Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: carbs
rosey1

posted on 2/2/09 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
carbs

hi there i have an mk indy with a 2ltr pinto with webber carbs on it the problem is the carbs are playing up is there anyone in scunthorpe area who can help me sort it out i have been in touch with bogg brothers about the bike carb route (which i quite fancy) but its alot of money is there anything else i can do with it . I olso looked at kittcarparts direct theres was a bit cheaper but not sure what to do can anyone help
pewe

posted on 2/2/09 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Before you ditch the Webers contact Fast Road Cars on 01495 244362 for help/advice. He's run more cars using these than you and I've had hot dinners and his spares prices are hard to beat.
HTH
Cheers, Pewe

omega0684

posted on 2/2/09 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
little more info please. what ois actually happing?"the carbs keep playing up" is a little vague.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 2/2/09 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Cheapest solution is to make your own manifold as that is the most costly bit.

Carbs can be found cheap on the bay or even injection if you fancy going down that route.

I made my own mainfold, paid £35 for ZX9R carbs and £80 setup from Bogg Brothers.

You may find some info in my blog.

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/2/09 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
bet its carb icing

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rosey1

posted on 2/2/09 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
sorry about the playing up bit the car runs fine on a run smokes abit when you boot it but its more when you come to a junction its sometime has loads of revs on tick over or none at all it does not have manual choke
rosey1

posted on 2/2/09 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
carb iceing i used to get that on my offroader till i had it converted to su carb
Mr Whippy

posted on 2/2/09 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rosey1
sorry about the playing up bit the car runs fine on a run smokes abit when you boot it but its more when you come to a junction its sometime has loads of revs on tick over or none at all it does not have manual choke

Yip carb icing

How cold is the throttle body (butterfly valve) getting? Without pre-heat from the exhaust manifold chances are the valve will ice up at this time of year. Will be far worse if you have been going fast, then cuts out at idle, mysteriously after switching the engine off for 10 minutes its running normally only to start playing up again. I have 3 cars that suffer from this. My buggy will do it if the air temp is below 7 degs C. An incredibly common problem, my friends MG midget & the spitfire both do it too. Fix by ducting some heated air up to the air filter from around the exhaust manifold, use tin foil wrapped round the header and an aluminum flexi duct for a quick fix (ok it looks sh$t but it works, then take it off in the spring )

Get it sorted, as at some time you’ll back off the throttle and the engine won’t slow down at all with the valve wide open it’s the last thing you need in an emergency.

[Edited on 2/2/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

rosey1

posted on 2/2/09 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
this is what happens in summer its off the road at moment till summer comes back i just want to get it sorted while not in use
tomprescott

posted on 2/2/09 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Its possible that you just need to sort the mixture screw on the carb, spent this weekend fitting two dmtls to two mk2 golfs, ran straight out of the box (which suprised me) but was quite smokey and very juttery, only really driveable in a range of about 500 revs. So if you're on twins I would suggest a tune up and balancing by a pro to see if that sorts it. Also make sure its nothing on the distributor!
rosey1

posted on 2/2/09 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
rang a couple of people and it sounds like the auto choke is dead so think i will get a new webber this time a manual choke see how it goes for this year do you know anyone who is selling one its a 32/36

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.