Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GRP materials for a boot box
UncleFista

posted on 13/1/09 at 01:43 AM Reply With Quote
GRP materials for a boot box

What materials would I need to make a GRP boot box/panel ?

Or should I say how much of each ? resin and mat ?

I'm gonna make a buck from MDF and it'll probably be sprayed afterwards. What's the difference between gel-coat and flow-coat and which one is best ?

Finally, any good links to sites with simple pictures ?

Ta in advance.

[Edited on 13/1/09 by UncleFista]

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Hugh Paterson

posted on 13/1/09 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
Gelcoat is the "thicker" resin used as a basecoat, which is then backed up by a layer of general purpose laminating resin, chopped strand matt, more resin chopped strand matt. U get to your desired thickness, consoidate the laminate with a special roller to remove all the voids and squeeze the laminates together. U would go through this process twice. Once to get the mould from your plug/buck, then the moulding from the mould tooling u produce from that. Flowcoat is a gelcoat/resin mix generally used to "paint" a finish surface on the rough inner side of a moulding, it helps to waterproof the surface. Not recommended to produce moulds/mouldings with. Suggest u look at Amazon to get a good book to walk u through the process, failing that theres a few of us on here that can talk u through if u wanna save the dosh theres at least 5 of us on ere do it for living U will need some gelcoat a couple of brushes, some chopped strand matt, catalyst to set the gelcoat and resin, general purpose resin and a couple of wee rollers, and some pigment to colur the gel and resin if u desire??? dont forget the personnel protection, gloves goggles overalls.......o the list goes on!!!
Shug

will121

posted on 13/1/09 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
good info and products from these sites, generally 1/2.5 by weight for fibreglass mat to resin ratio

fibreglass products and guides

recently brought from these with good advise sites, price and delivery
firbeglass

UncleFista

posted on 13/1/09 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Right then, I'll get some stuff ordered, then ask some daft questions again nearer the time

Thanks

Tony Bond / UncleFista

twybrow

posted on 13/1/09 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Paterson
Gelcoat is the "thicker" resin used as a basecoat, which is then backed up by a layer of general purpose laminating resin, chopped strand matt, more resin chopped strand matt. U get to your desired thickness, consoidate the laminate with a special roller to remove all the voids and squeeze the laminates together. U would go through this process twice. Once to get the mould from your plug/buck, then the moulding from the mould tooling u produce from that. Flowcoat is a gelcoat/resin mix generally used to "paint" a finish surface on the rough inner side of a moulding, it helps to waterproof the surface. Not recommended to produce moulds/mouldings with. Suggest u look at Amazon to get a good book to walk u through the process, failing that theres a few of us on here that can talk u through if u wanna save the dosh theres at least 5 of us on ere do it for living U will need some gelcoat a couple of brushes, some chopped strand matt, catalyst to set the gelcoat and resin, general purpose resin and a couple of wee rollers, and some pigment to colur the gel and resin if u desire??? dont forget the personnel protection, gloves goggles overalls.......o the list goes on!!!
Shug

Flowcaot is simply gelcoat with wax (not mould release type, a liqud type used in GRP production) added. By adding the wax, the surface layer will not remain sticky. Regular gelcoat will have a sticky finish to it for some time. Normally, you would use flowcoat to cover the inner part surface (ie the rough side), but it can also be used as the outer most layer, dependng upon which way you are laying up.

Triton

posted on 13/1/09 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Cfs do a leaflet stating what you need etc...first measure the area then that can be worked back to how much gel, resin and matt is needed.

But like Hugh says if in doubt ask and help is on the forum.

Be careful with the shape too, you have to think inside out back to front with yer thumb in yer lughole but it's fun when it works out......

Mark

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 13/1/09 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
If you want to flow coat something then no need to buy that if already have gel coat, just add wax solution at 2% i think it is and "bingo" you have flowcoat...ideal for repairing too as flowcoat can be used like body filler. Let it cure then rub it down and polish it...easy if a little messy and smelly but beats wearing a tie....

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alexbishop123

posted on 13/1/09 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
[Edited on 13/1/09 by alexbishop123]
UncleFista

posted on 13/1/09 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Right, the difference between flowcoat and gelcoat has sunk in now

Does anyone have any idea what colour/RAL code our bodywork is, it was a standard MK colour at the time.

crunch
crunch

[Edited on 13/1/09 by UncleFista]

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Hugh Paterson

posted on 13/1/09 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Do a google for ral colours and u will prob find, or u could just phone MK for the match, not unlike the ultramarine blue I use for boat hulls (but not quite)?? Dont forget acetone to clean your tools out with or it gets expensive using new uns all the time
shug

[Edited on 13/1/09 by Hugh Paterson]

UncleFista

posted on 14/1/09 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Founf a GRP supplier in Leeds and bought;

5l resin
1l gelcoat
1l acetone
5m mat
2x paddle rollers
2x buckets
a tin of wax release agent

More than I need I know, but for £50 I'll have plenty left for a second attempt

More questions soon

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Hugh Paterson

posted on 15/1/09 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Ah welcome to the poly club, so what u making the buck or plug out of??
Shug

UncleFista

posted on 16/1/09 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
MDF and filler for the first attempt.

