Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust over or under
RichB

posted on 2/2/09 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust over or under

I have just got my engine in (4age 20v bt). Woohoo! I now need to measuring for plumbing supplies.

One question though is should my top rad hose run below my exhaust headers and have my headers over the side and then down. Or should my exhaust feed down and out through the side panel and therefore run the top hose over the headers?

I've seen it done both ways and would like to know whether there's any advantage in either option.

Cheers
Rich

[Edited on 2/2/09 by RichB]

zilspeed

posted on 2/2/09 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
In my case, I ran the primaries under the top rail because the other way would have involved setting the engine much higher than I really wanted.
As it is, the ports are pointing just under the top rail and the pipes sort of snake around the various tubes.

That's my theory anyway.

twybrow

posted on 2/2/09 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
I had to make this decision too. I went with low downpipes, and top hose running over it. The downpipes are wrapped, but car is not on the road yet, so no idea if it will get too hot. I might look at making some sort of heatshield.....

I would have preferred the high downpipe option as it would have left the side panel uncut.... I would be interested to hear responses on this too....!

BenB

posted on 2/2/09 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
I suppose the only advantage of the low radiator hose is that it isn't directly above the exhaust headers. Hot air rises and all that.....
RichB

posted on 2/2/09 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the quick replies.

Does it matter if the top hose goes down then back up?

Would primaries going straight over the top be easier/cheaper to make?

MikeR

posted on 2/2/09 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I prefer the look of a straight exhaust and it would possibly be cheaper to get made (and easier to make yourself.

It also means you get the side panel without a cut out - so if you change engine you don't have an unsightly hole (but need a new bonnet).

James

posted on 2/2/09 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Having fitted an 'over the rail' exhaust I've decided I much prefer the look of one coming from the side panel.

Another consideration is that I've heard IVA may mean having an exhaust fully covered. A low exit exhaust would be much easier to cover!

But then the steering column is harder to fit.... decisions decisions!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Canada EH!

posted on 3/2/09 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote
The 20V must be quite different than the 16V, my rad hose runs to the intake side of the engine, just above the alternator. RWD 16V.
bimbleuk

posted on 3/2/09 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
RE: 20V v 16V plumbing yes the 20V head has a take off at the back for all the water pipes unlike the 16V.

Strikers from RAW all have the primaries down then out the side panel. Top hose is above the manifold. For looks its a bit neater that way. On my Striker I went for over the top primaries to maximise flow out of the engine and my exhaust doesn't blue quite so much at the initial bends.

My top hose now dips down under the primaries and comes back up with no issues. I also fitted a water to oil cooler under the primaries with the extra room created.

JimSpencer

posted on 3/2/09 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

As per my avatar (Mk3, 4AGE Striker) I've got a RAW supplied set running over the side panel, and there's plenty of clearance even with the engine mounted very low indeed.

It does make life very easy if you come to do any major maintenance as I can have the entire exhaust off the car in a couple of minutes, all in one piece.

procomp

posted on 3/2/09 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

If you are thinking of having a manifold that is of the right primary and secondary lengths you will have to go over the top. It would be quite hard to get the primaries the right length and equal and then get the secondaries with correct length also. Mind anything can be done but no point in making life twice as hard.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.