Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternative Fuel Tank Location
lsdweb

posted on 9/2/09 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Alternative Fuel Tank Location

I'm locating my fuel tank in a different (safer!) location - I thought I'd share the mock up -

http://picasaweb.google.com/lsdweb0/WynEdwardsWestfieldRebuild#5300909932620940290

and

http://picasaweb.google.com/lsdweb0/WynEdwardsWestfieldRebuild#5300910170398577010

It won;t be cardboard!

Wyn

RichardK

posted on 9/2/09 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Why is that safer? wouldn't a ruptured fuel tank from a side impact cover the driver in fuel and a stink in the drivers bay from the breather? Is the battery going next to it?

Not heard of any rear ended 7's bursting in flames from the tank and so not sure if the move from a tried and tested position is worth the effort.

Hope you don't mind these comments!

Take care

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
yellow melos

posted on 9/2/09 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
if you are concerned about being read eded then put some extra chassis rails around the tank.

The other thing with moving the tank is the weight distribution and the affects on the handling that you may get.

Just my 2 pence worth.

blakep82

posted on 9/2/09 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
have to agree ^
i'm never too sure on putting a fuel tank so close to an engine. heat, exhausts, etc

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

lsdweb

posted on 10/2/09 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Reason number 1 -
picture And yes that is my chassis (but before I owned it). I believe the corners on a 7 are far more vulnerable than the position I'm putting the tank in.

Secondly - weight distribution. Whilst the tank will only carry about 5kg of fuel, I want to get the distribution right and the early indications are this is the best place. Battery will go wherever it needs to for correct weight distribution.

Thirdly - weight. This position will reduce the need for long fuel lines to the rear.

I have no problems with mounting it close to the engine (my single seater one is even closer! Many hillclimb single seaters have their fuel tank in the engine bay eg Jedi. The vent willl run away from the engine bay. The one concern I have is refuelling but I will be careful and wait for things to cool off first.

Regards

Wyn

[Edited on 10/2/09 by lsdweb]

procomp

posted on 10/2/09 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Wyn.

You have every right to be concerned about the location off the tank at the very rear of the car. This is why Westfield made it compulcery on there race cars and championship that the tanks where moved to above the axle / diff area. We our self's make a safety tank that is re positioned from the rear due to the many incidents that have been seen whith 7 types racing.

Also locating a large mass such as the fuel tank closer to the center of the CoG on the car will improve the handling and balance. The only things to check are the MSA regulations regarding drivers space and the % that must be available for the passenger space And also it must be behind a fully sealed flame proof panel / bulkhead. The early race Westfields we built all had the tanks built as dummy passenger seats but they finally nailed us on the 75% off drivers space available for the passenger and would not accept the sealed tank as being a seat LOL. Certainly worth pursuing that location though.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 10/2/09 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
interesting - why is it so high up and not resting on the rails?

it could be argued that there is no safe place in a car to carry inflammable fuel; GT40 had twin side tanks.

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/2/09 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
personally I quite like the new location, especially if the cars going to have a cage too and far better than right at the back. Just look at the chassis damage at the rear, just where the old tank was.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

idl1975

posted on 10/2/09 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Dax mount the Rush m/c tank in the middle. IMHO, it's a better location for mass centralisation, impact protection, freeing up the boot area for, er, boot space (wish I had some on the Indy) and reducing the length of the fuel line run.

Also IMHO, if the seven is hit hard enough that the tank gets punctured in that location, you will have other things to worry about!

quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
Reason number 1 -
picture And yes that is my chassis (but before I owned it). I believe the corners on a 7 are far more vulnerable than the position I'm putting the tank in.

Secondly - weight distribution. Whilst the tank will only carry about 5kg of fuel, I want to get the distribution right and the early indications are this is the best place. Battery will go wherever it needs to for correct weight distribution.

Thirdly - weight. This position will reduce the need for long fuel lines to the rear.

I have no problems with mounting it close to the engine (my single seater one is even closer! Many hillclimb single seaters have their fuel tank in the engine bay eg Jedi. The vent willl run away from the engine bay. The one concern I have is refuelling but I will be careful and wait for things to cool off first.

