Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: For anybody with a Sky+ box
Jasper

posted on 7/11/08 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
For anybody with a Sky+ box

Humax have now announced a FreeSat HD box with built in 320Gb HDD, which basically means you can unplug your Sky+ box and plug this straight in and get all the free to air channels including the High Def ones from the BBC and ITV with all the functionality of the Sky+ box.

I currently pay around £36 a month to Sky and this box will be £299 when it gets launched later this month - so it'll pay for itself in about 9 months. I can't wait to get rid of that subscription.

And combined with Popcorn Hour that allows me to play anything including HD video files from my PC to my plasma it's a MUCH better bet IMO.

Here's the full spec:

Dear Humax User
I am pleased to announce that in the next few weeks we will be launching our FOXSAT-HDR digital Freesat+ recorder.
This product continues our fine tradition of high quality, market leading terrestrial Freeview recorders (recorders that receive the broadcast signal over a TV aerial) the PVR9200 series and PVR9300 series, only this time for the Freesat satellite service (receives its broadcast signal through a satellite dish).
The unit will be available from the major retailers by the the end of November, and is bursting with Freesat+ recording features to capture the incredible colour, sound and crystal clear images of the BBC HD (High Definition) channel and ITV HD red button service.
When launched, the high specification, twin tuner Humax FOXSAT-HDR will be the only way to pause, rewind and record Freesat HD digital TV programmes, as well as accessing an expanding choice of standard definition TV, radio and interactive channels.
The FOXSAT-HDR guarantees a whole host of advanced recording features for the Freesat+ digital satellite service:
• Series recording - to automatically record all the episodes of your favourite shows
• Radio recording - never miss your favourite radio shows by recording individual shows, or even a whole series
• Live pause and instant rewind - in case you need to answer the phone or replay that crucial scene
• Schedule tracking - start and finish recordings on time, even when broadcasters change their schedule
• Split recordings - record two-part programmes & films which may have a break in the middle for news bulletins
The 320GB hard drive stores approximately 60 hours of HD programming, or up to 200 hours of SD (Standard Definition) shows, while the eight day on-screen electronic programme guide makes it easy to scan the Freesat TV schedule and plan your viewing. Also since the FOXSAT-HDR comes with two digital tuners, two Freesat channels can be recorded at the same time, so you never need miss a thing. And with HD highlights including Strictly Come Dancing, Uefa Champions League, England home games, and the FA Cup, there's plenty you won't want to miss.
Other features of the FOXSAT-HDR include:
• Advanced digital text and interactive services
• HDMI slot for transmission of amazing high definition pictures and surround sound audio to an HD-ready TV
• Low power consumption less than 1watt in standby and an automatic standby function triggered by inactivity
• Parental controls access codes prevent children watching inappropriate content
• Audio description services for the blind or visually impaired and one-touch subtitles
• Two scart sockets for connecting other equipment such as a DVD recorder
• Dolby digital audio output
• Connecting leads and controls including HDMI cable, scart cable, and remote control
As already mentioned the FOXSAT-HDR will be available to buy from UK retailers from the last week in November 2008, and will be priced at around £299 (satellite installation not included). For more information, please visit www.humaxdigital.com/freesat as we will be uploading full details of the specification within the next week to 10 days.
While in writing I thought I would send you details of a couple of our current Freeview and Freesat product offers available from our website at www.humaxdirect.co.uk (or click the individual product links below to access directly).
Exclusive offers for registered Humax Users

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

JoelP

posted on 7/11/08 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
surely you'd lose all the sky subscription channels?
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 7/11/08 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/prodCat2.asp?cat=Factory

Jasper

posted on 7/11/08 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, you would, if you're really into your sport then stick with Sky, if it's for movies then I'd rather watch them in HD now anyway and get them 'elsewhere'.

I get Sky+ for the functionality - recording etc - not for the premium channels.....

dave1888

posted on 7/11/08 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
So would i get all the basic channels i pay £17 per month to sky for with this new fangle thing.

SeaBass

posted on 7/11/08 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'm thinking why not spend a little more and build a media PC is Freesat HD card installed. Better functionality at the end of the day.
iank

posted on 7/11/08 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave1888
So would i get all the basic channels i pay £17 per month to sky for with this new fangle thing.

This is what you currently get on FreeSat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_channels_on_Freesat

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

scootz

posted on 7/11/08 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
The only reason I stick with Sky is for the Footie!
Benzine

posted on 7/11/08 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
why have any kind of TV when there is the interwebs?

