Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Quite a few questions regarding legal requirements!!!
Z20let Corsa

posted on 3/12/08 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Quite a few questions regarding legal requirements!!!

right. in the early stages of my build still but trying to find out all the details so i know whats what when the time comes. 1st of all lights. aslong at theyre e marked theyre ok yeah?? 2nd mirrors. i plan on using bike morrors with built in indicators. aslong as theyre not sticking out more than the rear wheels im ok yeah?? and also do i need reflectors on the back along with lights/stop lights, indicators and a fog and a reverse lamp?? and whats the crack with a roll cage. im planning on putting the rollbar on the back like most do and want bars across the 'roof' and down the sides of the screen. will this be ok as im guessing itll make it kinda tricky to get in and out?? ive seen cars like this before but was just wondering. And can i use perspex for the screen or does it have to be glass??? and what type of switches do i need to use for all controls such as hazards etc.?? ive got loads more questions but will save them for later. Anyone got a link to a full sva checklist so i can carry out my own sva before i go?? like light min and max heights etc?? thanks.

[Edited on 3/12/08 by Z20let Corsa]

locost +4 v8 in progress.

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/12/08 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
All yes

except for

Must be glass unless its very low and you can see over it, best to use savage switches, bike mirrors should be E-marked too. Mount them on the roll bar front pillars

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Z20let Corsa

posted on 3/12/08 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
cool. like i say does anyone have a list of requirements for the test so i can go over everything?? i dont want to make stuff to find itll fail the test on it!!! Thanks.

simoto

posted on 3/12/08 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Diagrams detailing light position requirements can be found on the westfield world site along with other useful sva data.
good luck.

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/12/08 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simoto
Diagrams detailing light position requirements can be found on the westfield world site along with other useful sva data.
good luck.

this - linky

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 3/12/08 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
This thread has some info.

Westfield SVA info, including lighting stuff.

Mirrors should be OK subject to radius and size being OK.

Roll bar/cage should be OK

Reverse light not required

Best to avoid having any screen at all for SVA so you don't have hassle with sharp edges, etc.

Switches need to be radius-friendly except in an exempt area. There are requirements for what warning lights you need.

The SVA manual is quite a good source of reference info ;D, and you can get clarification and real-life experience from this site,

Dusty

posted on 3/12/08 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
E markings on lights refer to their lighting properties only. A correctly E marked light can still be failed for poor positioning or sharp edges of its housing.
SVA is the current guide only and will have been replaced by new IVA regulations by the time you get to the test and those regulations are yet to be finalised despite being due to be implemented in april 09.

[Edited on 3/12/08 by Dusty]

tegwin

posted on 3/12/08 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
IMHO, I would invest in the IVA guidelines.... I wish I had a copy when I was building the car, that way you can quickly flick through it and get THE OFFICIAL answer..... Plus if you take it to the test and show th tester that you built the car to the book, it may be harder for them to "find" things to fail it on... Just incase you get an analy retentative arsehole as a tester...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Z20let Corsa

posted on 3/12/08 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
where would i source them then please?? thanks.

adithorp

posted on 3/12/08 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
The best money I spent during my build was buying the SVA manual. Well that and an R1 engine! Order via VOSA web-site.

Yes, its expensive. Yes, you can find it on-line. I just find the hard copy easier to use (a lot of it needs reading several times to understand) and it saves buying bits you can't use or wasting time on stuff that won't pass.

Lights don't have to be E-marked either, they just have to have similar characteristics to ones that are.

Fit a screen after test if possible.

No restriction on mirror protrution as far as I know.

adrian

[Edited on 3/12/08 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

iank

posted on 3/12/08 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Z20let Corsa
where would i source them then please?? thanks.

Look at the top sticky thread above to download the draft IVA manual.

For SVA the lights don't have to be e-marked, but if they aren't the onus is on you to prove the light output and pattern are acceptable - which is hard if they challenge it, but generally they don't if they look reasonable. Conversely if they have an e-mark then they have to have a good reason to believe they aren't suitable. Haven't checked to see if they've changed that for IVA.

The changes between the SVA draft and the official document were pretty minimal, I'd expect the official IVA manual to be very close to the draft as well.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

BenB

posted on 3/12/08 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Getting a copy of the IVA manual (SVA if you're seriously quick builder) would be a v good idea....
adithorp

posted on 3/12/08 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
E marks have to be the right one as well. The manual lists the marks for each lamp. So you might have E marked lamps (bike specific for example) but still fail because they aren't bright enough.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

flak monkey

posted on 3/12/08 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Look on my website here:

http://gtslocost.locostsites.co.uk/downloads.htm

There is a copy of the draft sva manual there. It is draft, however there is enough info in there to get through the test and understand the requirements.

Anything marked eSVA is irrelevant (most of the first chapters)

Yeah???

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.