Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any MIG recommendations
BenB

posted on 2/1/09 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Any MIG recommendations

I'm taking the plunge and getting a new MIG welder. My Clarke90 is okay for thin metal but for making up my engine cradle it's a bit marginal. Even on max power and moving very slowly I get poor penetration. It's also a bit tempremental and stutters quite a bit when welding (so its very difficult to get a good bead). My brother's pretty good at welding and when he had a go with it he said quite a few un-typable things... I've replaced the liner, nozzle and tip but it's still a bit borderline.

So..... what's a better choice?

I'm thinking something that will do 150 Amps? Duty cycle isn't super important and I'm not planning on building a battle-ship soon!!

Preferably < £200 (or £150 if the wife asks)....

scootz

posted on 2/1/09 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
How about a Mig-23?

zilspeed

posted on 2/1/09 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Do you reckon you really need that much grunt for making an engine cradle out of 1.5mm tube and 3mm plate. (I assumed the above.)

That's what I have just made mine out of and I was in setting 4 out of 6 on ye olde Clarke 160.

Actually, scratch that, have just had a look on the mig-welding website and the calculator there reckons your machine is flat out at 2.3mm.

My old 160 is reckoned to be useful up to 4.3mm. Not that I have any intention of doing any such stuff.

Looks like you might be right.

FYI, this machine cost £50 very s/h.

BenB

posted on 2/1/09 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote

For < £200 I'll take it. Would beat the tintop for the commute. Might take a bit of fuel though.....

Thinking about a Sealey 150A MIG. Just sneaks in <£200.

There is this Ebay special but I'm a bit wary it might be cheap tatt.....

I was reading the MIG-welding website which showed that a Clarke90 is pretty much knackered penetration-wise > 2mm.... (which certainly appears to be confirmed by my in-garage experience)....

[Edited on 2/1/09 by BenB]

zilspeed

posted on 2/1/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB

There is this Ebay special but I'm a bit wary it might be cheap tatt.....

Minimum current is 60amps.

I would stick with a Clarke myself.

BenB

posted on 2/1/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Yup. I spotted that one in the import. It'd mean I'd have to keep the Clarke90 for thin stuff. SIP's goes from 30-150A.... Tempting.... (min A on the C90 is 25)...
theconrodkid

posted on 2/1/09 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
SIP have a bit of a bad name on the small mig front,clark is better,you can borrow mine if thats all ya need to do

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

BenB

posted on 2/1/09 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
This cradle is no ordinary cradle!! I think it's going to take about six months to finish- I wouldn't deprive you of your welder for that long!!

To begin with I'm just modifying the old cradle so that I can access the crank pulley, wack a timing plate on it and work out (with a timing strobe) what the standard ST ECU timing graph is like (as a safe "basic map" for the Emerald). Then I'm building the cradle proper which will take the dry sump pump and gubbins as well as holding the EFi crank trigger wheel sensor. Then it gets really serious as the cradle has to have the mounting plates for the M45 blower attached A DIY EFi conversion, DIY dry sump and DIY supercharger install should keep me busy with the welder for a few months!!!!

theconrodkid

posted on 2/1/09 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
hm,complicated

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

dr-fastlane

posted on 2/1/09 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Seven years ago I bought me a Kemppi Super migger only to weld the chassis. Now I’m glad i’ve bought it, because when you have one, you’re gonne use it!

------------------------------
I have not failed once. I have successfully found ways that will not work!

https://www.motor-forum.nl/threads/hardtail-dragstyle-project.343482/

JeffHs

posted on 2/1/09 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Try a steel liner in the Clarke. I bought a SIP 130 and was bitterly disappointed - it was no better than my old Clarke 90. I tried a new liner and no better then much later I put a steel one in - about 3 quid from Machine Mart. It's perfect every time now, no stuttering etc.
BenB

posted on 2/1/09 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
You know I might just do that Even if only so I can sell it on....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.