Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Casting Lost Wax
Jeffers_S13

posted on 19/11/08 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Casting Lost Wax

I need to make an inlet manifold for a supercharger. Its a twin screw charger each screw is about 4" diameter, obviously they overlap (by about 3/4" ) so the mating flange is approx the size of two overlapping 4" circles.

The air will come from the front of the car through a single 4" diameter pipe, through 180 degrees and blend into the back of the SC, so into the two overlapping 4" shaped flange.

Suitably tight bends are not available. So I considered mitred bends, which is LOTS of welding and it wont look particularly nice. Also it wont be great for flow.

Assuming I provide a 3D CAD model of the component I want Id like it cast or CNC'd, it will have wall thickness of around 3mm.

Does anyone have any idea of the cost for something like this ?! or any firms that could help me. This will be a one-off so I know its going to be expensive.

Im assuming the firm will make a wax model of the part then they can cast each half and I can get it welded together and then machined on the mating face where it joins to the SC. The open end will just have a large hose joiner pushed onto it to connect it to the pipework running to the air filter. There are very few tight tolerances to meet, as the mating flange will be machined flat and bolt holes drilled after the casting and welding process.

Im fairly sure on scales like this CNC and casting are similar costs.

Thanks

James

[Edited on 19/11/08 by Jeffers_S13]

Build pics : http://tinyurl.com/fuyh6

yamapinto

posted on 19/11/08 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Inlet manifold

Have you thought of looking for a company that can do 3D printing they can print in 3D the actual shape with mating faces fastening holes and everything they will bake it and you can use it stright off the process is common for one offs. Mercedes use this technology quite a bit you may find a company near you that can do it look up 3D printing on the net it is quite impressive
flak monkey

posted on 19/11/08 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
You are probably looking in the region of a grand, if not more to have it cast.

We had a great machine at uni which basically made rapid prototyped sand moulds (using resin sand cured with a laser) for conventional casting. We had a small plenum chamber (approx 2 litre volume) and 4 simple runners made from ali using that process and if we had paid it would have been about £1800.

There are all sorts of rapid manufacturing techniques available now, I would contact one of the companies, or even someone like Warick Manufacturing Group and ask if they can help out. They are usually pretty approachable.

David

Edited to say, just realised you are in Cov! Pop down to warwick uni and go into the WMG building and ask. Worst they will say is they cant help you. Having said that the head technician in the workshops is very helpful

[Edited on 19/11/08 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Simon

posted on 19/11/08 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
We do lost wax for the art world, but I reckon This could be the sort of company you're looking for.

ATB

Simon

Peteff

posted on 19/11/08 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Do it yourself Back yard foundry Get saving beer cans and old water pump casings and recycle them into something useful.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Jeffers_S13

posted on 20/11/08 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the responses guys.

Might try and contact them. WMG sound like the most promising (read cheapest) I didnt expect they'd be open to small, private, one-off jobs like mine. I read recently that they are actually moving to a brand new site next to Rolls which is literally about 1 field away from my house !

I've spent a lot of time reading the foundry site in the past and been very tempted to give it a go. An older friend of mine actually does some foundry stuff, hes made a few mandrels for his pipe bender but without being nasty to him the cast ali always looks a bit porous and I only want a 3-4mm wall thickness, Im not convinced we could achieve a satisfactory result with his gear/technique.

[Edited on 20/11/08 by Jeffers_S13]

Syd Bridge

posted on 20/11/08 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Firstly, you'll have problems casting 3mm thick walls on something that size. Most foundries will shy away from something that thin.Try 5 mm.

The only way to get thin walls without gas inclusions or full holes, is to vacuum cast it. Cosworth hold the gear for that.

Next, why don't you make a mould and laminate the thing out of high temp resin? I do this sort of thing regularly for a USA customer, who supercharges yank limos.

Cheers,
Syd.
Edit: And my work is backed up into next year, before you ask.

[Edited on 20/11/08 by Syd Bridge]

Jeffers_S13

posted on 20/11/08 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah 3mm is the ideal 5mm would be OK Id think, its just a bit heavier.

Do you think I could achieve a decent result, it being my first go ?

Ive looked at pics online of parts made using lost foam, they look OK, but I suspect the maker had several years under his belt.

The part I want to make I would say isnt the ideal first part to try out my skills !

Do you have any pics for inspiration ?

James

iank

posted on 20/11/08 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeffers_S13
Yeah 3mm is the ideal 5mm would be OK Id think, its just a bit heavier.

Do you think I could achieve a decent result, it being my first go ?

Ive looked at pics online of parts made using lost foam, they look OK, but I suspect the maker had several years under his belt.

The part I want to make I would say isnt the ideal first part to try out my skills !

Do you have any pics for inspiration ?

James

Make it from composite as Syd suggests. Worst case you'll have something to use for making the mould for a casting.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

02GF74

posted on 20/11/08 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^ wot they say. Unless I misunderstood, I see no reason why you need to use metal.

The inlet manifold to the charger sees air at atmispheric pressure and normal termperaturs since the manifold sits before the 'charger. Nothing too taxing for GRP composite I'd have thought.

Jeffers_S13

posted on 20/11/08 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Only reason I choose ali is that its more familiar to me.

Will the general look of the material stay good, being in close proximity to the heat or will it look tatty after a while. I've seen many CF bonnets that look very tatty as the laquer peels and goes yellow from being directly above the exhaust.

It'll be very close to the exhaust headers, it will run along the side of them and then at the back be close to the secondaries as they run down the front of the bulkhead.

Im aware there is skill and experience needed to make a good job of GRP. I have no experience in using it. I dont want to spend hours making something that looks like a pigs ear or spend even more time having 2 or 3 goes at trying to get it right and then making do with something that looks like a DIY home effort. Ive seen lots of odd bits and bobs at shows made by people that surely started out with good intentions but ended up with a nasty looking rippled and generally poor finish.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.