Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blade vs more
Smartripper

posted on 17/12/07 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry can't help you, one person have the engine out off his car......

The other is in sleeping mode.....over the winter period.

Maybe you can get a ride by the dutch MK importer Haselier in Echt.....

He got a mk with zx12r engine and more..

Daniel

ChrisGamlin

posted on 17/12/07 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
We've run 12.5 secs quite a few times at York Raceway and at Santa Pod and never managed to achieve a trap speed in excess of 105mph.

Phil

Bizarre, maybe the traps we recorded were wrong then! <confused>

What is confusing if that's the case is that mine certainly added up with regards to gearing, and my Digidash which is set up pretty accurately (compared to GPS) recorded a 0-100 in just under 10 during one of those runs as well.

Oh well, will have to try it again next year and do some more thorough logging to see!

cheers

Chris

ChrisGamlin

posted on 17/12/07 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Knew Id seen a vid somewhere

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-2649319141088435648

Here's a rather unscientific 0-100-0 by a standard Westie Megabusa, owned by a chap called Jeff (JeffC) on the WSCC. Gives a reasonable idea of the acceleration I think. Im sure Ive probably got some of mine doing 60-100 on a trackday somewhere accelerating out of a corner etc, not sure I'll be able to see the dash clear enough or not though.

[Edited on 17/12/07 by ChrisGamlin]

Minicooper@work

posted on 17/12/07 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
What about this one from the same site,

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=2993666940700123263

Clearly shows the grunt on any long straight with a 400hp V8 car engine

but who's in the lead 99% of the time!

Cheers
David

gingerprince

posted on 17/12/07 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGamlin
Im sure Ive probably got some of mine doing 60-100 on a trackday somewhere accelerating out of a corner etc, not sure I'll be able to see the dash clear enough or not though.

If you watch my video from Teesside I've got the digidash data overlayed and lap timer, so barring speedo accuracy it should give a reasonable idea of 60-100: -

Click for video

Seems to be about 8.5-9 seconds, so allowing for speedo calibration it's probably just sub 10 seconds. That's with a fireblade engine.

Certainly not as quick 60-100 as my 5.0V8 TVR was

ChrisGamlin

posted on 17/12/07 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a couple Ive dug out of the footage Ive got, not particularly clear though unfortunately.

Cadwell Park Straight

Rockingham up onto the banking

Its a bit tricky to see the speedo in every frame (I assume due to some kind of refresh / framerate conflict?) but Ive dimmed the footage until it hits 60 and then dimmed it again when it hits 100 to show the bit Im looking at.

The first one at Cadwell is just under 6s from timing indivudual frames, Im hitting 60 before the corner exit so not accelerating in a straight line which can't help, but its slightly downhill there and I can't remember if I was one or two up so overall probably reasonably representative.

The Rockingham one is just under 7s but that's two up and if anything slightly up hill going onto the banking.

I just want to say that Im trying to cause an argument here chaps, as much as anything Im trying to convince myself that I haven't been mistaken all this time!

cheers
Chris

[Edited on 17/12/07 by ChrisGamlin]

Aico

posted on 17/12/07 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Diff ratio also has a big effect on acceleration. Anyway I've been looking into it a lot and timewise it's not that big of a difference. The only difference now is to feel if the bigger bike engine blows me away above 60. If not then I might as well save me the extra 3-6k Pounds and go for the smaller engine. Thanks for all the help guys. BTW on google video you can also see 2 vids from Sweden. Westfield Busa vs R1.

It's about driving pleasure for me. Does the bigger engine blur my vision and give me a strong feeling in my stomach? If so then I will check if the Blade does the same or not so I can make a decision. If I don't get the same experience then I'll probably spend the extra cash for a bigger engine. I should be getting a ride here in Holland next week in a FJR 1300? Is that the Hayabusa?

To give an example. I've been looking into Elises aswell. Got a ride in a stock 120hp and a B&C 160hp. Torque/push in the back was stronger and the car was faster, but I could still think and see clearly. No stronger feeling in my stomach so then it's not worth the extra 3k Pounds for me.

[Edited on 17/12/07 by Aico]

Crazy Eddie

posted on 18/12/07 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
I would have thought that you will not get a "blown away" feeling from a BEC considering the speeds you are talking.

What made you think you would like a BEC? Biking background or engine sound / power delivery?

I love my Blade powered car but I bought it for the twisty B roads and also Track Days in the UK which it is fantastic fun on. Acceleration out of corners, late braking points and handling characteristics make the BEC perfect for these situations.

However, for playing at the 60 - 100+mph speeds I would have thought that even a standard Scooby would give my car a run for it's money (or embaress me) because that's not what these are for. Also from cars you will have been used to I would even go so far as to say the top speed of the BEC will dissappoint you if that is where you are playing.

So as said what first made you look at a BEC and what would you like your car to offer you?

www.EdwardsSchoolOfMotoring.co.uk
For online shopping that earns you money : Ei42.com

Aico

posted on 18/12/07 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
I want something raw to drive for fun. An open car because it increases the experience. Lightness for respons and less understeer. Cheap for repairs and parts. Maintanence and repairs are expensive for roadcars. Enginerebuild 3k. Chassis/metal damage in the thousands. Kitcars are cheaper and you can do most things yourself. Saves money. The sound of a BEC is also very nice as is the gearbox. I'm not going for top speed, but at most tracks here the speeds are higher. A lot of tracks in The UK are very small/low speed.
gingerprince

posted on 18/12/07 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Cadwell Park Straight

That looks sped-up to me But if it's not I can only assume that you have much shorter diff ratio because that's significantly quicker than my blade, and I've never noticed such a difference against other blades on track.

