Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4AGE Toyota wiring
Neil P

posted on 4/1/09 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
4AGE Toyota wiring

The realisation has just struck home - I know next to nothing about wiring my Toyota engine into the Ford loom.

All the various Toyota wiring diagrams I have come across have not helped me very much in tracking where everything should go, most are for corollas rather than MR2 and don't seem to quite match. From searching, Rob Lane has a useful diagram but I can't access it - does anyone have it that could let me have a look, please?

Can anyone identify where the plugs in the photo's should normally go to. The one with four wires appears to provide 12v at both of the thicker (Black and White) wires. I know the photo's aren't great but it is dark outside!

I do have the engine loom but I don't have the Toyota engine fuse box. Would it be easier, and therefore worthwhile, to get one?

Apparently you only need six wires to get the engine running. I've got bloody hundreds and don't know which six I need. Thanks go to anyone who can help. I find sitting and looking at it without achieving anything really frustrating.

Neil

COREdevelopments

posted on 4/1/09 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
i will try and help you nut your pics aint showing. also have a corolla 4age engine fusebox if you really need one.

Rob

Neil P

posted on 4/1/09 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure why they're not showing. They are in my archive imaginatively title multi plug 1 & 2.

Neil

zilspeed

posted on 4/1/09 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Here you go.

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 4/1/09 by zilspeed]

russbost

posted on 5/1/09 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Neil
I have the MR2 Mk1 wiring digs on CD, but TBH they are pretty awful, I seem to remember they are available on the MR2 owners club website, but they are the same dreadful diagrams. The problem is that Haynes never did a manual for the MR2 over here, only an American one (which I also have & it has the same hideous diagrams!) hence all the wiring digs have emisions stuff, air con & all sorts of other bits which "our" cars never had.
I can't say for sure I recognise the plugs you've pictured, but the smaller one I think goes into a sort of chunky "connector block" somewhere around the battery tray area.
As I mentioned in your previous post, I use the complete Toyota engine loom together with the fuse box etc, that way keeps it really simple & you need only the half dozen wires you mention. As soon as you eliminate the fuse box it becomes much more complicated.
Do you have the wiring to the ECU & fuel relay all still intact?
I'm off to SVA today, but could take a look at my wiring this evening/tomorrow if that will help. I do also have a complete MR2 here which might be useful for working things out.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
COREdevelopments

posted on 5/1/09 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
neil can you count how many terminal holes are in each mulitiplug and let me know, i will try and find out which ones they are then.

rob

Neil P

posted on 5/1/09 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys.

The small block has four wires. Two are quite heavy - one black and one white. These are permanent live when the battery is connected. one is black with white trace and this is the starter trigger wire. The fourth is a thinner blue wire the purpose of which I don't know. I don't know what this plug should go into but I assume given the large size of the cables that it should be through a relay.

I have the ECU and the relay that attaches to it. The circuit opening relay.

I'm going to have a look shortly at the other connector and check what other relays there are, I think the two shown are the only ones not connected though.

Not good news on the Haynes manual front either; I just bought one on e-bay in the hope of better diagrams.

Neil

flak monkey

posted on 5/1/09 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
The full Mk1 MR2 service manual is here if you want to have a look anyway:

http://gtslocost.locostsites.co.uk/MR2.pdf

David

[Edited on 5/1/09 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Neil P

posted on 5/1/09 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Right then, I've had another look at the engine loom. Other than a couple of disconnected sensors there are only these two plugs that are not connected.

The one with the four wires comes off the loom within what would have been the engine bay about 12" away from the battery positive terminal.

The second connector comes off the loom at the same place as the ECU which would have been outside the engine bay.
This one has 18 wires running into it.

Heading back to the wiring diagrams for another look.

Neil

wax-it

posted on 27/6/09 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
sorry, might be in another thread, but did you sort this and did you find any better wiring diagrams.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.