Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: creating a new Mid-engined website and forum
Spyderman

posted on 8/1/04 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a little play and although interesting I can't see how it will benefit the forum!
Perhaps it's just me being dense!

Terry

Spyderman

bob

posted on 8/1/04 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Paterson
Bob, u looking ahead to your NEXT project by any chance
Shug.

SHUG

New project,well you never know.

Mix

posted on 27/1/04 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Found while researching WIKIS

Posted by JoelP

in my opinion, forums are more useful if they have more people on them, assuming there are no tossers on them, which there arent here!

I resemble that remark

Mick

JoelP

posted on 27/1/04 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
i do apologuise mix, one tosser is always welcome. but thats me, so maybe we can stretch armstrong it to 2!?!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

violentblue

posted on 22/1/05 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Just had to bring this up again.
as part of my job I've set up about 20 of these bullitin boards, as well I've just got my second server up and going so to throw annother forum up would be super easy.
But Steve Grabber has got a forum set up on his page too.

so would this be just redundant or is there a real desire/need for a dedicated 1 off (or prototype) mid-engined forum?

a few pics of my other projects

robinbastd

posted on 22/1/05 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
This little corner of locostbuilders has already established itself as the best part of the best car building forum on the internet.
There's a huge pool of information already on here that would take a long time to amass on a dedicated site. We can pick the brains of hugely experienced people (I'm thinking of Mark Allanson and the welding advice he gives as an example) who help because we are all part of locostbuilders,not because we are middybuilders
Good of you to offer,but IMHO it might not be everythingyou/we would want it to be.
I hope I haven't caused any offence,
Ian

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

violentblue

posted on 22/1/05 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
no offence, I had offered some time ago, but never got a clear answer. Im in a better position to actually create something worthwile now, and wanted to see if the need and/or desire was out there.

yes this is the best site I've come across for the pool of resource it is, but theres still a number of issues I'd like to deal with, but maybe I';ll have to build a site to amass this info rather than a forum.

a few pics of my other projects

RallyHarry

posted on 24/1/05 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
This forum is fantastic as it is, but an area within locostbuilders for more extensive tech info would be welcome.

I'd be happy to give suggestions of topics, being in the startup stage myself.

Cheers

sgraber

posted on 24/1/05 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
This forum is far and away the best resource of its kind available anywhere. It's due to the critical mass of quality builders sharing information.

Adding a "technical resources section" in the form of a Wiki, or whatever, would streamline the search process for accessing the data that is already available on the site and has typically been posted multiple times.

I need to do some ali annealing for my diffuser. I did a website search and found a number of posts with no useful information at all. But one from Gusterson stating that he had already posted the information multiple times in the past. Well that wasn't directly the info, but a pointer to the info, so I did a search for Gusterson, Soap and Annealing. Finally found the info. The information is in there, it just needs to be better organized...

But I haven't said anything new now have I...

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wheelsinsteadofhooves

posted on 24/1/05 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
hi - to put in my two ha'pennies i agreee that this forum is hard to beat in terms of overall technical content, its just near impossible to find sometimes. ive had many google searches return threads from here - everything from audi transaxles to setting up carbs to ideas/designs for pedal boxes. im tinkering with both a home-build front engined and a (semi home built) middie so my searches tend to be varied, and both subjects lead me here more often than not.
its the indexing and retrieval of the info thats a bit difficult. often past posts are referred to, but with hundreds of threads under each subject, and a listing that only allows incremental steps, and goes back to the beginning with one wrong move (yes i know it can be configured differently but the same issues arise), finding what your after is not always easy. a search or something (within the forum) might help, but im sure there are better solutions.
it seems a real waste of worldwide expertise, often ammassed through bood sweat and tears, that it is lost so quickly. surely it would be of benefit to the entire car building community (and motorcycles/restorators etc) if a "knowledge database" were set-up, either as an annex to this forum or at least collecting the knowledge of such a group of creative minds.

sorry to keep rambling, have been mulling it over for some time and stumbled accross this, which set the cogs in motion again.

atb,
zane

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.