Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA draft october.
Dusty

posted on 17/12/08 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
IVA draft october.

This is the latest draft I have come across and does contain some new proposals such as the exhaust must be non contactable due to the risk of serious burns.
mad4x4

posted on 17/12/08 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Yeap makes sense -

Should there have been a Link ^^

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

DarrenW

posted on 17/12/08 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Oh dear, does that mean our top exit manifolds are going to be ruled out? Bit of a shame but i can see the sense in it. Always thought it odd that an exhaust could be way to hot to touch but OK as long as you cant cut yourself on it. Might be a bit tough if people have already bought their system but still a long way off completing.

Looks like more systems similar to BigRich's are on the cards then.

DarrenW

posted on 17/12/08 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
is this it

http://www.governmentivaadvice.co.uk/ivaprocess.aspx

Interesting leaflet
http://www.ampar.com/pdfs/SVA%20to%20IVA%20leaflet.pdf
Mentions front seat head restraints will be tested. Also talks about rear view mirrors - suggests that currently an interior mirror isnt mandatory.

Im not sure when this was released;
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/The%20IVA%20Inspection%20Manual%20for%20M1%20passenger%20cars.pdf

Page 82 is interesting. Head restraints must be fitted to front seats and be padded.

[Edited on 17/12/08 by DarrenW]

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/12/08 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
I've always been surprised that we could get away with burning hot exhausts sticking out the side of a car for the SVA, glad they've changed it tbh and not difficult to cover them, even on a 7

might be the end of side pipes on cobra's though

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 17/12/08 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Easy? how should I go about covering the headers and side pipe on my seven without it looking ridiculous?
Dangle_kt

posted on 17/12/08 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
will exhaust rap do?
Dangle_kt

posted on 17/12/08 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
just looked through bigrichs archive, what do you mean by his exhaust?

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Oh dear, does that mean our top exit manifolds are going to be ruled out? Bit of a shame but i can see the sense in it. Always thought it odd that an exhaust could be way to hot to touch but OK as long as you cant cut yourself on it. Might be a bit tough if people have already bought their system but still a long way off completing.

Looks like more systems similar to BigRich's are on the cards then.

DarrenW

posted on 17/12/08 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Rich's exhaust is concealed fully inside the car and exits the rear panel via 2 silencers. Very neat indeed.

DarrenW

posted on 17/12/08 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
Easy? how should I go about covering the headers and side pipe on my seven without it looking ridiculous?

Its not so easy on a car built to have side exit system particularly if like mine and manifold exits out of bonnet. It is easier however if the system is designed to pass IVA from the start.

What surprises me is that so close to IVA coming into force there doesnt seem to be a final copy available from HMO so that builders can be confident they are being compliant. It would not surprise me to find the date slips due to VOSA not being ready, although that is just ny humble oppinion.

Dangle_kt

posted on 17/12/08 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
It would not surprise me to find the date slips due to VOSA not being ready, although that is just ny humble oppinion.

I sincerly hope so!

cd.thomson

posted on 17/12/08 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
my dax is designed to have the exhaust headers exiting the body at thigh height, then dropping down to a side exhaust.

Should i just push it to the tip now?

Bluemoon

posted on 17/12/08 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Must say the IVA has a good effect on my build.. It's going very fast now, real deadline to get SVA booked early next year!

Dan

Dangle_kt

posted on 17/12/08 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
Must say the IVA has a good effect on my build.. It's going very fast now, real deadline to get SVA booked early next year!

Dan

agreed.

peteday_uk@btinternet.com

posted on 17/12/08 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Ok. Me being thick here.

this doesn't just apply to the can, but actually the whole exhast from the moment it leaves the side panel?
(Building an MK Indy) If that is true then the thing is going to have to be covered in a cage which will look awful.

Are there any other changes that are going to upset us do you think?

MikeR

posted on 17/12/08 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
p144, note 7 - looks like all our seat belts must have retractor mechanisms on them!

do you think they'll allow the fact the belt is manually adjustable???? doesn't sound like it.

peteday_uk@btinternet.com

posted on 17/12/08 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Note 7: A belt may be fitted with retractor mechanisms on both lap and diagonal sections. If fitted with a single retractor mechanism it must act initially
on the diagonal (shoulder) section.

Looking at the above note it says MAY not MUST. So hopefully we don't need to have the retractor.

Ian Pearson

posted on 17/12/08 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All,

After too many months/years of inactivity, looks as though this may be the kick I need to finish the car. As I work away from home, I'm not sure I'll finish in time to miss the new regs. I've downloaded the IVA pdf, but can't find the reference to the exhaust that is mentioned in this post. Could one of you kind folk let me know what page it's on?

Many Thanks,

Ian.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.