New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: CEC vs BEC
olv

posted on 6/4/06 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
i wish i could decide!
Jon Ison

posted on 7/4/06 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skydivepaul you wouldnt want to drive to the south of france in one and back.

I would/did/have/would again along with plenty of others.

Jon Ison

posted on 7/4/06 at 05:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oioi

at the ne7ers trackday there were a number of bec's and cec's. i was following cooooooose down the back straight (hes got a light R1 striker) and was lifting all the way down to stop burying it into the back of him.

Try turning the wheel either left or right slightly and overtake him next time............... maybe he was stuck in 3rd or summat like that

ch1ll1

posted on 7/4/06 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
well i have now had both
carnt comment yet on bec (but up to now it great) as only just got it running
why dont you just have both !

week daycar ( cec)
weekend car (bec)

sorted

[Edited on 7/4/06 by ch1ll1]

tks

posted on 7/4/06 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
Naahhh

i thought of 2 things what is our goal?

Building an cruise car? or Building a sportscar?

Every sportscar revs sow i build a Bec. When i have to do a long distance trip i maybe come back from the statement.

But i won a sportscar.

Both engines can make serious huge power. Its just how much money you trow at it.

But the BEC will always win in the corners and on acceleration.

CEC vs BEC for me its like compraing an diesel car and a petrol

You want / like revs or you don´t.

back to watch mode...

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

zetec

posted on 7/4/06 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't get too hung up on power. Get the chassis/brakes/steering sorted and make the car easy to drive and you will always be faster than someone who struggles to put the power down and has to fight the car. If trackdays have taught me anything it is that to be fast you need to get the corners right and learn how to out brake the next bloke. CEC seem to be easier to drive and more forgiving to being in the wrong gear at the wrong time.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

procomp

posted on 7/4/06 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Hi shurley this is a personel thing as to what you prefer. Just looked at the 750mc results to see if there was a staggaring difference in performance as the bec guys seem to think. Results.

donnington taken at random from last years results page.

RGB- front runners 1.17-1.19 180-200bhp

kits- front runners 1.22-1.23 155 bhp

locost f/runners 1.30-1.31 85bhp

Question is what happens when you put 200 bhp in to a cec easily down to the same times as the bec lads but i dont have the offical times to prove that.

each to there own preference there is no big advantage.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 7/4/06 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
slightly different scenario, but when nationalsupersports was still going vauxhall engined cars always beat hyabusa engined radicals. club & prosports and sr3's that were about at the time. Either on same power to weight ratio (with ballasting). I only once recall an unballasted (read high power/weight) prosport with a breathed on 1500 hyabusa coming past a vauxhall engined car and thats cos the guy fluffed it out of the hairpin leading to the banked corner at rockingham.

Ned.

ps that particular driver has since sold the radical for a v6 cec!

[Edited on 7/4/06 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bernie955

posted on 7/4/06 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I have a bike so don't feel the need for the sound and sequential box of a BEC. When I build it'll be a CEC as I plan to use it mostly on the road anyway.

If I just wanted a track day tool I'd build a BEC.

David Jenkins

posted on 7/4/06 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
I have a CEC, but like BECs as well - we need a 3rd option in the poll!

David

iank

posted on 7/4/06 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
3rd option diesel???
tks

posted on 7/4/06 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
naahh

the Third option should be an RX7 or RX8 engine..

because they also rev and make huge power.

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

skydivepaul

posted on 7/4/06 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
quote:
Originally posted by skydivepaul you wouldnt want to drive to the south of france in one and back.

I would/did/have/would again along with plenty of others.

I should have rephrased that to "I wouldnt want to................" i know plenty of people drive down to le mans every year with no problem.
just me being a big girls blouse

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

matt_claydon

posted on 7/4/06 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
3rd option diesel???

Would that be a TEC? (Tractor engined car)

Jon Ison

posted on 7/4/06 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp

donnington taken at random from last years results page.

RGB- front runners 1.17-1.19 180-200bhp

kits- front runners 1.22-1.23 155 bhp

locost f/runners 1.30-1.31 85bhp

You sure the kits only have 155bhp ? the regs allow a lot of tuning in the engine dept (I can think of one RV8 powered car in kits that put out close too double that) non of which is allowed in RGB, if there is no advantage on track with a bike engine why where they banned from under 2000cc class's let alone smaller cc class limits ? We have too agree to disagree maybe, on long straights, motorways ect the strong CEC will always pull thru but somewhere where lots of acceleration is required and top speed is limited by an fast approaching corner then the BEC will take some licking, of course it can be done but it costs a few $$$$$ to do it.

