achieve over a lifetime.

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve_gus

posted on 7/1/06 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I think its true that the catholic church has so much money that it could indeed make a big difference to the world if it needed to.

they could sell the Vatican, which looks prime land, and move to rural India. That would raise a fair bit and God sees all, even in India. Jesus had nothing, nuns and monks have nothing, but the catholic church is a major land and property owner.

atb

steve

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Russ-Turner

posted on 9/1/06 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
"I love my family and I go to work, so why should I spend two hours of my Sunday hearing about how I'm going to hell?!" -Homer Simpson-

Triton

posted on 9/1/06 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Russ-Turner
"I love my family and I go to work, so why should I spend two hours of my Sunday hearing about how I'm going to hell?!" -Homer Simpson-

I second that

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Benzine

posted on 9/1/06 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
Asked this guy, I said, 'Can I ask you a question? It's a one-word question.'
"Go ahead."
"Dinosaur". Come on man, Dinosaur fossils. What's the deal?"
"Dinosaur fossils? God put those there to test our faith."
"I think God put you here to test my faith, dude. You believe that?"
"Uh huh."

Does that trouble anyone here? The idea that God might be fuckin' with our heads? Anyone have trouble sleeping restfully with that thought in their heads? God's running around, burying fossils: "Huh huh ho. We will see who believes in me now, ha ha!. I'm a prankster god. I am killing me. Ho ho ho ho."

You know, you die, you go to St. Peter,
"Did you you believe in dinosaurs?"
"Well, you know, there were fossils everywhere." (trapdoor opens) Aaaaarhhh!!

"What are you, an idiot? God was FUCKING with you! Giant flying lizards? You moron! That's one of God's easiest jokes!"
"It seemed so plausible! Aieeeeeeeee!"

Bound for the lake of fire. . . . While I appreciate your quaint traditions, superstitions, and, you know, I on the other hand am an evolved being who deals solely with the source of light which exists in all of us, in our own minds, no middle man required.

"Such a weird belief. Lots of Christians wear crosses around their necks. You think when Jesus comes back he's gonna want to see a fucking cross, man? Might be why he hasn't shown up yet."

"I just think it's interesting to see how people act on their beliefs, you know what I mean? 'Cause your beliefs, they're just that, they're nothin', there's how you were taught, and raised. That doesn't make 'em real. That's why I always recommend a psychedelic experience, 'cause it does make you realize that everything you learned is in fact just learned, and not necessarily true."

"According to Christianity, eternal suffering awaits anyone who questions God's infinite love. That's the message we're brought up with, believe or die. "Thank you, forgiving Lord, for all those options."

"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side."

"You ever noticed how people who believe in Creationism look really unevolved?"
--Bill Hicks

I, personally, keep an open mind to anything and question everything. I can niether prove nor disprove god(s).

[Edited on 9/1/06 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

Peteff

posted on 10/1/06 at 12:19 AM Reply With Quote
Hello God, this is the meek.

We're here to inherit the Earth. Read on .

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MikeP

posted on 10/1/06 at 03:37 AM Reply With Quote
God created fossils to test our faith? That's just crazy, he never did. Nope, Lucifer did it. And a damn good job too, very detailed (pun intended).
Mark18

posted on 10/1/06 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
The bible talks about dinosaurs in Job. chapter 40 or something.

Mark

Benzine

posted on 10/1/06 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Job uses the word Behemoth, the biggest land animal (not knowing about dinosaurs) would surely seem huge. How did they survive at the same time as man when the oxygen content of the atmosphere was completely different? The reason dinosaurs were able to be so big was the high oxygen content in the atmosphere surely.

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

NS Dev

posted on 10/1/06 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
As a simple atheist I don't struggle at all with any of these ideas of creationism vs anything else.

All of this is simply us little bacteria-like humans scuttling about on the petri-dish that is the earth trying to explain our existence, much to the amusement of some far away aliens watching us in their scientific experiments.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

steve_gus

posted on 10/1/06 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
nope. its the mice that are watching us

atb

steve

Just knock off the 's'!

MikeP

posted on 10/1/06 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
All of this is simply us little bacteria-like humans scuttling about on the petri-dish that is the earth trying to explain our existence, much to the amusement of some far away aliens watching us in their scientific experiments.

That's a bit arrogant isn't it? We're a light star-dusting on a backwoods planet in a uninteresting galaxy - I think we'd be pretty low down on any alien's priority list.

Another one of Lucifer's tricks I suppose - making us appear to be such an insignificant part of an enormous universe - it could be rather faith shattering...

quattromike

posted on 10/1/06 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve_gus
nope. its the mice that are watching us

atb

steve

Well then whos is watching the mice?

Mike

NS Dev

posted on 11/1/06 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
the soup tins always watch the mice... silly!

The tinned carrots need watching though!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Mark18

posted on 16/1/06 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
I remember Gabriel byrne putting it well in a film:

God is the great underachiever of all time - whenever something happens it is attributed to Him, whenever nothing does He moves in mysterious ways.

Same blaming the devil for being the root of our shortcomings.

The basis of christianity is jesus died for our sins so we can go to heaven. People fail to look at the big picture; if god created our world, heaven and everything in both, ie. lucifer, then why would he have to die.

It's like building a locost, and a garage to put it in, and then having to die because one of the powertools was upset.

All IMO.

Mark

Mark Allanson

posted on 16/1/06 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
If God exists I think it is a species, not an individual, and we have our very own 12 year old spotty little sod who loves nothing better than to burn ants with a magnifying glass on every sunny day.

Now that would explain a great many things

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

carcentric

posted on 16/1/06 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
How many here are Quakers? Or know a Quaker?

M D "Doc" Nugent
http://www.carcentric.com

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.