Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hanging doors... ?
tegwin

posted on 10/1/09 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hanging doors... ?

Just spent nearly two hours unsuccessfully trying to fit the doors back onto the TVR...

I dont seem to be able to get them remotley close to where I want them...

Its hard to do up the hinge bolts with the door closed...

Does anyone have any advice that might help?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

mookaloid

posted on 10/1/09 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
How are the hinges fastened to the door itself?

I seem to remember that on my old Scimitar you could adjust the hinges once the door was fitted by removing the door card which revealed the inner hinge mounts which had slotted holes

Might be completely different on the TVR though

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

tegwin

posted on 10/1/09 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
The hinges are pretty much fibreglassed onto the shell..

They slip inside the fibreglass door and are held inplace by sandwiching the fibreglass between the hinge and a bolt with a large washer..

The holes in the fibreglass door are "oversized" to allow for adjustment...

I just dont seem to be able to get them to adjust without risk of screwing the paint job up :p

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

stevebubs

posted on 10/1/09 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Got any photos of the hinges with the door in it's closed position?
zetec7

posted on 10/1/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to recall having that issue on a car I worked on once. If I recall, I ended up using a little lubricant on the mating surfaces, and doing the bolts up JUST tight enough that I had to push hard to adjust it. Then I closed and latched the door, and pushed/shove it into alignment, then GENTLY opened the door to maintain the position temporarily, & cinched the living daylights out of the fasteners.

Worked for me. Of course, it wasn't a TVR, so this might not be possible for you...

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 10/1/09 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
I once hung a pair of doors on an MGB and seem to recall it being a catch-22 type situation; you can only tell the doors are in the right position when closed but when closed, you cannot get at the bolts to adjust the door!!

I seem to recall getting it kind of right; then opening door and making adjustment, closing then repeat.

Beware of the locking yourself out - not sure if that can happend but on t he same car, the boot had a dicky catch so that when I closed it, pressing the button did not release the catch! I was able to turn the lock and then drill a small hole in order to push the catch, oh happy days .....

mark chandler

posted on 10/1/09 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
I believe the prefered way at the landrover factory was a lump of 4"x2" wood with the end wrapped in carpet being used to bash the door into position with the bolts nipped up lightly.

Uurgh horrible but effective.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.