New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Weather gear
YQUSTA

posted on 8/12/08 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
MK Weather gear

For those that have fitted.

First off

instructions, did you get any?

Screen bar (fiber glass) how good a fit was it? mine is too small to fit over the screen frame.

any help welcome

1 last thing any one got any idea's of how to remove pen mark's from the windows of a hood? (windows had marks from new not from me)

YQUSTA

Humbug

posted on 9/12/08 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Can't help you with the fitting questions, but if the pen is permanent marker, meths or white spirit and a soft cloth should remove it
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/12/08 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
hoods are quite easy to fit but do it inside the garage and place a small convection or fan heater inside the car when workin on the hood, also store the hood beforehand in the house overnight before you try to fit it. If you don't do that the hood will be floppy in summer and not tight enough in winter. Work from the front back, windscreen area first with the poppers then the back, then the sides. Use string to keep the rear hoop in place as you pull the hood down on it to fix the back. Keep in mind not to pull very tight, just enough to get the wrinkles out or you will make it difficult to put up in the cold. The heat will also help to get any creases out the back plastic window.

most important is take your time

[Edited on 9/12/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
martyn_16v

posted on 9/12/08 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Brake cleaner removes anything from anything

Test it in an inconspicuous area first, blah blah blah

grafter

posted on 9/12/08 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
The fibreglass window bow will only fit onto the screens MK sell as that is the profile on it. The bow is supposed to be a tight fit and the hood material should only be glued to the front outside and and the front inside, if it is glued to the complete inside it will not fit.

I have done a very poor drawing of it where the black part is the Bow, the Blue the hood and the yellow the glue.

You should also fit a popper to the top of the windscreen arms which meets a piece of the hood that comes past the bow to be used to completely secure the bow to the windscreen when driving.

[Edited on 9/12/08 by grafter]

YQUSTA

posted on 9/12/08 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the advice.

The bow as far as I can tell is at fault. without the hood it wont go over the screen, so that will be going back for an exchange/test with MK.

What have others done regarding the screen.
What angle does it need to be?
or
is it inline with the shelf on the scuttle?

YQUSTA

JRT

posted on 9/12/08 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
The bow is a very tight fit but is made that way purposely!

The windscreen needs to be inline with the scuttle, ie tight aganst the lip and the bottom of the stainless steel side arms should be horizontally level with the base of the scuttle. It doesn't have to be perfect as there is plenty of excess material on the front. To double check you have a reasonably close enough angle then simple offer up the door. The base of the fibreglass insert for your arm should be level with chassis rail.

And as for working from the front back...its better to work from the back to the front!

Here's some of the fitting instructions, i don't have the diagrams unfortunately but you get the idea!

1. The first thing to do is fit the metal folding frame to the car. This is done by bolting it down to the front outside bolt of the roll bar using the supplied bracket as shown in figure 1. If your rollbar is the welded in type then you will need to drill and tap an M10 hole and fit the folding frame bracket to it. The exact position of the hole to be drilled and tapped can be located using figure 1a. The bracket which connects the folding frame to the chassis contains two M8 holes as can be seen in figure 2. For the initial fitting of the Hood it is important that the folding frame is bolted to the bracket using the lower M8 hole. Over time the material may stretch causing the tension in the hood to slacken. If this occurs then you can higher the hood folding frame simply by adjusting to the higher bolt and regaining the required tension in the material.

2. The hood should now be draped over the frame and the velcro tubes used to fix it tightly and evenly to the folding frame.

3. Pull the back of the hood so that the bottom edge sits about an inch below the edge of the fibreglass boot as shown in figure 3. While one person roughly holds the rear of the Hood to the fibreglass body the second person should pull the front of the hood over the windscreen and tape it down to the glass to temporally hold it while you are fitting the poppers at the back. It doesn’t have to be pulled to the required tension at this point, just enough the hold it in place.

4. 15 poppers should be fitted to the hood material, spacing them any way you wish in order to get a smooth finish to the Hood without creases. Start in the centre of the Hood and mark with a pen on the material where the first popper is to be located as shown in figure 4. Next move left and right of the centre popper mark and continue around to the sides marking each popper location. This is where a second pair of hands really does make a difference! The recommened spacing between the poppers is 200mm. The first and last ones should be fitted to the ends as seen in figure 5.

