Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tyre buffing
scutter

posted on 9/2/09 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Tyre buffing

Does anyone know of a company who does tyre buffing in the Oxfordshire area?

I'm led to believe that it'll pay to get my new Yoko's buffed down before using them in anger.

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_claydon

posted on 9/2/09 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, can't help with the question, but if you want tyres with most/half of their tread gone, the locost way it to buy part-worns; same end result! Buffing seems like a waste of good rubber to me
JUD

posted on 9/2/09 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Wait for the snow to go and then head out to your nearest Sainsbury's carpark... Rotate front to back halfway through carpark hooning session and bob is your proverbial horse's aunt.

---------------------
MK Indy Blade

pewe

posted on 9/2/09 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Dan, thought you had your own (perimeter) track to scrub them in?
Cheers, Pewe

scutter

posted on 9/2/09 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Das Police has something to say about the carpark donuts!!, mine it's the same on the peri-track at the mo, mind it's more of an ice rink presently.

I've used about 2mm of tread in 3years and 20,000 miles I can't wait that long for the tryes to come in.

Part worns, might be a good idea, I'll have to look into them. Still no suggestions for buffing services though!!

ATB Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 9/2/09 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hold on, you'll pay for someone to wear your tyres out? I'll do it for free if I get the car for a bit with it

Seriously though part worns are about a tenner each

scutter

posted on 10/2/09 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
OK, part worns are out. It's very hard to find part worn premium tyres (everyone wears them to the bone for good reason) and who wants part worn S*it tyres, the ones I have would grip better.

Non race tyres last forever on these type of cars (yes I do try hard enough, ask about) so taking a few mm off won't hurt too much.

Ninehigh, many thanks for your kind offer but

ATB Dan.

procomp

posted on 10/2/09 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

The only ones i can think of down your way are the obvious ones like POLLY - Adams&page - tadworth tyres.

Obviously to get the best you need to have new tyres buffed down to 4-5 mm. using S/H ones only means that they are old and the best of the life span has long since gone. Try asking in the racing section I know most of the 750mc competitors use POLLY or A&P. But there may be some others come to light.

Cheers Matt

scutter

posted on 10/2/09 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Adams and Page are about 45 mins to an hour from me, I'll give them a shout, Matt your closer than the rest of those people I may have to pop up your way.

ATB Dan.

[Edited on 10/2/09 by scutter]

C10CoryM

posted on 10/2/09 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Are trying to prevent the tread from "chunking" because the lugs are too deep and overheat on the track?
Or are you just trying to expose some softer rubber?
If the latter, you may just want to try putting a good heat cycle in them. Cna make a huge difference to get rid of the skin on the outside.
Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

02GF74

posted on 11/2/09 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
didn't someone post about some stuff you can paint onto the tread that makes the rubber softer/stickier?

procomp

posted on 11/2/09 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

It will be purely to get the depth of the blocks reduced. Improves the handling no end. Assuming we are talking road tread pattern A539 or the 21's etc.

Cheers Matt

Ps I do not have the facilities to buff the tyres. 99% of the tyres we use come from Polly or A&P who supply them already done.

DarrenW

posted on 11/2/09 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
didn't someone post about some stuff you can paint onto the tread that makes the rubber softer/stickier?

Isnt that something that can put a bit of life back into old sticky tyres that have hardened. I seem to recall it was frowned upon in some race series.

carpmart

posted on 11/2/09 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Its called Hot Lap or something like that. IIRC, it can be used on new and used tyres

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

C10CoryM

posted on 11/2/09 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't know shaving tires helps the handling. I thought it just kept them from "chunking" where large chunks come off from the tread lugs overheating.

Tire softeners are temporary and will actually make you tires harder and rot afterwards when they cool. Not for street/track use for sure.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

Ninehigh

posted on 11/2/09 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C10CoryM
Tire softeners are temporary and will actually make you tires harder and rot afterwards when they cool. Not for street/track use for sure.

What other uses are there?

andrew830

posted on 13/2/09 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
i made my own tyre buffer,when we used avons on stockcars we had to buff most of the tread off so they were almost a slick.i bought a big lathe put a halfshaft in the chuck and bolted the wheel and tyre on.next i mounted a 10mm thick plate on the back of the tool holder so it stuck out the side nearest the chuck,mounted on the plate was a 3hp motor with a circular saw blade on it.the blade was well guarded!!.i put the lathe going as slow as possible about 20rpm fire up the saw and send it across the tyre as if you were cutting a thread.it worked a treat
scutter

posted on 13/2/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
No doubt that worked, but I'm scared from just reading it

ATB Dan.

cjtheman

posted on 13/2/09 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrew830
i made my own tyre buffer,when we used avons on stockcars we had to buff most of the tread off so they were almost a slick.i bought a big lathe put a halfshaft in the chuck and bolted the wheel and tyre on.next i mounted a 10mm thick plate on the back of the tool holder so it stuck out the side nearest the chuck,mounted on the plate was a 3hp motor with a circular saw blade on it.the blade was well guarded!!.i put the lathe going as slow as possible about 20rpm fire up the saw and send it across the tyre as if you were cutting a thread.it worked a treat

sounds like something out of one of the saw movies

wanted

sunny weather

sva pass 12/6/09
taxed 16/6/09

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.