Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bmw donor
mastercobbler

posted on 30/1/09 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
bmw donor

hi everyone, as you can see i am new to all this, am in ireland and have the choice of two bmw 520's,would appreciate comments on suitability or any thoughts at all,only 200 euros

[Edited on 30/1/09 by mastercobbler]

mr henderson

posted on 30/1/09 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest, they are completely unsuitable. You would be better off coming to England and buying a Sierra, even if it cost quite a bit more. You will save money in the long run

John

speedyxjs

posted on 30/1/09 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the madhouse
With regards to your question. If i can do it with a 6 pot or maybe even a 12, anything is possible

blakep82

posted on 30/1/09 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
theres a few people on here using BMWs. only for engine and gearbox though. not sure its worth getting a WHOLE sierra instead. BMWs engines are awesome, gearbox too

speedy, 6 cylinder? have i missed something?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

TPG

posted on 30/1/09 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
I have looked at BMW donors.I found you will have to do a lot of redesign on the front end.The rear is a bit easier.However,There is a 525 based Haynes roadster somewhere on the haynes forum. I would use just the Bmw engine/gearbox and rear end.
I have started another car.But I have retained the Sierra based front end.I obtained a couple of complete front legs local for £30.The rest I will raid from whatever I stumble across.
Some links of BMW based motors one
two

[Edited on 30/1/09 by TPG]

..Which was nice..

speedyxjs

posted on 30/1/09 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
theres a few people on here using BMWs. only for engine and gearbox though. not sure its worth getting a WHOLE sierra instead. BMWs engines are awesome, gearbox too

speedy, 6 cylinder? have i missed something?

I meant, if i can fit an s6 than pretty much anything could be made to fit

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

mr henderson

posted on 30/1/09 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
It's not a question of whether the stuff can be made to fit so much as whether it's worthwhile doing all the extra work and modifications necessary.

Remember, 520s are only 2 litres, and have a massive engine to produce a relatively small amout of power.

A 318s (1900 16v 4 cylinder) would be a much better bet. But still not really worth doing as a one off.

Stick to the Sierra, buy in uprights, mushrooms etc and get on with your build is my advice

John

mastercobbler

posted on 1/2/09 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
RE BMW DONOR

THANKS FOR ADVICE GUYS,WILL DO SOME MORE THINKING AND DECIDE NOT READY TO START BUILD YET, BUT WONT BE LONG TILL I MOVE TO IRELAND PERMANENTLY AND WILL GET STUCK IN.THANKS AGAIN THIS IS A GREAT PLACE FOR HELP AND IDEAS,
mad_dogpompey

posted on 6/2/09 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
325 engine and box!!!

mad_dogpompey

posted on 6/2/09 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
bmw 325 engine and box

has anybody put a bmw 325 engine and box into a roadster after some pics and finding out if it fits without changing the chassis. and if they ve binned the injection? going to use all the other ford bits and probably the sierra diff. on the plus side not saying where i work put have managed to get two sheets of aircraft spec titanium!! for free!!! result!!
ALEXARAS

posted on 7/2/09 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
I also have a 325i E30 (damaged).
That is with the M20 engine tuned with a cam and ecu. The rear axle is with discbrakes and LSD.
Will that fit a Locost chassis? What are the modifications that will have to be made. On the engine bay and around the running gear?

Many thanks
Alex

Locost 7 RS2000
Beach Buggy Rotary

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.