Notice I'm starting with what's basically a flat sheet ?

How would you advise we go about it ?

Cheers

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Hugh Paterson

posted on 16/1/09 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, have u got a drawing of what u want the final product to look like? And MDF will work fine as long as u seal the surface well before u try and "pull" the mould from it. It would be wise to have a
clearance angle in any box section to aid release of the moulding, a word of caution polyester filler needs good surface prep prior to gelcoating for the mould surface. It can stick like hell even after many coats of release wax, I would recommend the extra precaution of a thin coat of PVA release film to assist. Its available from all GRP suppliers. Another alternative for temporary radius on corners is plasticene, it works well for moulds getting produced for one off fabrications. The quality of the item u get from the mould relys on a good surface finish on the inital buck/plug, time spent on that pays dividends later the pic below is a quick buck for a wheel arch mould we needed quickly two weeks ago. that surface is easy to achieve with a bit of patience wi the wet and dry and a polish mop. 2 hours with the wet n dry 10 mins with a polish mop and G3
Shugster
P.S. this was produced from an mdf mould

[Edited on 16/1/09 by Hugh Paterson]

RoadkillUK

posted on 16/1/09 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Call it adventurous, but we were thinking something along these lines

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

Hugh Paterson

posted on 16/1/09 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt call that too adventurous, tidy comes to mind, if you engineer the plugs box section with say 1.5 degree release angle on its vertical sides it will allow the mould to pop off the plug without any major issues, I would suggest a router to edge the top edge of the boot box prob with a 6 mm radius about the minimum u would want to work with csm, and the router would prob whack out the 7 on the top too. Have a decko at some small stainless double action hinges, as fitted to boat lockers and I think your on to a winner, to be really tidy u want to recess the hinge so its flush. Bond in some hardwood or ply behind the hinge positions to spread the load of the bolts or screw fixings btw, reduces the likelihood of the fixings stress cracking the gelcoat. Ask your grp supplier if he has
any wax fillets it simplifies the task of radius'ing the 90 degree angles in the boots plug. Surface finish the plug with durabuild or epoxy paint for a high quality finish, if u go down either road u will have to hand work the filler to a radius instead of using wax fillets, it doesnt work too well overspraying the wax
regards
Shug

UncleFista

posted on 26/1/09 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks to all who contributed

Spent a few hours last week varnishing MDF and sanding etc. Big thanks to Hugh for suggesting plasticine for the radii, works perfectly

Did the lay up yesterday, popped it out of the (MDF) mould today, very pleased with the result.

We just need to make a box, cut to fit, then a "bit" of wet and dry and cutting

Chuffed, will post more pics when fitted

panel lay-up
panel lay-up

cover lay-up
cover lay-up

panel open
panel open

panel closed
panel closed

[Edited on 26/1/09 by UncleFista]

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Hugh Paterson

posted on 26/1/09 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Oh aye, that will do, if u are having another crack at somthing else let me know and will talk u through the surface prep to get the gloss finish Did u get the 7 logo on the lid??
Shug

RoadkillUK

posted on 27/1/09 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Didn't get the '7' logo on the lid, I'll do it next time, shouldn't be long, I'm dying to do some more

We're thinking of making a mold out of the finished product, after rubbing down to a nice polished finish.

The surface is a little matted and needs a rub down, gonna have a go at that today.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk

bazz81

posted on 4/5/09 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RoadkillUK
Call it adventurous, but we were thinking something along these lines

How much for making one for me?
For a reasonable price im really intrested!!
It look fantastic and is exactly what im looking for.

RoadkillUK

posted on 4/5/09 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, we're still making this, it's one of those ongoing projects.

We've lost the '7' as it's our first time glassing and we want it simple.

The 'tub' is now aluminium as we ran out of gel coat and we had some aluminium.

We are also a bit stuck on hinges as any 'normal' hinge will show.

As for production, no chance so far it's been a lot of work ... and it's not even finished

I'm not sure if I'll post a pic of the finished item as it may offend

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk

Vindi_andy

posted on 6/5/09 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
with our boot lid to make concealed hinges we use T gate hinges and glassed the long part to the underside of the lid after cutting a slot in the lip of the lid. Then fitted the short part to the vertical lip of the boot opening with bolts.

You can just see the hinge pin part. Will try and get some pics if ur interested.

I am thinking of making the box from fibreglass but it just seems like a lot of work.

[Edited on 6/5/09 by Vindi_andy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.