Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Wat is the most powerful MK?
procomp

posted on 6/9/06 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi isimply stated that when at cadwell park18 months or so ago i was driving a 155bhp normally aspirated zetec engined kitcar and was quicker than the dax hyabusa turbo round the circuit so were plenty of other road going kitcars there on the day. I have no idea who was driving the dax other than they were using it as a demo car and they were certinaly driving it hard. So yes at cadwell park a severn with a turbo with 350ish bhp will only be on the pace of a locost race car with 90bhp or any other road going seven with upto 150bhp normally aspirated assuming that all cars are being driven by some one who has a reasonable level of driving ability and all cars are setup pretty good for road use also.
It is pretty much reconised that to get the same car with a turbo up to the same pace around a circuit you will need almost double the bhp of the normally aspirated car. And no it dose not mean that a turbo car is less fun to drive around the same circuit.And yes trackdays are there for people to drive at there own pace but what was being discussed was the benifit or not of the same car running a turbo or not .
cheers matt

Appologies if that sounded agressive but your reply sounded as tho you were getting at me .

Sorry if i got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

[Edited on 6/9/06 by procomp]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 6/9/06 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with procomp, I have been at race meetings where rs500 sierra's have been beaten by 300bhp nat asp touring cars. I was told you normally need at least 50% more power with a turbo to equal a nat asp setup normally down to setup of boost/lag/usable powerband etc of a turbo install.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 6/9/06 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Findlay234
its not an MK but what about hicost's car... 415bhp & 400 ftlb torque

http://www.jamesmiles.co.uk/

ok its a bit bigger than the standard locost chassis but not very different.

[Edited on 31/8/06 by Findlay234]

HICOST IS A PLUS SIX!!!!!!!!!

gttman

posted on 6/9/06 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
seem very strange to me, the high boost 350bhp cossie I had would absolutelly anihalate my std M3 (321bhp NA) on track.

I was warned away from putting the cossie engine in a 7 though which is why I have an R1 engine.

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

Crazy Jay

posted on 6/9/06 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gttman
seem very strange to me, the high boost 350bhp cossie I had would absolutelly anihalate my std M3 (321bhp NA) on track.

I was warned away from putting the cossie engine in a 7 though which is why I have an R1 engine.

Yeah I see wat you mean, my car with 270bhp beat an M3 3.0 with a proven 300bhp off the line and mid range it pulled a sizeable gap. With every gear change its still in boost. The only issue i can see with the turbo's is wheel spinning in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear

gttman

posted on 7/9/06 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp

Appologies if that sounded agressive but your reply sounded as tho you were getting at me .

Sorry if i got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

[Edited on 6/9/06 by procomp]

I wasn't getting at you was just pointing out that just because people are on track does not mean that the car was on the limit and thus you can't judge performance from that alone.

To be hounest generally I am astounded that people actually think that a turbo makes cars as a whole that much slower.
Take the RS500, it was dominant in its day raceing against NA cars and can't be compared to modern day cars as its 20years old now.

The problem IMO is that a 7 type can only take so much torque and then its almost impossible to make the package work well.... power is nothing without control as they say.

Andygtt

procomp

posted on 7/9/06 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi no problem as i said to quadra every one has there own point of veiw and this is a disscusion forum.

And you have hit the nail on the head. with seven type cars weighing in at 450-600kg there is only so much power/torque that you can put down to the ground and the rest is costing a lot of money to obtain and no really useful way of using it .

cheers matt

gttman

posted on 9/9/06 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
All a turbo does is effectivelly increase the capacity of the engine, it's not the turbo's fault if the package can't cope with the resulting torque.

Low down Torque in a lightweight car is never going to be easy to use no matter how its created.... what we all need is a modern F1 engine with only 235ftlb torque but 19,000rpm!

Andygtt

DIY Si

posted on 9/9/06 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
235 lbft! Is that it?! That's pooo

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

gttman

posted on 9/9/06 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
but its also over 850bhp!

Andygtt

thomas4age

posted on 15/9/06 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
keep it simple, ditch a NA 4age 20v in there,
it has enough torque to make beelzebub soil his underpants. and plenty top end (8krpm) power to be very entertaining and you don't have to touch cams or anything to get there. just get the ECU stff done and off you go.
Mine has 121RWhp and 163RWnm in fourth, just build it light!

grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

Crazy Jay

posted on 16/9/06 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Ive been talking to a mate who has a 550bhp evo 7 and he has an anti-lag system with traction control. Think thats maybe the way to go. £2000 tho's more than a little steep

Quite a fan of those 4age engines

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.