Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Side/Headlight Rocker Switch
orbital

posted on 28/12/08 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Side/Headlight Rocker Switch

Hi All,

Time for my monthly "How the f**k do I wire this" question.

I'm trying to work out how to wire my Durite off/side/head switch. I've got the wiring diagrams but it's not making any sense to me. I know this is tantamount to blaspheming on here, but I wish I'd bough a completed car now!

I have these connectors on the stalks (which I'm removing hence the post).

Description
Description

And I'm trying to replace the side light/head light part on the stalks with this switch

Description
Description

There are only three pins on the back of the switch and none of them are marked in anyway as I can see. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

prawnabie

posted on 28/12/08 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Use a multimeter-

one pin will be the live feed in
one pin will be the side lights feed out
one pin will be the sidelights and headlights feed out

HTH

Shaun

big_wasa

posted on 28/12/08 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
If you are using the sierra stem for the indicators you maybe better of going switched earth ?

either way its still very easy. give me a shout if you are using the sierra indicator stem and I will do you a wiring diagram

omega 24 v6

posted on 28/12/08 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Well first off anything possible. So basically at the moment with the sierra stalks and switches it works as follows.

When you put on the side lights the red 30 joins to the slate 58 and bingo you have lights. Then when you put the switch to head lights the red 30 STILL stays joined to the slate 58 BUT the brown 31 then also joins to the black/red 56 which in turn is a negative switch for the headlight relay (dip beam) this relay has a seperate LIVE feed from the fuse box.
It looks complicated but like I say it would be posssible given the right switches. I have a line diagram of the sierra switches in autocad format I could email to you if you want.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

orbital

posted on 28/12/08 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Gary,

I've got you line diagram mate and I'm still having trouble I just can't get my head round this wiring at all. I'm really starting to think I should get someone to do this for me as I really don't want to set fire to the loom because I've been an arse and done something wrong.

Wasa,

I'm replacing all the stalks from the Sierra column with switches (oh how I regret that decision now!). I've managed to replace the ignition barrel with a on/off key and a start button and also the indicator stalk with an on/off/on switch (with the help of Gary above). But this side/headlight switch is really starting to do my head in.

Cheers

Dave

omega 24 v6

posted on 28/12/08 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Look at the line diagram again mate. Visualize the switch in your head and realize that the diagram shows the switches in the off position. The centre part of the switch drawing show which connectors join up as you move the switch to position 1 or 2 (light switch) the dip/main beam/ flash switch is the same it's in the dip beam postion.. Push it down to change which relay is earthed (changes from dip to main beam) pull it up and as the the main beam relay has power at all times and you're earthin it the headlights flash.

orbital

posted on 29/12/08 at 02:11 AM Reply With Quote
OK, so using your line diagram the light switch has these three possible positions:

Description
Description

Is that correct? If so, how does that equate to the three pins on the back of my switch? I'm still not sure how exactly which wire goes to which pin. Sorry for being dim mate!

Cheers

Dave

omega 24 v6

posted on 29/12/08 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Yep there you go you've got it right. As for your switch then I'd need a diagram of the internals or a description of what it is (website etc would do probably). If it's an on off on then there are possibilities for it to work but it'd mean adapting/altering the relay wiring for the head light as well. I presume your keeping the main beam and flash on the stalks??
On my way out for the day now but I'll check back later on tonight.

orbital

posted on 29/12/08 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for your help mate I really appreciated it.

The switch is the one above a Durite off/on/on. The only thing is says on the packaging is "Part 0-645-00 Switch Metal Dolly 3 Way Off/Side/head" I've had a search round this morning and can't find squat about it's internals or even which pin does what.

My intention is to remove the stalks completely, so I was going to put the main beam and flash onto another switch. Actually, what I thought of doing was to put the main beam onto a push button (latching) switch. So you can just push it on and off to flash, or just leave it on for full beam. Do you think that would be OK?

Cheers

Dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.