[Edited on 18/12/07 by gingerprince]

Aico

posted on 18/12/07 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
How about posting eachothers diff ratios here for comparision.
Dangle_kt

posted on 18/12/07 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
You could always go the BEC route and then fit a turbo. The additional rush will kick in where you want it, and will up BHP significantly.

Still not convinced that a 7 is the car you should be looking at though, as getting past the ton is always going to be a struggle (read cost more to upgrade the engine) in a car that looks a little like a brick.

Aico

posted on 18/12/07 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Does TCing take away the experience/noise from the TB's? This is one of the fun factors N/A. How is this TCed?
Coose

posted on 18/12/07 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
I fear an RST-V8 may be your only option....

Spin 'er off Well...

Aico

posted on 18/12/07 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
That's like 20k Pounds
ChrisGamlin

posted on 18/12/07 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince
quote:
Cadwell Park Straight

That looks sped-up to me But if it's not I can only assume that you have much shorter diff ratio because that's significantly quicker than my blade, and I've never noticed such a difference against other blades on track.

[Edited on 18/12/07 by gingerprince]

Its a bit jerky which may give that impression but its certainly not sped up, give me a bit of credit please!

You can see the entire videos that those clips were taken from in my Youtube archive posted several months ago, I think the Cadwell vid is this one at around 7m50s (~600 views and no comments about being sped up ), and the Rockingham one is this one at about 5m40s.

Not convinced diff ratios make a huge amount of difference TBH, in those vids its a 3.54 but Ive also had a 3.89 in the car for a period of time whilst it had the blade engine, and although it felt faster due to more gear changes and less time in each gear, in reality it proved almost identical side by side against a mate's Westie with either diff.

Maybe Ive found the reason though as Ive just noticed all the cars mentioned in this thread with slow 60-100 times are all MK Indys (joking!)

cheers
Chris

[Edited on 18/12/07 by ChrisGamlin]

Toady1

posted on 18/12/07 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aico
The thing is I'm looking for a kitcar for driving pleasure. I'm used to fast cars, around 400hp. So I might not be impressed by the accelerationfeel of a Fireblade.

oh yes you will believe me! Ive had quite a few big hp cars, and now own a 400+bhp r33 gtr aswell as the 954cc blade mk, and i still think the indy will have the skyline to 100!

ChrisGamlin

posted on 18/12/07 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aico
I'm not going for top speed, but at most tracks here the speeds are higher. A lot of tracks in The UK are very small/low speed.

Which circuits would you be going to out of interest? My car has been around Spa several times (including with the blade) which is probably one of the quicker circuits in Europe and although I'd certainly get blown away up the Kemmel straight against something like a 911 GT3 which might have a good 30mph extra speed at the braking point for Les Combes, 125mph is still plenty quick enough and over a lap I don't think there would be a lot between a well driven BEC and a well driven (road spec) GT3.

Aico

posted on 18/12/07 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
My last car was a R32 GTR. The weight didn't do it for me. Powerwise is was ok (370), but not as fast as I would like to have. The speedo rocketed, but there was no blur in my vision. This is what I'm looking for. If I don't get this with a Hayabusa then I will just go for a cheaper engine. As you people say I probably will get overwhelmed by the acceleration of a Fireblade, but so far I couldn't get a ride anywhere. The only reason I'm a bit sceptical about this is because there is no blur in the GTR. Normally you do in such a car. Spa is maybe one of the quicker tracks in the world? The straights are very long. I mainly want to Ring it since it's open so many times a year. You get to see nice cars etc. The thing is I also saw a few vids about a Rush Busa turbo (300) and everything else seemed to be standing still. This contradicts the V8 Westfield against the Megabusa video. www.daxrush.comdax

[Edited on 18/12/07 by Aico]

Jubal

posted on 18/12/07 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
You can't compare a busa turbo with a standard motor. If your local outfits are too useless to sort you out with a proper ride then maybe you should make the effort and get over here? A few euros for the plane would put an end to a lot of speculation.
Dangle_kt

posted on 18/12/07 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
I think you will be hard pushed to get a much quicker car, and if the bec doesn't blur your vision what will you do?

Ok you could go pay silly amount for a ultima, but you pay peanuts....

Why not come over to the UK in spring and arrange a few test drives? Or you could ask nicely on hear - i'm sure if you prmised to say you had blurred vision I'm sure a few on hear would take you for a spin.

Beaten to it!!

[Edited on 18/12/07 by Dangle_kt]

zxrlocost

posted on 18/12/07 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
I would end that speculation within first gear we have a demo car your welcome anytime to see if you like

Ill even turn the nitrous oxide on if I dont scare you

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 18/12/07 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine has a ~300bhp busa turbo and it is unsuprisingly no comparison in a straight line, last time I actually went out in it, it was on a low boost setting of around 250bhp and it was still a league quicker than any other BEC (or car full stop) I've been in

kastrato

posted on 19/12/07 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
I am wondering if anything can be done to improve aerodynamics of a seven?

MK INDY fireblade

Crazy Eddie

posted on 19/12/07 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost
I would end that speculation within first gear we have a demo car your welcome anytime to see if you like

Ill even turn the nitrous oxide on if I dont scare you

Is that open to anyone?

www.EdwardsSchoolOfMotoring.co.uk
For online shopping that earns you money : Ei42.com

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.