Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Taxing a donor / Driving a donor without tax
paul the 6th

posted on 6/2/09 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Taxing a donor / Driving a donor without tax

Think I may have found a suitable donor which has mot till june this year but no tax by the look of it. I'm assuming the post office won't accept a print off from short term insurers "DayInsure.com" so I've bashed a quote into direct line and it's come back 185 quid for comprehensive (tpft was 220 quid? what teh feck?)... Now as far as I remember, you get a 14 day grace period to cancel your insurance minus admin costs for paperwork and messing around (think its a percentage of the premium). So I could insure it fully comp, tax it for 6 months, then cancel the insurance and refund the tax disc, all at a cost of around 40 to 50 quid?

The other alternative is be a twisted criminal and take an 80 quid fine for no tax (although knowing my luck I'd end up in the cells for a night). I always like to keep things above board because life becomes very difficult when you try to cheat with these things. Oh and there's always speed camera vans with possible ANPR on the a64 to york (where I live).

What have you lot done in the past when a donor isn't taxed but you needed to get it home & didn't have a trailer?

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Paul TigerB6

posted on 6/2/09 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Book it in at an MOT test station near your home on the day you collect it and then drive it to the MOT. Of course if you have an issue with the car and cant make the MOT but instead have to take it home then thats just one of those things isnt it!!

[Edited on 6/2/09 by Paul TigerB6]

paul the 6th

posted on 6/2/09 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
would a gentlemen and an officer accept this excuse if it has 6 months MOT left?

they'd probbaly get all bbc traffic cops on my ass and start with the "this has 6 months mot left, so why are you taking it for an mot? do I look stupid? do you think I'm stupid? I'm not stupid so why are you treating me like I'm stupid?"

I suppose I'm well within my rights to get a new MOT if I want to because "I want my mot and tax to be in time with each other, then there's no chance of the car ever running out of mot while it is taxed"

just to confirm, does the mot trick really work? Or will I get the "that old line doesnt work with us buddy"?

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mr Whippy

posted on 6/2/09 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
Book it in at an MOT test station near your home on the day you collect it and then drive it to the MOT. Of course if you have an issue with the car and cant make the MOT but instead have to take it home then thats just one of those things isnt it!!

[Edited on 6/2/09 by Paul TigerB6]

exactly and travel by night too.

I move quite a few cars going the back roads at 3 in the morning that are not 'quite' legal. Got 2 to take over in the next few weeks

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paul the 6th

posted on 6/2/09 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
hmmm, only downside with that is there's no other traffic to hide behind and no mot stations are open at 3am lol. They're gonna be asking "why are you driving an untaxed car down dark back roads at 3 in the morning?" lol

--------

sonic

posted on 6/2/09 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Get a trailer for the day,where is the car at??
Mr Whippy

posted on 6/2/09 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul the 6th
hmmm, only downside with that is there's no other traffic to hide behind and no mot stations are open at 3am lol. They're gonna be asking "why are you driving an untaxed car down dark back roads at 3 in the morning?" lol

'I stole it officer...YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE!!!!!'

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tomprescott

posted on 6/2/09 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
So far i've driven 2 cars that aren't quite legal, neither had tax, mot, insurance etc. The first one I drove for about an hour, and went past 2 police in it with no hassle, the second only 20 mins but againno probs. I know people who have driven imports from portsmouth to central london with no paperwork, in convoy at about 120 the whole way and got away with it, but if you're worried about it I'd suggest best to keep it above board - especially if your area is bad for anpr etc.
Mr Whippy

posted on 6/2/09 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
I often watch Police Camera Action and always thought how funny it was that bankrobbers etc drive like lunatics or above the speed limit rather than simply bend in with the crowd

Paul TigerB6

posted on 6/2/09 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
would a gentlemen and an officer accept this excuse if it has 6 months MOT left?

If you bought a car and the MOT certificate was "lost", would you accept that it had an MOT or just book it in for a new one?? Its legal to drive a car without tax to a pre-arranged MOT test - doesnt say anything in the lawbooks about that law not applying if there is a current MOT in place as far as i know.

"Driving an untaxed vehicle to an MOT test

You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station provided you have adequate insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle."

adithorp

posted on 6/2/09 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Booking MOT won't work as that only allows you to drive there un-taxed. It still has to have insurance.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Hellfire

posted on 6/2/09 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Borrow a trailer to transport it. That's probably the safest, legal and cheapest way to do it.

Phil

paul the 6th

posted on 6/2/09 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
i'm 23 and passed my test when i was 17 - 99% certain i don't have the entitlement to tow a trailer

and I'll be arranging insurance for the vehicle, it was just the tax I was worrying about

--------

Steve P

posted on 6/2/09 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
We have used elephant for insurance in the past and cancelled a day later. Full Refund. Make sure to read the terms tho as might have changed.
Paul TigerB6

posted on 6/2/09 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
You can also get single day insurance cover (generally about £10 or so) if the T's & C's dont offer a full refund so its another potential option for insurance.

As you passed your test after 1997 you are right in assuming you cant tow a trailer without the relevant test.

paul the 6th

posted on 6/2/09 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
You can also get single day insurance cover (generally about £10 or so) if the T's & C's dont offer a full refund so its another potential option for insurance.

As you passed your test after 1997 you are right in assuming you cant tow a trailer without the relevant test.

i've used dayinsure.com for short term cover in the past, but i tried a quote with them for this sierra and it popped up a message saying "We are unable to offer cover for this vehicle since it was manufactured before 1993..."

ah well think i should be alright if i check insurance t&c's to make sure i can get a refund etc.

--------

Confused but excited.

posted on 6/2/09 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

"Because the car was miles away and the MoT is first thing in the morning officer."
Worked for me with the wife's XR2i.
Just don't forget the insurance.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

FEZ1025

posted on 6/2/09 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Where is the car coming from, is it local or a good distance?

Alan...

Ninehigh

posted on 7/2/09 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
"I've just bought it today"

Tell them you won't be using it again on the road, and you can check on that at any time you like officer cos by tomorrow it's not going to have a front end. If pushed I'd even explain exactly what I'm doing with it and offer to pay the tax for a day.

If it's the cameras you're worried about don't send off the V5 for a few weeks "Oh yeah forgot about that"

Got caught without tax once, it was only a week or two off. Told them I'm getting it tomorrow as I get paid tonight, that was fine by them...

martyn_16v

posted on 7/2/09 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Post Office won't give you a tax disc with a printed off/faxed insurance certificate any more, so dayinsure is a no go.

I got pulled over driving my donor back with no tax disc on show. I'd passed a police car on a roundabout, it started following me and all of a sudden they were everywhere, 2 cars and a police bike passed me going the other way in the next half a mile, all staring really hard at my windscreen

Thankfully, i'd actually got my tax disc 5 minutes beforehand, I just didn't have a holder so it was on the seat

Ninehigh

posted on 7/2/09 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
i'm 23 and passed my test when i was 17 - 99% certain i don't have the entitlement to tow a trailer

Now I've scrutinised my licence enough times, and you're thinking of the category E trailer with a weight above 750kg. If this includes the contents or just the trailer itself I don't know and personally I wouldn't recommend this being your practice session though.

I can't see any copper kicking off and dragging you to a weighbridge though, I remember pulling a great big trailer tent with a 106 many years back when all of a sudden it lashed it down. I came to a roundabout a bit quick and slid straight across it, the police didn't bat an eyelid

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.