Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Heater pipes on engine
speedyxjs

posted on 6/11/08 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Heater pipes on engine

What do you do with the heater pipes coming off the engine that arent going to be used?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

maartenromijn

posted on 6/11/08 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
I have no experience with this, but I would just close them or loop them and place a restrictor in the pipes.

The coolant will flow where the resistance is lowest, I think when you loop them without restrictor, the coolant will just be pumped around, leaving you with less cooling capacity.

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/11/08 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
simply run the hose as normal missing out the heater matix if the hose is also being used to heat the manifold or plug the hose at the water pump with a bit off steel or copper (big bolt would do)

going to freeze your butt off in a cold car are you?? my buggy has no heater (will do sorted next year) and it gets damn cold I can tell you

[Edited on 6/11/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega0684

posted on 6/11/08 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
block it off or join it into the coolant system
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 6/11/08 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
going to freeze your butt off in a cold car are you?? my buggy has no heater (will do sorted next year) and it gets damn cold I can tell you

Due to my attempt to finish before IVA comes in (is it April?), and the fack there is less to test with no screen, i am going to SVA (hopefully) with just an aeroscreen and worry about a screen and everything after.

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/11/08 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
quote:

Due to my attempt to finish before IVA comes in (is it April?), and the fack there is less to test with no screen, i am going to SVA (hopefully) with just an aeroscreen and worry about a screen and everything after.

makes sence

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

speedyxjs

posted on 6/11/08 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
quote:

makes sence

Doesnt happen very often with me

omega0684

posted on 6/11/08 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
from looking at your pictures are you planning on putting that straight 6 jag engine in your locost ?
speedyxjs

posted on 6/11/08 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Not planning, have done. If i remember i will post a build update tonight

mark chandler

posted on 6/11/08 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Jaguars have a vacumn operated valve in the heating system just in front of the bulkhead that closes off the heater rad when a/c is on full chat rather than more basic cars that just use a flap. Its all part of using the heater/cooler to dehumidify the car. So you can just blank off without any worries.

Regards Mark

ballcock

posted on 9/11/08 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
You could loop them and fit an adjustable valve inline which would allow you to have some flow if necessary and save pulling it all back apart if a total blank caused problems.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.