Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - PC parts, is this lot worth 80 quid?
Mansfield

posted on 18/1/09 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
OT - PC parts, is this lot worth 80 quid?

I need a new PC, the old 1100 Duron can't quite cope anymore. The 20GB hard drive is constantly filling up and I have to keep deleting things I would rather keep.

I probably need a laptop with XP on, but in the meantime I am looking to cobble together something cheapish so I can keep going for a bit.

Some of the motherboard/CPU bundles look cheap enough. I had a go at this one but I didn't meet the reserve. The seller has emailed me and it could be mine for £80 posted.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110338343600&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:GB:1123

What do you think? Has anyone out there got anything they want to sell around this spec so I dont have to deal with complete strangers?

ReMan

posted on 18/1/09 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't look a bad $80 to me
BenB

posted on 18/1/09 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Depends what you want to do with it but it seems about right.

It's a pretty old P4 processor, a gig of memory, 80Gb HD (ie pretty small nowadays), an old fanless (ie low performance) graphics card etc etc...

If you just want to do basic computer stuff on it then fine. If you want to run Crysis you'll need a better graphics card

I'm running an overclocked 2.66 (to 3.02) P4 with 1Gb but popped in a Radeon X1650. Does the job for me even Crysis on low res. Don't think I'd cope with 80Gb though I've got 420Gb (actually more but some is partitioned for Linux) and I'm running out!!!!

Jubal

posted on 18/1/09 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
It looks poor value to me. You can pick up a complete system with XP COA for similar or less.
Mansfield

posted on 18/1/09 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
The thing that really stretches the current PC is 3D AutoCad. Files above 10MB are a bit of a pain, although I get around this by working on little bits at a time. The 50MB files are more of a pain. I think I could get by with that spec as it is years ahead of my current set up although I think I would add another hard drive for data.

Iwould imagine I wont get much more for that money but there are some P4 3.0 Ghz Dells on ebay with windows for about the same, not such a good spec though.

My thinking is that if I had bought a PC with those bits in I would happily be using it today (and for a couple of years more) but it would have cost me £500 ish

Things are a bit tight right now.

Draughtsman, manufacturing, credit crunch. You fill in the missing words.

Mansfield

posted on 18/1/09 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jubal
It looks poor value to me. You can pick up a complete system with XP COA for similar or less.

I was typing the previous post when you posted this and I think I am coming to the same conclusion.

Jubal

posted on 19/1/09 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Two weeks ago I'd have had one to sell. Have a look at the classifieds on av forums. Lots of self builds pop up there and it's safer than eBay.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.