Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: digital SLR camera
locoboy

posted on 11/11/08 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
digital SLR camera

Guys,
I was at a wedding on Sunday and one of my mates who was also there brought his digital SLR with him.

Im a big fan of the traditional 35mm SLR but its timei went digital with one. My current 35mm cannon EOS ic currently worth about £30 according to ebay prices so selling it to part fund the digital SLR is a bit pointless!

My mate has a Nikon D80 and it was fantastic, he took over 400 pictures and the battery was still going strong, and the speed at which it focussed and fired off the shot was almost 35mm like, no waiting and waiting until the bridesmaid had managed to put her boobs back in the dress

Can anyone offer any details of comparable cameras to the nikon D80? or even a best buy for that kind of camera?

many thanks
Colin

ATB
Locoboy

82 Locost

posted on 11/11/08 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
The Canon digital series will be able to use all your EF lenses. I'm going for the bottom of the range 1000D which has great reviews and comes with a lens for around £320. I tried one in Curry's at the weekend asnd was really impressed with it. If you take an SD card with you you'll be able to take some test shots home with you too!

Because the sensor is smaller than the 35mm film previously used, you have to apply a 1.6 conversion factor to your lenses, so my 70-210 is actually a 110-330 or so.

[Edited on 11/11/08 by 82 Locost]

nick205

posted on 11/11/08 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
All sounds great!

Any piccies of this bridesmaid then?

bilbo

posted on 11/11/08 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, second vote for Canon. I bought the bottom of the range digital SLR from them (350D as it was then - I guess the 1000D is the modern equivalent?) and I've been very happy with it. I'd be hard pushed to warrant spending any more money on the more advanced models as it does just about anything I'd ever want - including that rapid continuous shooting
And as said, all your Canon kit, lenses etc will fit.

[Edited on 11/11/08 by bilbo]

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

Agriv8

posted on 11/11/08 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
I am hoping for a donation to my Nikon D90 from santa. ( like a D80 but full size cmos size cmos sensor ) .

I would agree about using you current lenses if possible .

Though I would not buy from them ( too pricey ) might be worth a trip to your nearest Jesops and have a chat.

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

bilbo

posted on 11/11/08 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
I am hoping for a donation to my Nikon D90 from santa. ( like a D80 but full size cmos size cmos sensor ) .

I would agree about using you current lenses if possible .

Though I would not buy from them ( too pricey ) might be worth a trip to your nearest Jesops and have a chat.

regards

Agriv8

Yep, I shopped around for a good price and actually ended up with a bundled deal from Jessops including a 300mm lense. May also be worth looking at places like Ebuyer.

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

82 Locost

posted on 11/11/08 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
There are also £30 cash back offers on Canon digitals at the mo too. I'm getting mine at Heathrow Tax Free (£300 with £30 back).
takumi

posted on 11/11/08 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Id rate the Nikons/Canon simple because the lenses are cheaper to buy.

I have a Pentax K10D, fab camera, really feels solid compared to the 350/400/450d which really feel plasticy and toy'ish.

Another good feature you cant knock.. is the Pentax anti-shake CCD stabiliser, works with any lens. The new Sony A200/300 and Olympus dSlrs have similar ccd anti shake.

Even the older K100d (6mp) has the anti shake, and takes fab pics, you can probably get these on fleabay for £140 maybe

RobinHood 2B 2.0i pinto, Keihin 38mm Carbs, lightened flywheel, O'Mori remote filter kit, 10 row oil cooler. Modified head, 10.2cr, special valves FR22 cam, 4- 1 header.

takumi

posted on 11/11/08 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to catch a bargain dSlr,

keep an eye here,

Its Jessops ex-display stock shop on eBay.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Clear-R-Gear-Shop

and if you want a Canon, heres their factory outlet for recon models..

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Canon-Outlet_Canon-EO S-SLR-Cameras_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ3QQftidZ2QQtZkm

have fun.!