Regards

Wyn

lsdweb

posted on 10/2/09 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Thank guys

Matt - I toyed with the fake seat but knew there had been problems before! I will have a bulkhead between the tank and the passenger compartment - it's a bit of a gamble with the scrutineers over space - I could end up in Sport Libre but that's not a huge problem for me.

02GF74 - it's up there as it'll have the bike fuel pump mounted in the base - this is a bit of a compromise as, ideally, i'd like it on the floor, but then I'd have to have low and high pressure pumps, filters and a swirl pot, adding to the weight and complexity!

coozer

posted on 10/2/09 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
and did the damage seen on the frame cause a rupture or fire??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

dogwood

posted on 10/2/09 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Not wanting to hijack...but...

I was considering puting my tank here.
I know it will be higher, but feel safer.
comments.

David

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

iank

posted on 10/2/09 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dogwood
Not wanting to hijack...but...

I was considering puting my tank here.
I know it will be higher, but feel safer.
comments.

David

Looks like where Procomp and Westfield put their race tanks. See Matt's post above

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

dogwood

posted on 10/2/09 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
looks like where Procomp and Westfield put their race tanks. See Matt's post above

Missed that..
So not such a bad idea after all..

David

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

lsdweb

posted on 10/2/09 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure if the tank did rupture during the shunt but it was pretty damaged. The photo of the chassis damage (here) shows how much damage occurred.

I'm competing in hillclimbs where the scenery is very close (been into to it a few times too) so I want to trya dn make it as safe as possible and maximise the balance.

Wyn

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 10/2/09 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
It did get quite a shunt

Ive often thought about the space between the axle and the passenger cell twin tank teed at the bottom

And yes we have seen the tanks split and pour fuel every where....think there`s a tube clip of a caterham race that ended up bad

procomp

posted on 10/2/09 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Quote "Ive often thought about the space between the axle and the passenger cell twin tank teed at the bottom"

Thats exactly where our LA petrol tanks go. The one that was involved in an accident wich had a 50+ Mph rear end shunt survived perfectly and drove to the pits afterwards . Shame the pump had split in half as he could have finished the race if it hadn't been red flagged.

Cheers Matt

kb58

posted on 10/2/09 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
How do you guys attach the tanks to the chassis? Brackets with bolts? Reason I ask is because here in the States, the racing rules say the tank has to have separate straps, though this may apply only to fuel cells.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

procomp

posted on 10/2/09 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

over here it is generally accepted that they should be mounted using separate straps. However there's a lot that are still directly bolted to the chassis. In the pic of our own above there is little choice but to bolt it to the rear bulkhead. But is out of harms way and little chance of it moving in any impact. It is the ones that are mounted at the very rear on a seven type and bolted directly to the chassis that worry me. There's only one outcome and that's the tank getting ripped of it's mountings and fuel every where as has happened in many racing sevens with the tanks mounted there and bolted down.

Cheers Matt

Ninehigh

posted on 11/2/09 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Just to clarfiy, it's going just behind the engine?
I was toying with the idea of putting the engine in the back and having the fuel tank up front but then decided against the headache. Is the 5kg weight the tank or the fuel? My only concern is heat from the engine or a splash while refueling, otherwise I'd have doubts that a small tank like that would be ripped away so easily.

Oh and red flag= end of race or just stopped for now?

lsdweb

posted on 11/2/09 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Yes - behind the engine. Many single seaters, including mine, have the fuel tank situated right in front of the engine - mine actually has the exhaust headers almost touching the aluminium bulkhead in between.

Refuelling is my only concern - I'll probably build some kind of shield that I'll pop in place when refuelling. It'll have some kind of drip / catch tray to direct fuel away too.

5kg is the approximate weight of the fuel - that's roughly 6.5 litres which is more than enough!

lsdweb

posted on 22/2/09 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

and did the damage seen on the frame cause a rupture or fire??

Coozer - I found out last night - yes the tank ruptured!

westy turbo

posted on 23/2/09 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
If Refuelling finds a way,then will be very intresting and also worths a try....
lsdweb

posted on 4/3/09 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
And here's the tank!

I forgot to tell Spencer about the fuel return fitting so that needs to go on.

[Edited on 4/3/09 by lsdweb] Rescued attachment fuel tank.JPG
Rescued attachment fuel tank.JPG

lsdweb

posted on 4/3/09 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
And just realised that the bike pump I'm using has a built in return! So no need for another fitting!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.