Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zetec or duretec
omega0684

posted on 30/1/09 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
zetec or duretec

whats better zetec or duretec? advantage and distadvantages please. know very little on the subject apart from reading the burton catalogue. what is the best for potential upgrades in the future etc

discuss....

[Edited on 30/1/09 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
madteg

posted on 30/1/09 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
If you are thinking of a zetec you should get a blacktop because it has solid followers and will rev a lot better than silvertop.
tomblyth

posted on 30/1/09 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
duretec more newer and lighter alloy block! but also look at other alloy block engines (best of the bunch Honda s2000 engine! )
StevieB

posted on 30/1/09 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
There's an article on this very topic in the latest kitcar magazine - I think the zetec wins for now based on (current) purchasing and tuning costs.

I'm sure the balance will swing towards the duratec as it becomes more available and widely used.

beaver34

posted on 30/1/09 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
have the best of both worlds get a zetec se, cheaper tha duratech, but still light weight as there all alloy
StevieB

posted on 30/1/09 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
have the best of both worlds get a zetec se, cheaper tha duratech, but still light weight as there all alloy

I think the tuning options are still a bit limited on that engine for the time being - 150ish bhp on a 1600.

SJC

posted on 30/1/09 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on budget!!!

In my opion duratec is the ultimate all rounder, light, huge tuning potential but down side is the cost.

Base engine can be reasonable but adding bits like flywheel, cluth, TB's and sump soon adds up, but you only have to get them once.

You can get around 180 - 200hp from a standard engine (internally) with TB's and a decent exhaust. If you wanted to upgrade you can get a set of cams for around 500ish pound. Adjustment to the cal and you can get 20hp or so more.

Just my opinion, plus the route i am going :-) Got my engine built up and in the kit on Monday.....
some pics on my photo Archive.

Stu

MikeR

posted on 30/1/09 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
So far no one has mentioned the important difference. The duratec has the exhaust on the wrong side!
omega0684

posted on 30/1/09 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
the reason why i was thinking Duretec is cause the exhaust is on the same side as the pinto that i have installed at the moment.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 31/1/09 at 02:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
the reason why i was thinking Duretec is cause the exhaust is on the same side as the pinto that i have installed at the moment.

which would be a winner for me as the cost of modifying the bodywork / panels would be added onto a zetec install.

I looked at Duratec but went zetec for the same reason - crossflow has the exhaust on the passenger side same as zetec.

yamapinto

posted on 31/1/09 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Does anybody have any ideas on the exhaust port spacings on the Duratec are they even anything like the pinto.

It would be good if a pinto exhausts could be bodged to fit.. or if you could make a new manifold plate for it and the bend the pipes slightly and re-weld them. There both a 2L 4 pot so other than being 8v vs 16v they can't be that different.

[Edited on 31/1/09 by yamapinto]

snapper

posted on 31/1/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Pinto 8 valve, Duratec 16 valves so the exhaust manifold will be more like a Cosworth one.
The duratec comes with a pretty good exhaust manifold anyway and would OK to use untill you want to have one made.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

keith2lp

posted on 31/1/09 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec

Hi

I have a duratec in my veloctiy and yes the cost can be high if you go the tb route (as I did) but what you do get is a light (90kg) engine when stripped of alll the unnecessary bits thats a totally transforms the car.

I upgraded from a pinto and managed to use the pinto exhaust by cutting the duratec manifold plate from the pipes, opening up the holes to suit the pinto pipes. The spacing is about 5 -7mm less than the pinto but I managed to move them around to fit.

I will post some pics later.

Keith

omega0684

posted on 31/1/09 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
thanks kieth that would be great
flak monkey

posted on 2/2/09 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
I am very interested in those pics too Keith, these thought are going through my head at the moment too.

If I can pick up a cheap duratec this year its a possible alternative to supercharging the pinto next winter...

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.