Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wilwwod Brakes
coozer

posted on 30/11/08 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Wilwwod Brakes

on a Sierra upright. Easy to attach? What is needed in the way of a caliper carrier?

And, anyone using them and how much better than the standard Ford items??

Ta,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

MkII

posted on 30/11/08 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
not wanting to hijack your thread but why have you gone for wilwood over hi spec or compbrake. im only asking as alloy calipers are on my winter upgrade list also
imp paul

posted on 30/11/08 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
willwood are a good price and a good choice seem good all rounder
mcerd1

posted on 30/11/08 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Rally design sell the wilwoods with brackets for sierra uprights - loads of people are using them (I'm thinking about a set for post SVA/IVA)
procomp

posted on 30/11/08 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi currently running three cars with them fitted.

Attachment is easy as they come with all brackets and bolts. Don'T go for the Smart - Polly range of pads as they are not of a suitable material unless full race. Even then not that good. They now do Mintex pads to fit. They work far better.

Why the willwood. Good service good quality product.

Hi Spec. Poor service not always suppling the right goods for the aplication. Trying to get money back or product changed to items that actualy fit is nye on impossible.

Compbrake. Cheap but you get what you pay for.

Any of the upgraded brakes will not necessarily provide better breaking performance. They will however be lighter. Be careful when ordering to get right bore size pistons to be compatible with your master cyl sizes.

Cheers Matt.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 30/11/08 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkII
not wanting to hijack your thread but why have you gone for wilwood over hi spec or compbrake. im only asking as alloy calipers are on my winter upgrade list also

Wilwood are cheaper than Hi Spec... never heard of Compbrake.

Thanks for the advice Matt, didn't know they had to match the master cylinder! My Sierra brakes feel 'wooden' out on the track, need a hefty shove to retard. Just looking for a lighter setup that may improve turn in and a sharper reaction to the middle pedal.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

simoto

posted on 30/11/08 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
My set have arrived in the last few days from rally design.
I'm really pleased with the fit on my car and the general quality of manufacture.
I got the cheaper powerlites and sadly the smart pads(doh) as i obviously didnt research that one properly.
As i say though the calipers and fit are outstanding, one small issue involving my disks being slightly oversize in diameter(depends on disk manufacturer seemingly) requireing a slight spacing of carrier and caliper.
The only thing stopping the wheel spinning freely is a slight contact between the rear of disks and back pads, removal of the powder coating between the carrier and my new uprights would sort this i'm sure as its only slight.
I was warned off other makers but no specific reasons, also rally design are a trustworthy and reliable outfit imo.
Good luck. Si

skippad

posted on 30/11/08 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve
Fitted powerlites to me MK earlier this year, instead of smartpads (which i was told not ideal) i went for Mintex 1144's....
brakes were v.good before (sierra), now they're just phenomenal. plenty of bite, no fade, pulls up in half the space...well worth it. Can be fitted 1 1/2 hours.
Dave

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
procomp

posted on 30/11/08 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi hicost

All three drivers of ours using them said it was a night and day difference. Better feel and best of all no more squealing brakes.

But There is one issue i forgot to mention. The smart and polly pads have a thin backing plate to them. The Mintex have a thicker more STD thickness backing plate. End result is that the Mintex have less pad material thickness. I will when i have a minute measure the difference but it is no more than 3mm from memory.

Cheers Matt

Ps The cheapest place for the mintex is RD. £54 ish from memory.

skippad

posted on 30/11/08 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Think i paid £44 for pads, from Rally Design, same time i bought the wilwoods.
skippad

posted on 30/11/08 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
As Paul just said, fit in a treat.
I forgot to mention that they do sqeal a bit more, and also u might have to lengthen your braided hoses.

repper

posted on 30/11/08 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
all so looking at calipers for the front off my car and that will see the brakes finished
i sent hispec an email asking for a price on the 4 pot uni calipers and a set off spacers to fit the focus st170 disc 300 x 24 mm on a 2wd cosworth hub
got a right snoty repliy saying thay dont do direct replacements ???
so sod them ill spend my cash with so one ho wants it

tomblyth

posted on 30/11/08 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
hi spec have dust seals wilwoods dont unless you buy the very expensive ones!
adithorp

posted on 1/12/08 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I used the RD kit for Sierra hubs. I had a tiny bit milled of the bracket to get perfect alignment. They would fit without but were offset by about 1mm.

Does anybody know the part number for the Mintex pads?

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.