5. Once the popper location have been marked then remove the Hood from the folding frame and place on a clean bench. Using a Popper fitting Tool as shown in figure 6 fit the popper head pieces A & B to the Hood material at your marked locations.

6. Next you need to reattach the Hood over the folding frame and secure to windscreen with tape as previously done.

7. Starting with the centre popper, take up the tension in the Hood and mark the corresponding position on the boot fibreglass panel where the popper receiver piece C is to be fitted as shown in figure 7. Drill and pop rivet the popper receiver to the fibreglass and press fit the hood popper to the receiver. Repeat this procedure working alternatively left and right of the centre popper around the complete edges.

8. The next step is to mark the front of the Hood material in relation to the fibreglass bow. Firstly secure the Hood rear poppers to their receivers as should be once normally installed. Fit the fibreglass window bow over the windscreen frame on its own. Find the centrepoint of the Window Bow and mark with a pen as shown in figure 8. Pull the Hood Material over the windscreen and bow tightly to get the desired tension on the roof material making sure it is centred left to right. A simple way to do this is to fold the front section of the roof material in half and make a little cut to denote the centre. Line this cut with the line you marked on the fibreglass bow. Then, with a pen mark the Hood material where it meets the bottom of the fibreglass bow on the outside of the windscreen as shown in figure 9. Do this intermittantly across the front of the fibreglass bow including the curved ends. Its important to keep the tension on the roof during this process as an incorrect marking will give a flappy roof. Once done, remove the Hood and fibreglass bow and put on the bench.

9. Next its time to glue the fibreglass bow to the Hood material. It is VERY important that the Hood material is glued as shown in Figure 10 as the bow has been designed to have a very tight fit over the windscreen frame and any excess material will cause the Bow not to fit properly. Firstly lay the Hood on the bench with the outside surface face up so you can see your markings. Now, cut away all excess material leaving only 15mm of material after the markings you made as shown in figure 11. This extra 15mm will be the piece of material that is glued inside the Bow as shown in Figure 10. Again, fold the roof in half and mark the centre of the Hood Material. Using a small brush, brush on the self-adhesive glue to both sections of the Hood material and the window bow as shown in Figure 10. Leave both to dry until tacky before trying to stick together. When applying the Hood material to the bow make sure that the centreline of the Hood matches with the centreline of the bow. Also, ensure that the section of material glued inside the bow has no creases or ripples and is smooth. Remove all excess glue. When dry, refit the Hood to the folding frame, then fit the window bow to the windscreen and finally pull the Hood from the rear to secure the poppers. This is the way you should always erect or takedown your Hood. NEVER try fit the window bow last as it will damage the Hood.

10. For additional security poppers and receivers should be ftted to the top of the Stainless Steel windscreen arms and the front corners of the Hood Material as shown in figure

Hope that helps a bit!

YQUSTA

posted on 9/12/08 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks alot JRT

Looks to me that I am missing the instructions will ask Mk to send me some.

Did you get the glue with the kit or buy it?
If bought what type did you use?

With regards to the bow mine wont even go over the ally frame of the screen without the leather so unless my screen isnt right the bow isnt, I think its the bow as on one side of the down pieces its very thick compared to the rest of it.

Its getting sent back to MK for the to test and get back to me so I will soon find out.

If any one could do me a favor and measure the thickness of the screen frame at the top where the bow would fit over that would be great as I can compare it before I send the bow back to MK.

Thanks again to all of you that have responded youv'e been a great help.

YQUSTA

[Edited on 9/12/08 by YQUSTA]

JRT

posted on 9/12/08 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Windscreen Ally Frame is 15mm thick. The fibrglass Bow needs a a small piece cut of either end at the end of the curves because the bow hits the windscreen side arms and is unable to go down further. Try taking a slice of either end before sending it back.

Glue doesn't come with the Kit but normal Contact Glue is fine.

YQUSTA

posted on 9/12/08 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks again JRT

just checked my screen and it is 15mm

the bow on the other hand is less than 15mm most of the way along it and wont flex to fit over. It has alot of veriance in the thickness of the fibre glass along it's length.

I think I'll send it back before cutting just incase they won't take it back after I cut it.

Thanks

YQUSTA

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.