RobinHood 2B 2.0i pinto, Keihin 38mm Carbs, lightened flywheel, O'Mori remote filter kit, 10 row oil cooler. Modified head, 10.2cr, special valves FR22 cam, 4- 1 header.

andybod

posted on 11/11/08 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
i can reccomend the d80 i took mine with to nurburgring in aug and took about 1100 pictures on one battery easy to use even to a complete numpty like me as for lenses it came with the kit 18-105 my dad gave me a 70-300 non vr and i brought a sigma 55-200again non vr paid about £35 off egay and is a great lense to the d80 will drop in price now the d90 has been realised
Benzine

posted on 11/11/08 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
I has nikon D80. pwns

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locoboy

posted on 11/11/08 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
pwns?

ATB
Locoboy

JohnN

posted on 11/11/08 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Agriv8, the D90 isn't a full frame sensor, that's the D700 and the D3
BenB

posted on 11/11/08 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Good point re the sensor not being full size. I'm just beginning to look into digital SLRs . I love my old film SLR but the price of film isn't so nice!!! Middle wallop full size sensor for me.....
blakep82

posted on 11/11/08 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoboy
pwns?

pwns=owns=is better than

another one of the online gamig words that spread, just like teh, instead of the

anyways, tell me more about this bridemaid's jugs

[Edited on 11/11/08 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

lotustwincam

posted on 11/11/08 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Digital Photography Review
martyn_16v

posted on 11/11/08 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I've currently got 5 D70, 1 D70s, 3 D80, 2 D200 and a D2Hs in the cupboard. I win

To be honest there's very little to choose between Canon and Nikon. If you've got Canon lenses then buy a Canon, simple as.

chrisg

posted on 11/11/08 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've just bought a D3.

It's fantastic, I had a D50, a D80 and a D700 but the D3 is another level.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

02GF74

posted on 12/11/08 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
I cannot recommend a DSLR since I donlt have one but am currenlty holding out for a full frame - it would be Canon 5 D .... but they've brought out the 5 D mkII whcih has more pixies and has live view screen, a bit like the pocket camers. Downside is it costs a shed load of £££ so maybe next year. I like the idea of being able to use film SLR lenses so that makes that part cheaper. Just wish I had bought a Canon SLR instead of Yasjicas (who?).

Sony are about to bring out a full frame DSLR (sony being minolta) that will serioulsy worry the oppostition regarding price/performance.

jos

posted on 12/11/08 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Ive recently bought a Canon EOS450D. I was going to get a D80 or a second hand D200 as all of my family have Nikons but the only real reason for them sticking with Nikon is all their existing gear is Nikon and they dont want to have to replace any of it.

As I was starting out from scratch it was up to me. What swung it for me was 2 things. 1) When you look at 3 images taken on the same day at the same time with a 450D D80 and D200 and blow them up you will notice alot more "noise" in the Nikon images than in the 450D. 2) the ammount of kit you can get with a Canon package is massive compared to the Nikon plus you can get more morey back as an added bonus.

I'll pop round with my 450D if you like. It wont be this week though.

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

Agriv8

posted on 12/11/08 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnN
Agriv8, the D90 isn't a full frame sensor, that's the D700 and the D3

apologies you are completly right i had been comparing the D90 to the D300 ( which I had wrongly assumed to be Full Size cmos )

Regrads

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

MikeR

posted on 12/11/08 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
i've got a 450d.

spent ages wondering what to get. I do like it but wish i'd spent a few more £ and got something FAR more expensive. Why ...... cause i love taking photos. The 450 was a fantastic step up from my old camera, now i want even better.

(reality check, i need to learn how to take photos with what i've got before i upgrade).

I do like the canon and its got good reviews. A friend loves his nikon d80. He believes Nikon do better lens than Canon. I've seen no proof of this - but having canon i've not looked at nikon lens.

What swung it for me was the price point and hte fact the 300, 350 & 400 have all been the most popular camera in class therefore there is lots of kit (and second hand kit) for them + lots of people who know how to use them.

If you don't want to spend a lot and have some fun, look at a nikon d40, its a good camera, just a bit old so newer cameras have a lot more features.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.