Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: insurance on chassis no.
afj

posted on 10/12/08 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
insurance on chassis no.

following on from the kit car insurance for young drivers thread, ive rang around and have asked for insurance on the chassis no. of my indy, with various responces of the cover lasting from one week to about 4 weeks before needing a reg no. is this normal
jabbahutt

posted on 10/12/08 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
try adrian flux. They insured mine on a chassis number and told me just to ring through as and when I got the full reg.

John Bonnett

posted on 10/12/08 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi afj, yes I'm afraid this is the norm now. It is all because of the combined data-base of the police, DVLA and insurance companies.

If you take out a policy on the chassis number, as has been mentioned in a parallel thread, if you haven't got an SVA pass and registration within the time limit given by the insurance company you stand to have the policy cancelled with no rebate given.

The only safe way in my view is to trailer the car to and from SVA and take out the insurance once you have the registration.

However, be warned that the towing vehicle's insurance will not cover the car on your trailer but you can get a build up insurance that will cover it.

Sorry to be the bearer of such bad tidings,

atb

John

Dangle_kt

posted on 10/12/08 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
That is one of the main reasons I got build up insurance, so I can trailer it round without worrying about trying to argue with my company car insurane company.

only £75 for the year.

quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
Hi afj, yes I'm afraid this is the norm now. It is all because of the combined data-base of the police, DVLA and insurance companies.

If you take out a policy on the chassis number, as has been mentioned in a parallel thread, if you haven't got an SVA pass and registration within the time limit given by the insurance company you stand to have the policy cancelled with no rebate given.

The only safe way in my view is to trailer the car to and from SVA and take out the insurance once you have the registration.

However, be warned that the towing vehicle's insurance will not cover the car on your trailer but you can get a build up insurance that will cover it.

Sorry to be the bearer of such bad tidings,

atb

John

BenB

posted on 10/12/08 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
AF will insure on a chassis number but usually only for a short period of time. Then again, they usually blame the insurers and I believe they'll recently started up their own insurance company (rather than just acting as insurance agents).
Danozeman

posted on 10/12/08 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Dangle where di u get that insurance?

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Agriv8

posted on 10/12/08 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Msm gave me a month and extended it for re-test ( but that was 3 years ago ) before they told you about the 'DATABASE'

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Humbug

posted on 10/12/08 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
AF gave me 30 days and they refused point blank to extend it. Luckily I got registered on day 29...

However I've renewed with them every year because they have given the best quote

...also, as a follow-up to te previous thread, I took my wife off the policy this year because it was £10 cheaper!

MartinDB

posted on 10/12/08 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Footman James have just sent me my third month's chassis number covernote. They couldn't have been more helpful.
wicket

posted on 10/12/08 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Same here for FJ they would have extended it beyond 1 month if I had needed it.

I have used FJ for all my other cars for about 10 years now and always had really good service, and premiums. Throughly recommended.

[Edited on 10/12/08 by wicket]

afj

posted on 11/12/08 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
its not that much of a problem as i manage a recovery depot so have a few trucks to take it on to sva, but i would really like to drive her there(2nd week of january)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.