Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: question about polyurethane suspension bushes
ProjectLMP

posted on 3/2/04 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
question about polyurethane suspension bushes

Am I right in thinking you usually use a metal sleeve over the bolt when using polyurethane suspension bushes? Do they work by the bush rotating on the Sleeve or similar to a metalastic bush where the bush twists? Got to admit I am a bit ignorant in this area.

Home of the Astronomicalcost Mid engined LMP project

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rontyler

posted on 3/2/04 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
"Am I right in thinking you usually use a metal sleeve over the bolt when using polyurethane suspension bushes?"

Yes.

"Do they work by the bush rotating on the Sleeve..."

Yes... Its always the smaller circumference that it pivots around... all things being equal, theres less friction due to the less surface area.

Regards, Ron Tyler

"Nothing is ever accomplished by a reasonable man."

DaveFJ

posted on 3/2/04 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
oh no please....

don't start this one again....

This has been 'extensively' discussed (argued about) on numerous occasions

Do a quick search and you'll soon find a lot of answers ( usually all contradictory!)

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

rontyler

posted on 3/2/04 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
I AM RIGHT!!

LOL!!!!

Regards, Ron Tyler

sgraber

posted on 3/2/04 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
I certainly HOPE youre right, because that's how mine work. The inner sleeve is pinched against the bracket by the bolt. The bushing is lubricated with the goo that came in the package, There are little radial slits in the urethane next to the inner sleeve that hold the lube so that it doesnt dry out and squeak.

Graber

And yes, it's been discussed ad-nauseum@!

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rontyler

posted on 3/2/04 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for the tangent, but I'm curious... I am suprised that you are using poly in a car like yours (LMP)... What's the occasion?

Thanks.

Regards, Ron Tyler

ProjectLMP

posted on 3/2/04 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks. I remember reading a humungus thread about metalastic bushes but couldn't remember if it covered poly bushes.

I was going with spherical all around but for cost and simplicity reasons may go with poly bushes on the inboard pickup points. Don't think it will make a big difference to handling. Radical use them on all their cars so it can't be too bad.

rontyler

posted on 3/2/04 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I know your not looking for advice so, please forgive me... Ever thought about using Delrin? Its really NICE stuff to machine, is tollerant of road grimes, petroleum, etc, and is substatially stiffer than polly.

Regards, Ron Tyler

malcolmstoddart

posted on 3/2/04 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
try "turkite" its a mix of phosphor bronze suspended in PTFE,self lubricating and super smooth...used in CNC machine tool parts...
ProjectLMP

posted on 4/2/04 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ron,
I am using Delrin for some bushes on my steering system. I agree its nice to machine. However, while it appears harder than Nylon it isn't as hard wearing. The type of nylon they use for suspension bushes is also not the usual stuff you can buy from plastics stores. I've got a source for cheap moulded bushes (around $1.5 each) so I can't be bothered to even machine some bushes myself.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.