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 7/11/08 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ive just been to B&Q to get a flaring tool.

They have full freesat kit in a box on offer £40. And because I spent over £50 with the tool I got 15% discount.

So the full freesat kit cost me £34

Yes thats right they wanted more for a bog standard arial and brackets for the tv.

Will let you know if its any cop

I have been with sky for years, They wanted £100 for the + box £60 instalation and then another £10 p/month for the multi room. They wouldnt budge either

David Jenkins

posted on 7/11/08 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
I used to pay around £20 / month for Sky... and for most of the time we didn't watch it because it was all repeats.

Now I have a Humax Freesat box which cost me around £100... and now I get (some) HD transmissions that I didn't get before from Sky, plus a few extra channels over and above what you get on Freeview. Mind you - I still don't watch it a lot due to repeats, but at least I'm not paying through the nose for the privilege!

BTW: If you've got a Sky digital dish and it works, then it'll work for Freesat.

Jasper

posted on 7/11/08 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
I'm thinking why not spend a little more and build a media PC is Freesat HD card installed. Better functionality at the end of the day.

Cos a little more would be about £1000+ and I need my wife and kid to be able to use to .....

stevebubs

posted on 8/11/08 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
For those of you who have Sky+ and want to stay with it (for sports or whatever) but want the HD channels without paying an arm and a leg to Sky, check the LNB on your dish - you may well find 2 spare ports. If so, you just need to run a pair of cables to your lounge and you can enjoy the Freesat HD & keep your SD Sky+ box....

When the price of the Sky HD box drops right down, you can then relocated the Freesat one to another room....

dubstar_04

posted on 8/11/08 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
I don't need to say anymore than this:

http://www.mythbuntu.org/

Danozeman

posted on 8/11/08 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
If you get a box with a cam slot (card) then you can get a cards of ebay to unlock the sky stuff. Theyr not cheap but work! Viper and something else i think are the main ones.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Jasper

posted on 8/11/08 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dubstar_04
I don't need to say anymore than this:

http://www.mythbuntu.org/

I'm sure it's wonderful - but you wont get a whole family being able to use it..... I have enough trouble getting Popcorn Hour to work seemlessly.

MikeRJ

posted on 8/11/08 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
I'm paying £27 per month for Sky with all the entertainment channels, broadband and free UK calls. I honestly think it's pretty good value for money, but if they dropped the broadband I would think about moving.

AFAIK none of the freesat packages let you view Dave either, which is one of the channels I tend to watch.

Jasper

posted on 8/11/08 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Tis a good deal, but as you say, without the broadband it's not so good.

And Dave is on Freeview anyway, so you can still get it for free...

rgr33n

posted on 8/11/08 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Ive just been to B&Q to get a flaring tool.

They have full freesat kit in a box on offer £40. And because I spent over £50 with the tool I got 15% discount.

So the full freesat kit cost me £34

Yes thats right they wanted more for a bog standard arial and brackets for the tv.

Will let you know if its any cop

I have been with sky for years, They wanted £100 for the + box £60 instalation and then another £10 p/month for the multi room. They wouldnt budge either

same here, but i installed it myself and bought the box from an engineer for £50. kept the old single lnb feed box in the same room (i put a quad on the dish) and now both boxes feed all round the house. didn't bother with a multi room subscription though

rgr33n

posted on 8/11/08 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
For those of you who have Sky+ and want to stay with it (for sports or whatever) but want the HD channels without paying an arm and a leg to Sky, check the LNB on your dish - you may well find 2 spare ports. If so, you just need to run a pair of cables to your lounge and you can enjoy the Freesat HD & keep your SD Sky+ box....

When the price of the Sky HD box drops right down, you can then relocated the Freesat one to another room....

...and even if there aren't any spare sockets on the lnb, you can buy a quad from ebay for around £12 i think

Jasper

posted on 21/11/08 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Well - just ordered mine from Comet - and more importantly FINALLY been able to tell Sky to close my account.

Man - they don't like you cancelling, do they? She tried to convince me that £42 a month and £99 for the box was a good deal, when I can get almost the same for a one off price of £299. In the end I had to tell her to just stop talking and cancel it, she just wouldn't shut up!!

Now to run a regular aerial lead down from from roof for the freeview signal so I can still watch Dave as it's not on FreeSat yet.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.