Jon Ison

posted on 7/4/06 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
£ for £ this qoute puts it into prospective...............

Before the RGBs went out the Roadsports Championship had their qualifying session. The Roadsports Championship is an eclectic mix of sports cars, including Nobles, Porsches, a Morgan +8, a TVR Tuscan etc. At the front of the grid the cars will be costing well in excess of £50,000, and yet the pole winner (Noble) wouldn’t have made the top three in RGB! Furthermore, the third quickest Roadsports runner in a Noble M12 would have qualified fifteenth in RGB!

This does illustrate just how quick the RGB cars are, and whilst no one will ever say motorsport is cheap, the RGB Championship does represent incredibly quick and competitive racing for the money.

Jasper

posted on 7/4/06 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
As others have said, it all depends on what type of car you want, and where you're gonna use it.

I've had a BEC, loved it for a while, then got frustated with any kind of distance driving, so I'm now build a 280bhp cec which will outperform my 140bhp bec for sure.....

JoelP

posted on 7/4/06 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
i intend to build a zx12 bec soon for tracking, but eventually i will build a much larger 3 seater with a large v8, ideally the audi lump I think the bike engines are justa whim for me.
Jon Ison

posted on 7/4/06 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
I cant, I'm still in mid life crisis.........

I have always wanted too fit a rotary though, even back in my off road days, maybe one day it will happen........

OX

posted on 7/4/06 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
i'd swap my bec for hicosts or chris masons in a flash
procomp

posted on 8/4/06 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
HI jon yep thoes times for kits where for the class b zetec 155 bhp cars as the v8 with 300 bhp cant hang on at the corners so overall is no quicker as said a 200 bhp cec will stay and leave the 220 bhp busa of charsley when he was testing.
2.0 zetec 200bhp
+£750 g/box = £3000

220 bhp busa = ?

But its still a personal choise cec or bec . I just think that the guys with a bec think there is a much bigger performace gain when there isnt at kit car level.

cheers matt

rocket

posted on 20/7/06 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Bec's lack torque

I have heard from a racing driver that around the track after 70-80 mph the car engined cars do pull away faster.

I have no experience with bec's and have decided to build with a 200 bhp zetec.

Car stripped down I would expect to come in at less that 600kg

thats ( I think ) 300 bhp per tonne?

I would expect 0-60 to be down in the 5's and top speed of around 140 -150

that's pretty good going.

One reason I did go this route though as a direct hit on bec cars is that the car enigined route ( even a modern engine such as the zetec) is much cheaper.

i.e. I bought a mondeo 2l for £140 with a blowing head gasket head skimming was £80 and I've ported it myself which gets me up to approx 170-180 bhp

All thats left to buy is cams at £200 and enigine managment at £300 Oh and the 40's were £100

That's £800 for a good enigine. All the fireblade engines I've seen are around £1000 and a hyabusa would be £2000 min.

Just my view.

Rgds

Roger

jollygreengiant

posted on 24/7/06 at 04:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iscmatt
(sorry you can't choose both even though i know you wouldn't want too!)

so what will it be?

Ah but if you just press vote without selecting one at all, it does accept that.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Krismc

posted on 24/7/06 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
We got to do some tests with some 1.6-2.0 CEC and mid range BECs. Some 0-60, 30-70, 50-80mph figureE etc

Nothing stupid like busa turbos - cause if i turboed my zetec it would be 285bhp and we could go on for ever!!

Anyway CEC or BEC??!?

I went on price- i didnt want to fork out £1500 for a R1 and £700 for a reverse box so went CEC and now im really glad i did!!!

Even though i still thought a car engined car will and would be much faster especially around the 70-100MPh mark- i think bike engines sound/seem faster and have more a thrill to them- thats why people think they is a difference- and i just dont think there is in some cases!

But is there anything better than a 4cly grunt from Tbs or webbers..... i think not

So i got a £300 2.0 Zetec and despite want to keep costs low so far on engine ive spent in the region of £2.5k nearly oops sumthing went wrong there!!

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

mk_xe

posted on 10/4/09 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
lets face it both are great

However dont underextimate a cec and what torque can do

My 232hp Vauxhall engined MK would i imagine 'worry' most bec's

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.