Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: [Project] Volvo powered MK
Benzine

posted on 10/7/08 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've now shortened the handbrake lever, done loads more bodywork stuff, got the clutch connected, brake lines connected.

I just need to work out the fuel system, all the sensors and connections for megasquirt etc. Also lots of piping/hosing for rad & intercooler.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alistairolsen

posted on 10/7/08 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
neeed pics!!!

awesome car

Benzine

posted on 15/7/08 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Help identifying stuff

Okay, I've done a fair amount of work this week on the car. Now I need to figure out my plumbing etc. I wont' be using a heater so I need to know which pipes I need and which I can blank off etc.

As I didn't have the donor car, I couldn't see how all these parts went together...

This plastic thing is on the side of the engine, I don't know what it even does, something to do with oil, breather type thing? ^__^

Water outlet (or is it an inlet? ) that the pipe in the next picture after this one connects to

Pipes pipes pipes. B is where is exits the water pump. If I'm not using a heater/header tank (new rad has cap on and large capacity) then can I just go from B (water pump) to C (radiator)

Fuel rail. I'm guessing A in fuel in, B is fuel return but what is C?

[Edited on 15/7/08 by Benzine]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_claydon

posted on 19/7/08 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Picture 1 is the oil separator for the crankcase breathing system. B is a hose from the rocker cover, A is the vent which would connect (eventually) to the inlet, although mine is vented to free air. D is the drain back to the sump, not sure about C but it just goes into the block. C and D will need new rubber seals I expect.

The water stuff I can't help a lot with as mine has a turbo in place of those pipes. C would be the rad bottom hose I think.

You're right on the rail, C is a bleed valve if it's the same as mine - looks just like a tyre inflation valve. Ignore it.

Benzine

posted on 19/7/08 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info. I can't see any kind of outlet from the rocker cover

"although mine is vented to free air" do you have an oil breather on that part like this:

matt_claydon

posted on 19/7/08 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Will try to get a pic for you.

I haven't got one of those breather filters, never sure whether they are necessary or just bling!

Benzine

posted on 19/7/08 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Cool. Thanks for the fuel pump info too
matt_claydon

posted on 19/7/08 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Here's the pipe. After it goes under the spark plug cover it disappears vertically downwards into the rocker cover.

Volvo breather pipe
Volvo breather pipe

Benzine

posted on 19/7/08 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh, there's no such thing on my engine. Thanks anyway
matt_claydon

posted on 24/7/08 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Just been working on mine and noticed that little hose connection in your second pic. Mine is open just as in your pic and nothing leaks in or out so I'd guess it's some kind of bleed nipple.

ATB,
Matt.

Volvorsport

posted on 25/7/08 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
that is teh oil breather/seperator , youd be advised to get a much bigger one externally and plumb it in to vent to atmosphere , windage is an issue in these engines , just replicate that but much bigger , vent to atmosphere from the top .

the water line (theres quite a few to choose from) to the back (heater hose) can be blocked off . the big pipe is lower rad pipe , the thermostat housing has teh upper rad pipe . i dont think the expansion tank comes from those pipes , but on the thermostat cover .

i might just edit that aswell !!

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Benzine

posted on 26/7/08 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Just noticed that there's another pipe coming from the water pump area, no idea what that does T_T
Stuart_B

posted on 31/12/08 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
any update's on the project, or have you stopped for christmas?

stuart

Benzine

posted on 5/1/09 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Stuart, since last time I posted on this project thread I've got the engine coolant system all rigged up, all the wiring done, fuel system done and it started. Recently I've got the exhaust system made so now it's a case of bodywork and mapping/fiddling with the engine. I'll try and get round to posting some pics soon

[Edited on 5/1/09 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.