Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Windscreen and tyre Legislation?
The Simmonds

posted on 22/12/08 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Windscreen and tyre Legislation?

Hi there,

I've got a Locost that has been built from scratch (not the Kit version). I am now almost ready for the test but am wondering about a few legal issues. Hopefully someone can put me right!

I am about to make a windscreen - managed to get some brackets that will allow the screen to fold flat. If it can fold flat so that the driver's eye sight is above the top of the screen, does that mean I don't need washers, demisters or wipers?

Also, does it need a screen at all to pass the test - I mean would it pass if it didn't even have an aeroscreen but still had a rear view mirror?

Oh, and how do I make sure I have correctly rated tyres for the speed of the vehicle - it has a 1600 sierra pinto engine in it, would the tyres from the donor vehicle therefore be acceptable?

No one has an SVA book spare that they want to get rid of do they?!

Many thanks,

Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Miks15

posted on 22/12/08 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
tyre rating link
Lars

posted on 22/12/08 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have an SVA book I no longer need. (from memory its 2004 though.

However you do not need any sort of windscreen, so I would attach this post SVA if needed.

Tyres just need to be rated higher than whatever you put as the max speed on your SVA application.

The Simmonds

posted on 22/12/08 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent! How much would you want for it? Any chance you could give me a quick call on, 07843868929 at some point so that we could perhaps sort out payment etc?

Many Thanks,

Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 22/12/08 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
leave the screen off its just more items for the tester to have the opportunity to fail ie demister, demister switch, vents, surround, glass, wipers etc. as soon as it passes fit your screen.

As other have said ensure your tyre rating exceeds your maximum speed which will be no more than 130mph

mark chandler

posted on 22/12/08 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Folded flat will still fail without wipers and washers, they will make you stand it up. remove for SVA
The Simmonds

posted on 22/12/08 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
cheers everyone that's loads of help!

This site is so good!

The Simmonds

posted on 22/12/08 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
Oh yeh, if I get it tested without any windscreen at all would that mean that technically I would have to wear a helmet or not?

Thanks,

Matt

robinj66

posted on 23/12/08 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
No - you don't have to .... but you'll want to

if you're a woose like me

vindicator

posted on 23/12/08 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Picture says a thousand words....

at sva
at sva

HTH

Vindicator

timr.spaces.live.com---build blog

02GF74

posted on 23/12/08 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Land Rovers have supposed passed MOT without having the wipers/waster tested when submitted withthe screen folded down BUT as ^^^ says, SVA wouuld make you put the screen up.

So defnietley do not fit prioer to test.

Driving without a screen I would definietly wear eye protection - googles or helmer - nethter is test at SVA.

The Simmonds

posted on 23/12/08 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
That Vindicator is stunning!

Thanks everyone, reckon il just bang a mirror on it to get it through the SVA test then put a foldable screen on it afterwards.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.